majjiga charu recipe – There are so many versions of seasoned or spiced yogurts in Indian cuisine. Apart from the Majiga pulusu, Majiga charu is another seasoned yogurt dish from the Andhra cuisine. It is not very popular though. Majiga pulusu is made with vegetables; while majiga charu doesn’t need any vegetables except onions.
To make this majjiga charu, onions are slightly fried and then added to the yogurt along with tempering.There are also many versions of this dish.
These seasoned yogurts are best served during summers with just steamed rice. They are quick to prepare too. If you are looking for more seasoned yogurt recipes , check out
step by step photos on how to make andhra majjiga charu
1. Heat oil in a pan, mustard, cumin. When they splutter add chopped ot slit green chili, ginger and curry leaves.
2. Add onions and fry lightly. Add hing, turmeric and salt. If using fenugreek powder add it. Cool it and then add to whisked curd. You can also add chopped coriander leaves.
majjiga charu recipe - seasoned yogurt recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 onion Medium, sliced thinly
- 1 cup curd / perugu (beaten)
- 1 ginger small piece sliced or chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Pinch hing
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 Pinch fenugreek seeds /menthulu powdered
- 1 Handful coriander leaves minced
- oil as needed
How to make the recipe
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add mustard, cumin, fenugreek seeds, once they begin to splutter
- Add curry leaves, green chilies, ginger and hing
- Fry till the green chilies are roasted well and you get an aroma
- Add onions, sprinkle salt and fry till the onions begin to turn pink. Do not over fry, else onions begin to lose the crunch.
- Allow the onions to cool else sometimes hot onions will curdle the yogurt. Add this to the whisked yogurt, adjust salt.
- Garnish majjiga charu with coriander