Egg mayo sandwich recipe – Quick and easy egg salad sandwich with easy ideas for mayo substitute. This egg mayo sandwich is surely a time saver in the busy mornings. Your Breakfast sandwich will be ready in minutes and it tastes delicious. There are not many ways this sandwich is made except for the seasoning and flavoring ingredients which can be altered to suit your liking.
Usually egg mayo sandwich is made without much flavoring, herbs etc. That’s a bit bland for our taste buds, so I use some herbs, garlic, pepper & chili flakes which really enhances the taste and flavor.
It is good to consume these sandwiches within 2 hours of preparing as the eggs and mayo are unsafe for consumption after 2 hours unless refrigerated.
These egg salad sandwiches are also great for evening snack or meal along with some tomato soup.
1. Boil eggs in pot or pressure cooker. Cool them and peel. I boil them in my instant pot for 7 minutes. Then let the pressure release naturally. I keep them in cold water for a while. Then peel them.
2. Chop the eggs to small bites without messing up the yolks much.
3. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, pepper, mustard powder or sauce, coriander or parsley and dried herbs if using. If you want to make your own mustard powder, just run a spoon full of seeds in a blender and make a fine powder.
Use about 1/8 tsp i.e 2 generous pinches. You can skip onions and garlic. You can also soak them in lemon juice for 20 mins and use. That helps to remove the pungent taste and flavor.
4. Add mayo as desired. You can use as much as you like. If you do not eat mayo then add cream cheese or Greek yogurt.
5. Mix everything well. Add red chilli flakes. You can add very little salt if needed since mayo is already salted. Taste this and add lemon juice if desired.
How to make egg mayo sandwich
6. I prefer to toast the bread in preheated oven for 3 to 4 mins at 180 C. You can also toast on a griddle/ tawa or in a toaster. Spread the prepared egg mayo mixture on the bread.
Serve egg mayo sandwich within 2 hours or chill in refrigerator until used.
Egg mayo sandwich recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices Bread
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional, mayo is high in fats, so you can skip)
- 3 Boiled eggs
- 3 to 4 tablespoon mayonnaise (or greek yogurt or cream cheese)
- ¾ to 1 tablespoon mustard or ⅛ tsp ground mustard (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper (ground pepper)
- Salt as needed (mayo already has salt, so use very less)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice (mayo has lemon or vinegar, so use less) (optional)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon Red chill flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 garlic clove minced finely (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (oregano or mixed herbs)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons parsley or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Gently chop boiled eggs to small cubes and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, red chilli flakes, dried herbs, parsley, black pepper, mustard, garlic and onion.
- Mix well and taste it. If needed then add salt and vinegar or lemon juice.
- Optionally butter the bread slices and toast them on a griddle or in a toaster.
- Or you can also toast them in a preheated oven at 350 F or 180 C for 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust the grill time as desired. Over toasting will make it hard.
- Cool them slightly, then spread the prepared egg salad on a bread slice.
- Cover with another slice. Cut the sandwich with a serrated knife.
- Serve egg mayo sandwich within 2 hours of preparing or chill in refrigerator.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes