Eggless chocolate banana cake recipe – Learn to make the best vegan banana chocolate cake with step by step pictures. Moist, soft and delicious is what all of us look for in a cake. This is one of that kind. It has been one of the the most loved cakes at home and I make sure to bake this at least once in few months.
This can be baked using oil or butter, whole wheat flour (atta) or plain flour (maida) or whole wheat pastry flour or a mix of these.
I have made this cake several times with light olive oil & coconut oil. If you do not like the flavor of oil in cakes, please use melted butter.
I have also used atta a few times & it went well for us. If you do not like the nutty aroma of whole wheat flour then use plain flour. You can also check this Chocolate banana cake with eggs
To make the cake vegan, oil has been used but it can be substituted with unsalted butter as well. I have used unrefined cane sugar and it can be substituted with refined sugar, coconut sugar, jaggery or palm sugar.
This recipe can be halved and baked in a loaf pan.
Eggless chocolate banana cake
Eggless chocolate banana cake recipe | chocolate banana cake no eggs
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups flour (wheat flour or plain flour or a mix of both)
- 1½ cup sugar or cane sugar (coconut sugar or palm sugar or jaggery)
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder (natural & not dutch processed)
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tbsp vinegar (I use apple cider)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup hot water (add 1 tbsp more if using wheat flour)
- ¼ cup Oil or melted unsalted butter (I use coconut oil)
- 1 cup banana puree (about 3 medium) (2 tbsp. more for wheat flour)
How to make the recipe
- Preheat the oven to 160 C. Grease a baking pan, sprinkle flour evenly. Dust off excess. Or line a Parchment paper. Set aside.
- Puree the banana in a blender.
- Mix flour, cocoa and soda. Sieve them together thrice. Set aside.
- To a mixing bowl add sugar. Pour hot water, oil, vinegar & vanilla extract. Stir to melt sugar fully. If using jaggery filter it. Add banana puree.
- Add the flour to the liquid in 2 parts. Mix well to remove lumps, do not over do.
- You can see the batter slightly rising up with bubbles.
- Pour to the baking tray and bake for 40 to 50 mins, keep checking after 35 mins, skewer inserted must come out clean.
- Let cool off fully before you move ahead to frosting. For frosting please refer the step by step photos above.
- This eggless chocolate banana cake tastes best the next day. Refrigerate and consume the next day.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1. Preheat the oven at 160 C. Grease the baking tray and lightly sprinkle flour evenly. You can also line a parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Sieve together flour, cocoa & baking soda. You can use whole wheat flour / atta or half atta and half maida or even whole wheat pastry flour works good.
3. Sieve this mixture thrice. This helps to make the cake lighter. Set aside.
4. Add sugar / jaggery or palm sugar to a mixing bowl. Add water. If using jaggery, i suggest mixing well and filtering to remove debris. I have earlier tried this with palm sugar and jaggery, it works very well.
5. Add 1 & 1/2 tbsps vinegar.
6. Add 1 tsp to 1 tbsp vanilla.
7. Add ¼ cup oil or softened unsalted butter. You can use any neutral oil like sunflower or canola or any baking oils.
8. Add 1 cup banana puree. I blended 3 medium sized bananas and got 1 cup puree.
9. Mix everything well.
10. Add the flour to the liquid in 2 equal parts.
How to make eggless chocolate banana cake recipe
11. Mix well but do not over mix. Make sure there are no lumps. You will see it begins to react immediately.
12. Add it to the greased pan. Tap it a few times on the kitchen counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 160 C for 45 to 50 mins. I suggest checking after 40 mins since oven temperatures can vary slightly. When done completely, a skewer inserted must come out clean.
13. Wait to cool down for 5 to 7 mins.
14. Flip it on a wired rack. Cool it completely. This banana cake tastes the best the next day.
15. If you like to frost, cool it completely and frost. This cake does not need frosting unless you like your cake to be very chocolaty. I made a chocolate icing using 2.5 tbsp cocoa, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla 2 tsps unsalted butter and 2 to 3 tbsps sugar.
Mix together milk, cocoa and sugar. Make sure there are no lumps before you begin to cook.
16. Cook stirring continuously on a medium heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon well. Add butter and vanilla. Stir well and cook for 2 mins.
17. Cool completely and pour it on the cake. You will have to cut parchment paper to 4 wide strips and place under the edges of the cake on all the 4 sides to collect any drippings. The mixture will be thick like frosting, you will have to spread it evenly using a frosting spatula.
Begin spreading from the center and then move the excess to the sides and spread it evenly. The quantity mentioned above is just sufficient to make a thin icing. So make a good effort to spread it thin.
I scrapped off some white chocolate and sprinkled on top.