Banana milkshake is a popular drink for all age groups. This homemade banana shake is a prefect treat anytime round the year! Super delicious, flavorsome, creamy and oh so good that you will love this for the nutrition it provides. It is made with all natural ingredients & apart from being loaded with vitamins and minerals, it is protein packed too.
One serving of this banana shake is going to boost your energy levels and keep you going through the busy mornings.
Banana shake is basically a sweetened drink made by blending ripe bananas, milk, ice cream, flavorings and a sweetener. There are different kinds of banana milkshakes made across the world with varying ingredients like ice cream, whey powder, protein powder, whipping cream, dry milk etc.
Let us reserve all these processed ingredients for a special occasion when you want to indulge in a dessert drink. Instead try out my simplest and healthy recipe to make all-natural banana shake at home. If you prefer to limit fancy processed ingredients in your daily diet, I am sure you will love this.
My mom, a fitness freak always made our milkshakes with lots of nuts, dates and other kinds of dried fruits. Apart from adding protein, vitamins and minerals, these ingredients also add healthy fats to the shake. So this recipe is the way my mom would make for us.
With so many good things in one shake, this makes for a great energy boosting drink for all age groups including toddlers and kids.
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medicine system advises not to combine fruits and dairy as they make an incompatible combination. It is believed that consumption of these combinations can disrupt the healthy digestive system in the long run.
I have grown up with all these beliefs so we use vegan milk for our banana shake & all other shakes as well. However this is just our way of making banana shake as a refreshment.
If you want to make an ice cream shop style shake then simply add ice cream instead of the nuts & water/milk in the recipe. I have the details below and in the recipe card. In this post I have shown 2 ways to make banana shake.
How to make banana shake (stepwise photos)
1. Add 2 ripe bananas. Here I have also added 20 to 24 cashews for a protein boost. You may skip them if you don’t prefer or add 6 scoops of vanilla ice cream instead. Cashews give a more rich and creamy consistency to your banana shake. Also you can optionally soak them for 3 to 4 hours for health benefits.
2. You may skip this step if using ice cream. Add sugar or honey as per your taste. 2 tbsps is a good amount. I used 4 pitted dates instead of sugar. Just note that adding too many dates can alter the color of your shake. Also add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or ¼ tsp cardamom powder.
3. I also add 1 tsp vanilla extract for extra flavor.
4. Pour 1½ cups chilled milk. If using ice cream you will need only half a cup of milk. I used this homemade almond milk here. You can also use coconut milk.
5. Blend everything to smooth shake. You may add more milk if you prefer to thin down or add more bananas to thicken.
Pour banana shake to serving glasses immediately and serve.
How to make banana milkshake with almonds
Years ago we stopped using store bought vegan milk and moved on to making our own at home. To make this banana shake, I do not blend and extract the milk from the nut pulp but instead add the nuts to the blender and make the milk. Then simply add the fruit and flavoring ingredients. Blend it to a smooth, rich and creamy shake.
1. If using regular milk, then boil, cool and chill in the fridge. According to ayurveda boiled milk is easier to digest.
2. I make almond milk instead of using regular milk. So I wash and soak the almonds for 4 to 6 hours. However you can skip and just add them directly to the blender.
3. Peel off the skin. If well soaked the peels just come off easily.
4. Give the nuts a good rinse.
5. Add them to the blender.
6. Add the sweetener. I added 2 dates. Do add as needed.
7. Pour chilled water or milk. You can also use coconut milk.
8. I added vanilla extract. Cinnamon powder goes well during winters and cardamom powder during summers.
9. Blend until the nuts are smoothly blended and you have frothy milk.
10. Add bananas. Break them to 2 to 3 parts.
11. Blend until smooth and frothy.
Serve banana milkshake immediately.
- Ripe bananas are best suited for milkshake. So avoid unripe or green bananas. The larger variety are more suitable & yield really thick & luscious banana shake.
- Use the the sweeter variety bananas as they naturally sweeten the shake. so you can avoid using a lot of unhealthy sugar.
- If using dairy milk, then always boil or heat the milk. Next cool it & chill if you prefer chilled banana milkshake. This ensures the milk is still fit to consume. Using milk without heating may curdle the drink.
- A handful of soaked nuts will enhance the taste, nutrition and texture of the banana shake.
- You can also add your favorite fruits to this like strawberry, chikoo, avacado.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 2 large Bananas (Ripe)
- 2 to 4 dates or (sugar or maple syrup as needed)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1½ cups chilled milk or water or coconut milk
- 24 cashews or almonds (or 6 scoops ice cream)
How to make banana shake
- If using milk (dairy) boil, cool and chill it. Using milk directly without boiling may split the shake. If you want a chilled shake, simply freeze the sliced bananas for 1 hour in the freezer.
- Optional – Rinse and soak cashews for 30 mins or almonds for 4 to 6 hours. Peel the skin and discard. Give the nuts a good rinse. You can also add them directly to the blender without soaking and blanching.
- Add them to a blender jar. Also add dates or sugar.
- Next add cinnamon or cardamom powder & vanilla extract if you prefer.
- Pour the water or milk. Then blend well. To reduce the chunks, blend them as smooth as possible.
- Add banana and blend until smooth and frothy.
- Pour banana shake to serving glasses. Consume the milkshake immediately. You can top the banana shake with your favorite toppings. I usually add a pinch of cinnamon.
Banana shake with ice cream
- Add 2 large bananas, 6 scoops of ice cream and ½ cup of milk. Blend until smooth and frothy. If you want a thinner banana shake simply add more milk & blend.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes