Tomato Cucumber Sandwich is the easiest you can whip up under 10 mins! An absolute beginner recipe with zero cooking. Slice the tomatoes & cucumbers, later assemble them with an easy homemade or store bought spread, spices and herbs. These tomato cucumber sandwiches are great for a busy morning breakfast or a tea-time snack. They also make a great high tea snack or a party appetizer.
These are made just like the English Cucumber Sandwiches but customized to choice. Though white bread is the most common choice to make these tomato cucumber sandwich, you can use any bread of choice, like whole meal bread or white bread.
Usually these sandwiches are made with untoasted bread. The fresh bread is simply buttered generously and then the tomatoes and cucumbers are layered. However if you prefer you may toast the bread for a crisp texture.
In this recipe to make the sandwiches delicious, use a creamy spread like Mayonnaise, cream cheese or Greek yogurt. This gives a rich, creamy and delicious taste. I make these often with Indian Hung curd which is the same as Greek Yogurt or strained yogurt.
These tomato cucumber sandwiches are also spiced with red chilli flakes and ground black pepper for heat. You may skip them if making for kids. Some dried Italian herbs can also be added for flavor.
How to make Tomato Cucumber Sandwich (Stepwise Photos)
1. Thick and firm slices of bread is good for making these sandwiches. Spread soft butter first over the bread slices as it is going to prevent the bread from turning soggy. If you plan to carry these to work, then toast the bread until crisp without applying butter. When it cools down smear the butter. This way the sandwich will keep good for few hours.
2. Spread hung curd or mayonnaise or cheese spread or cream cheese as desired. You can follow this post on how to make hung curd if you do not know how to make it. Alternately add half cup of homemade curd or dahi to a muslin cloth and squeeze off the excess whey.
3. Add herbs and spices. I used hot red chili flakes, black salt, pepper powder and chaat masala. Gently spread the spice powders evenly.
4. Place the slices of onions, tomatoes and cucumber.
5. Repeat sprinkling spice powders and herbs. I have used pepper powder, black salt and chaat masala powder. Make sure you add enough salt and spice at this stage.
6. Cover with another slice of bread and press down gently. Cut to squares or triangles.
Serve tomato cucumber sandwich.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread (white or brown)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter soft
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (or hung curd or mayonnaise or cream cheese)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon black pepper (ground/ powdered)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or black salt as needed
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ cucumber sliced
- ½ teaspoon Chaat masala (optional)
How to make Tomato Cucumber Sandwich
- Trim the edges of the bread and smear butter generously to prevent the sandwiches from turning soggy. You can also toast the bread to keep the sandwich crisp for longer.
- Spread the Greek yogurt or mayo or cream cheese generously.
- Sprinkle chaat masala (optional), red chili flakes, pepper powder and salt. Gently spread the spice powders and salt evenly.
- Place onions, cucumber, tomatoes.
- Repeat sprinkling the chaat masala, pepper and salt.
- Cover with another slice and cut as desired.
- Serve tomato cucumber sandwich for breakfast,
- If you do not have Greek yogurt, make your own from Homemade curd. Add half a cup of yogurt to a cheese/muslin cloth and gently squeeze off excess whey. Or you can also make a know of the cloth and hang it over a hook for the whey to drain up overnight in the fridge.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes