Banana milkshake is the most loved drink by kids. I am sharing a simple milkshake made without ice cream, sugar or any artificial sweeteners. This banana shake is nutritious, healthy and tastes delicious. Most of us believe that a banana shake helps kids to gain weight. I am no exception to this. So I make it sometimes for my kids.
This can be served for Breakfast or as a after school refreshment. This banana shake is suitable not only to kids but also to everyone.
This banana milkshake uses no fancy or processed ingredients like ice cream, whey powder, protein powder, whipped cream, milk powder etc but is made with simple ingredients.
Fruits and dairy are one of the most known incompatible combinations that can cause havoc on the digestive system. So I often make banana milkshake with vegan or non dairy homemade milk like almond or coconut milk.
I haven’t been using the store bought vegan milk for sometime now. I do not make the vegan milk in advance as well. Instead I make the milk and the banana shake both at one time in the same blender.
If you do not follow the food combining rules, then you can substitute water with milk in the recipe.
How to make banana shake
1. If using regular milk, then boil, cool and chill in the fridge. According to ayurveda boiled milk is easier to digest.
2. I make almond milk instead of using regular milk. So I wash and soak the almonds for 4 to 6 hours. However you can skip and just add them directly to the blender.
3. Peel off the skin. If well soaked the peels just come off easily.
4. Give the nuts a good rinse.
5. Add them to the blender.
6. Add the sweetener. I added 2 dates. Do add as needed.
7. Pour chilled water or milk. You can also use coconut milk.
8. I added vanilla extract. Cinnamon powder goes well during winters and cardamom powder during summers.
9. Blend until the nuts are smoothly blended and you have frothy milk.
10. Add bananas. Break them to 2 to 3 parts. I do not add ice cubes for the kids. If using you can add them here.
11. Blend until smooth and frothy.
Serve banana milkshake immediately.
Tips to make banana shake
- Ripe bananas are best suited for milkshake. So avoid unripe or green bananas. The larger variety are more suitable & yield really thick & luscious banana shake.
- Use the the sweeter variety bananas as they naturally sweeten the shake. so you can avoid using a lot of unhealthy sugar.
- If using dairy milk, then always boil or heat the milk. Next cool it & chill if you prefer chilled banana milkshake. This ensures the milk is still fit to consume. Using milk without heating may curdle the drink.
- A handful of soaked nuts will enhance the taste, nutrition and texture of the banana shake.
- You can also add your favorite fruits to this like strawberry, chikoo, avacado.
Banana milkshake recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for banana shake
- 2 large Bananas (Ripe)
- 2 to 4 dates or (sugar or maple syrup as needed)
- ½ tsp cinnamon or ¼ tsp cardamom powder (or vanilla extract)
- 2 ice cubes or milk ice cubes (optional)
- 1½ cups chilled milk or water or coconut milk
- 24 almonds (1 to 1½ ounce) or ½ cup fresh coconut
Prepare milk for banana milkshake
- If using milk boil, cool and chill it. Using milk directly without boiling may curdle the shake.
- Optional – Wash and soak the almonds for 4 to 6 hours. Peel the skin and discard. Give the almonds a good rinse. You can also add them directly to the blender without soaking and blanching.
- Add them to a blender jar. Also add dates or sugar.
- Next put in the cinnamon or cardamom powder.
- Pour the water or milk. Then blend well. To reduce the chunks, blend them as smooth as possible.
How to make banana shake
- Add banana and ice cubes if using. Blend until smooth and frothy.
- Pour banana shake to serving glasses. Consume the milkshake immediately. You can top the banana shake with your favorite toppings. I usually add a pinch of cinnamon.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes