Club sandwich recipe with video & step by step photos – Quick, healthy and delicious tasting vegetarian club Sandwich that can be enjoyed for a brunch, snack or a meal. There are so many kinds of club sandwiches served across the globe which are commonly the meat versions. This club sandwich is completely vegetarian including the mayo that has been used. If you do not have eggless mayo you can still go ahead making these with hung curd (greek yogurt) or cream cheese or any cheese spread.
This veg club sandwich recipe is not Indianized so no Indian spices, spice powders, chutney spreads are used. But it tastes damn delicious with the delicate flavors of stir fried veggies. The filling is adapted from my stir fried cabbage recipe. I have used veggies like cabbage, onions, capsicum (bell peppers) , carrots. You can use even veggies like golden pumpkin, Spring onions, zucchini and mushrooms.
I have made this sandwich on a tawa/ griddle. However you can also grill the veggies in a oven with the same seasoning & additional herbs of your choice.
You may like to check these 15 Veg sandwich recipes.
Veg club sandwich recipe
Veg club sandwich recipe | Vegetarian club sandwich recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 6 slices bread your choice (I used whole grain bread)
- 2 tbsps mayonnaise (eggless or vegan mayo, if you don't eat real mayo)
- 1 garlic medium , chopped
- 1 cup cabbage julienned
- ½ to ¾ cup bell peppers / capsicum julienned
- 1 onion medium , thinly sliced
- 1 carrot medium sized , julienned
- 1 tbsp oil (I used cold pressed peanut oil)
- ½ tsp pepper coarsely crushed
- salt very little
- 1 tomato medium (ripe & tomato)
- 4 to 8 lettuce leaves (use as desired)
- 1 potato medium , sliced & boiled
- pepper as needed
- salt as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparing the veggies
- Slice potato to 1/4 inch thick pieces and boil them until just cooked. Drain the water and set aside.
- While the potato boils, prepare lettuce by rinsing under running water drain and set aside.
- Wash and shred cabbage, carrot, onion and other veggies you prefer.
- Toast the bread until crisp. Set these aside.
- Heat the same pan with oil and fry the boiled potato slices until crisp on both the sides. Sprinkle some salt if desired. Set these aside.
- Add garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add all the veggies (for filling) except tomatoes. Saute on a high flame for 3 to 4 mins until you begin to smell the veggies good. Turn off the stove. Add pepper and little salt. Take care not to add too much salt as there is salt already in mayo.
Assembling veg club sandwich
- Spread mayo on all the slices on one side. This helps to hold the filling in place.
- Place lettuce on one slice , then roasted potatoes, pepper and pinch of salt. Then tomatoes.
- On the second slice, place lettuce & stir fried veggies. Cover the filling with the mayo side down.
- Secure the sandwich with sandwich picks and then cut the sandwich to halves or quarters.
- Serve veg club sandwich with in 2 hours.
Step by step photos – how to make veg club sandwich
1. Wash and peel a potato, slice it to 1/4 inch pieces. Boil them in a pan until just done. Drain water and set aside.
2. Toast the bread slices until crisp. You can also do this in a oven or toaster.
3. Add a tsp of oil and roast potatoes on both sides till crispy. You can also sprinkle some spice powders if you like. Set these aside.
4. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan. Add garlic and saute for a minute.
5. Add onions, cabbage, carrots and capsicum. Stir fry on a high flame for 3 to 4 mins without burning. This gives a good aroma to the veggies. You can also grill them in oven by tossing them in some oil.
6. Add salt, chili flakes and pepper. Mix and set aside to cool a bit.
7. Spread mayo or cream cheese or hung curd as desired.
8. On the first slice place lettuce, potatoes over it, then sprinkle some pepper and salt if not used earlier. Then tomatoes.
9. on another slice, place lettuce and then some stir fried veggies.
10. Begin to assemble. Bread with Tomato on the bottom.
11. Then place the slice with stir fried veggie over the first one.
12. Cover with the last slice with the mayo side down. Safe the sandwich with sandwich picks. Press down the sandwich and cut to halve or quarters.
Serve veg club sandwich with in 2 hours.