Eggless banana muffins recipe with video & step by step photos – Delicious, simple and quick to make banana muffins made with whole wheat flour & without eggs. These muffins make a very good snack or breakfast along with a cup of milk or tea. These can also be packed in kids’ school box for their snack.
I am often left with over ripe bananas which I use up to make pancakes, muffins, cupcakes and cakes. These eggless banana muffins are my first choice always as they are light on the tummy – no eggs & no milk. They are also very quick to make.
This eggless muffins recipe is roughly adapted from the Eggless banana bread recipe which I shared before. But the amount of sugar used here is lesser than the other.
I made these with melted butter however they can also be made with any neutral cooking oil. I had tried these before with coconut oil & have turned out good.
I have topped these with mini choco chips, you can also make these plain or use chopped walnuts or raisins.
These keep good at room temperature for a day and in the fridge for about 4 to 5 days. If they are made using butter, you will need to heat them up in a microwave for 40 seconds before serving.
For a crusty top, you can mix 1 ½ tbsp of sugar with 1 ½ tbsp fine chopped nuts or quick cook oats and sprinkle on top before baking.
How to make banana muffins without eggs
1. Preheat the oven at 170 C for at least 15 to 20 mins. Mash well 2 large or 3 medium ripe bananas in a bowl. I used 2 large ones and it came up to 1 cup mash.
2. Add ¾ cup sugar. You can also use 2 tbsps more if you have a sweet tooth. I used ¾ cup organic fine sugar. Add ¼ cup + 2 tbsps water (about 6 tbsps).
3. Mix well to dissolve the sugar.
4. Add ½ cup melted butter or 1/3 cup oil. This time I have used melted butter. I had made these earlier with coconut oil and felt they were very good. I melted butter in a pan and used.
5. Add 2 tsps lemon or lime juice.
6. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
7. Mix everything well.
8. You can sieve flour, soda and salt to a separate bowl. But I have directly sieved all the three ingredients after mixing well. We need to add only half of the flour.
9. Mix it gently.
10. Sieve the other half of the flour too.
11. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
12. The batter must be lump free and uniform. You can add walnuts and choco chips, i did not add any.
13. Scoop off the batter equally to muffin cups. You will be able to make about 9 large or 12 medium sized muffins.
14. I sprinkled some choco chips on top. You can also sprinkle some chopped walnuts or raisins.
15. Bake for 18 to 20 mins if making medium sized muffins. 23 mins if making large ones. I baked for 20 mins.
Check if they are baked well by inserting a skewer in a muffin. The skewer comes out clean if done. Cool them on a wire rack.
Serve warm with milk, tea or coffee.
Eggless banana muffins recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for banana muffins
- 1 cup bananas mashed (2 large ripe bananas or 3 medium)
- ¾ cup sugar (prefer organic, can use 2 tbsps more)
- ¼ cup water + 2 tbsps (½ cup for atta)
- ½ cup butter melted or 1/3 cup oil (any neutral oil)
- 2 tsps lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or white wheat flour) (or atta)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder (optional, use true cinnamon)
- ¼ cup mini choco chips or walnuts or raisins (can use up to ½ cup)
Preparation for eggless banana muffins
- Preheat the oven at 170 C for at least 15 to 20 mins.
- Place muffin liners in a muffin tray.
- Mash ripe bananas very well with a masher or a fork.
- Add it to a mixing bowl along with sugar and water. Mix until sugar dissolves completely.
- Add melted butter or oil, vanillla and lemon juice. Stir everything well.
- Add flour, soda, salt and cinnamon to a sieve and mix gently with a spoon.
- Sieve half of the flour to the liquid ingredients.
- Gently mix and sieve the rest of the flour.
- Mix everything well until just combined. Do not over mix the batter. This will make the muffins tough.
- Scoop off small amounts of batter with a ladle or a ice cream scoop to all the liners.
- Top them with choco chips or walnuts.
Baking banana muffins
- Bake them exactly for 18 to 20 mins. Baking time may vary depending on your oven. You may need to bake a little longer.
- When they are completely baked, a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool eggless banana muffins on a wire rack and serve warm with milk or tea.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes