Majjiga charu recipe – There are so many versions of seasoned or spiced yogurts in Indian cuisine. Apart from the Majiga pulusu, Majiga charu is another seasoned yogurt dish from the Andhra cuisine. It is not very popular though. Majiga pulusu is made with vegetables, while majjiga charu doesn’t need any vegetables except onions.
To make this majjiga charu, onions are slightly fried and then added to the yogurt along with tempering.There are also many versions of this dish.
These seasoned yogurts are best served during summers with just steamed rice. They are quick to prepare too. If you are looking for more seasoned yogurt recipes , check out
To make majjiga pulusu, you can use veggies like bottle gourd, bhindi & drumsticks. If using bottle gourd & drumsticks, cook them until tender and add here after sauteing the onions.
If using bhindi, saute until the pieces are tender and lose the stickiness.
To make majjiga pulusu some people use sour curd. However it is a personal choice. I use homemade yogurt made by following this post on how to make curd.
How to make
1. Heat oil in a pan. Then add mustard, cumin, chana dal and urad dal.
2. When the dal turns golden, add ginger and saute until it turns fragrant.
3. Add curry leaves and green chilies. Stir fry for a while. When the curry leaves turn crisp, add in onions and fry lightly until transparent yet crunchy.
4. Add hing, turmeric and salt. If using fenugreek powder add it. Cool this completely.
5. Meanwhile add curd or yogurt to a serving bowl. Whisk it well with a fork. Add the cooled mixture to the whisked curd. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Majjiga charu recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- 1 cup curd / perugu (whisked)
- 1 tsp ginger chopped or paste
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Pinch hing /asafoetida
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 Pinch fenugreek seeds or ¼ teaspoon roasted fenugreek seeds powder
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp oil as needed
- ⅛ to ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chana dal (optional)
- ½ tsp urad dal (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan. Then add mustard, cumin, fenugreek seeds, chana dal and urad dal.
- Fry until the dals turn golden. Then saute ginger until it turns aromatic for 30 seconds.
- Add curry leaves and green chilies. Saute until the leaves turn golden.
- Next add onions and fry till they begin to turn pink. They should be partially cooked yet keep the crunch. Turn off the stove.
- Next add turmeric, hing and salt. Cool this completely.
- Meanwhile add curd to a bowl and whisk it well. Then add the cooled tempering to this along with coriander leaves. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve majjiga chaaru with rice.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes