Eggless chocolate banana cake | Chocolate banana cake no eggs
Eggless chocolate banana cake recipe – Learn to make the best vegan banana chocolate cake with step by step pictures. Moist, soft and delicious is what all of us look for in a cake. This is one of that kind. It has been one of the the most loved cakes at home and I make sure to bake this at least once in few months.
This can be baked using oil or butter, whole wheat flour (atta) or plain flour (maida) or whole wheat pastry flour or a mix of these.
I have made this cake several times with light olive oil & coconut oil. If you do not like the flavor of oil in cakes, please use melted butter.
I have also used atta a few times & it went well for us. If you do not like the nutty aroma of whole wheat flour then use plain flour. You can also check this Chocolate banana cake with eggs
To make the cake vegan, oil has been used but it can be substituted with unsalted butter as well. I have used unrefined cane sugar and it can be substituted with refined sugar, coconut sugar, jaggery or palm sugar.
This recipe can be halved and baked in a loaf pan.
You can also check these Eggless cake recipes
Eggless Vanilla cake
Eggless Chocolate cake
Eggless sponge cake
Eggless banana bread
Eggless banana muffins
Eggless fruit cake
1. Preheat the oven at 160 C. Grease the baking tray and lightly sprinkle flour evenly. You can also line a parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Sieve together flour, cocoa & baking soda. You can use whole wheat flour / atta or half atta and half maida or even whole wheat pastry flour works good.
3. Sieve this mixture thrice. This helps to make the cake lighter. Set aside.
4. Add sugar / jaggery or palm sugar to a mixing bowl. Add water. If using jaggery, i suggest mixing well and filtering to remove debris. I have earlier tried this with palm sugar and jaggery, it works very well.
5. Add 1 & 1/2 tbsps vinegar.
6. Add 1 tsp to 1 tbsp vanilla.
7. Add ¼ cup oil or softened unsalted butter. You can use any neutral oil like sunflower or canola or any baking oils.
8. Add 1 cup banana puree. I blended 3 medium sized bananas and got 1 cup puree.
9. Mix everything well.
10. Add the flour to the liquid in 2 equal parts.
How to make eggless chocolate banana cake recipe
11. Mix well but do not over mix. Make sure there are no lumps. You will see it begins to react immediately.
12. Add it to the greased pan. Tap it a few times on the kitchen counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 160 C for 45 to 50 mins. I suggest checking after 40 mins since oven temperatures can vary slightly. When done completely, a skewer inserted must come out clean.
13. Wait to cool down for 5 to 7 mins.
14. Flip it on a wired rack. Cool it completely. This banana cake tastes the best the next day.
15. If you like to frost, cool it completely and frost. This cake does not need frosting unless you like your cake to be very chocolaty. I made a chocolate icing using 2.5 tbsp cocoa, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla 2 tsps unsalted butter and 2 to 3 tbsps sugar.
Mix together milk, cocoa and sugar. Make sure there are no lumps before you begin to cook.
16. Cook stirring continuously on a medium heat until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon well. Add butter and vanilla. Stir well and cook for 2 mins.
17. Cool completely and pour it on the cake. You will have to cut parchment paper to 4 wide strips and place under the edges of the cake on all the 4 sides to collect any drippings. The mixture will be thick like frosting, you will have to spread it evenly using a frosting spatula.
Begin spreading from the center and then move the excess to the sides and spread it evenly. The quantity mentioned above is just sufficient to make a thin icing. So make a good effort to spread it thin.
I scrapped off some white chocolate and sprinkled on top.
Eggless chocolate banana cake recipe | chocolate banana cake no eggs
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups flour (wheat flour or plain flour or a mix of both)
- 1½ cup sugar or cane sugar (coconut sugar or palm sugar or jaggery)
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder (natural & not dutch processed)
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tbsp vinegar (I use apple cider)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup hot water (add 1 tbsp more if using wheat flour)
- ¼ cup Oil or melted unsalted butter (I use coconut oil)
- 1 cup banana puree (about 3 medium) (2 tbsp. more for wheat flour)
- Preheat the oven to 160 C. Grease a baking pan, sprinkle flour evenly. Dust off excess. Or line a Parchment paper. Set aside.
- Puree the banana in a blender.
- Mix flour, cocoa and soda. Sieve them together thrice. Set aside.
- To a mixing bowl add sugar. Pour hot water, oil, vinegar & vanilla extract. Stir to melt sugar fully. If using jaggery filter it. Add banana puree.
- Add the flour to the liquid in 2 parts. Mix well to remove lumps, do not over do.
- You can see the batter slightly rising up with bubbles.
- Pour to the baking tray and bake for 40 to 50 mins, keep checking after 35 mins, skewer inserted must come out clean.
- Let cool off fully before you move ahead to frosting. For frosting please refer the step by step photos above.
- This eggless chocolate banana cake tastes best the next day. Refrigerate and consume the next day.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Hello Swasthi, can I bake this in an 8 inch pan?
Namaste🙏 I want to bake an organic cake without using Unhealthy Baking Soda/Powder, Curd (Since Heating Curd Makes it Unhealthy..though it’s popularised nowadays).
I am Expecting a Fluffy , Airy and Soft Organic Ragi Jaggery Cake…
Can you Please Suggest any Healthy Alternatives.. except Yeast..or Using Yeast is Also Fine… But in That We Can’t Use Oil Since it Makes the Cake Denser… Can you Please Suggest any Solution…? 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
Can we use baking powder instead of soda
I haven’t tried it. This recipe will need about 1.5 tbsps baking powder, which seems to be a lot. It may leave a aftertaste or a bitter taste.
Perfect recipe!! My cake turned out absolutely yummy thanks to this recipe.. I added two tablespoons more of cocoa powder, 1 tsp coffee to the hot water and some chopped walnuts .. and the flavours worked very well to give an extra chocolate taste..
Glad to know Vandana
Thank you for the wonderful recipe Swasthi. Followed the steps to the T and it came out perfect! Everyone absolutely loved it! I only had to keep it on the oven for an extra 8-10mins(over 50mins) to ensure it was cooked through fully..(guess it is dependent on the oven)
Glad you all loved it. Yes depends on the oven.
Just tried day before with a slight variation. .used a little less extra light gala olive oil +a tea spoon full of ghee which gave a rich flavour. .topped with hershys choc syrup. .With sprinkle of unsweetened cocoa powder. .crushed dry roasted cashews and dark choc shavings. .turned out v tasty like a brownie cake..children simply loved it. .
Thank you v much. .
Glad to know Nim
Adding ghee for flavor is a great idea! Thanks for sharing that
Superb easy recipe.. tried today & my dad loved it! Thank you for the delicious recipe tho.. I wish I could share the pic here ?. I topped the cake with crushed almonds.
Love from Malaysia!!
Glad it turned out good,
We don’t have the option to upload readers’ images on the blog. You can mail me.
Omg Swasti thank u for this amazing vegan recipe..I can’t describe in words how tasty the cake turned out..
Glad you liked it. Thank you so much!
I have tried your Eggless chocolate banana cake and Eggless chocolate cake in microwave oven with bake time as 10 to 15 minutes. Both came out well but banana cake had good texture compared to other. Does adding hot water makes any difference?
Please follow the recipe as is without hot water. Give another try. You didn’t mention how it turned out exactly. So can’t comment on it.
I would love to try it.
I have distilled white vinegar. Can I use that?
If yes then should I use same amount as apple cider vinegar?
Yes you can use the same amount.
Hey….. My cake turned out dense and not fluffy unlike your chocolate cake recipe although the taste is good…… Is it because I used entirely all-purpose flour rather than whole wheat flour? It also has a slightly sour flavour. Why is it so?Is it because I used freshly squeezed lime juice instead of vinegar?
This is a soft, moist and dense cake. Sour taste could be due to lime juice.
Can we try this receipe in cooker… What will b the cooking tym
Yes you can bake any cake in a cooker. I cannot guide you with the baking time as I have not tried it in cooker. But if you have experience with it then go ahead. Halve the recipe and bake it in a small 5 to 6 inch pan. If are a beginner, you can check my cooker cake recipe here for the tips
Can I skip the butter in frosting or replace it with palmolein oil?
You can skip the butter
Hi, can I know why my cake was not not fluffy and sticking in the middle part. I baked it in air fryer
This recipe hasn’t been tested in a air fryer. So no idea why?
I tried it and my husbandloved it! Thanks a lot!! The chocolate icing was a bit bitter in taste. Can you tell how to make it sweeter. I added 2 tbsp sugar but still it was bitter, was is due to overcooking?
Glad to know! Reduce the cocoa and increase the sugar. I don’t think overcooking will make it bitter.
Thankyou so much. The cake was so delicious that me and my husband finised it within 2 days! Will try adding more sugar next time.
I have tried many of ur recipes and they turned out really well.
Can this cake be made in cooker or air fryer? If yes, please suggest settings.
Thank you for ur amazing recipes.
Glad to know Puja
Yes you can make in cooker.
My God!!!! What amazing recipe. U wont believe I was trying to get a perfect eggless cake for last two yrs n yesterday thankfully i bumped into ur blog. N thank God for that. The recipe is a must have n the ganache, that’s just amazing, so quick, so creamy, inspite of no cream being used. I am gonna try all of your recipes. Thank you so much.
Thank you Shilpi
So glad to know you liked it. Yes do try the other recipes.
Hi thanks for sharing your recipes! Can we add nuts to the batter?
I haven’t tried. This cake is slightly dense so not sure if nuts go well
Banana cake. Can I make in microwave.
Since I do not have oven, I have lg microwave, if you have receipe pancake, I appreciate if can share
You can try in microwave. I made this in a microwave oven with the convection settings. Halve the recipe and try. You can check these links for pancakes
Hi can i use milk in the eggless banana chocolate cake?
I haven’t tried with milk. It may turn dense
Amazing recipe.. Came out really tasty! just wanted to know can we use honey instead of sugar? If yes then what quantity?
Thank you! I haven’t tried it with honey. It is not suggested to heat honey as it turns toxic.
Hi, I used this recipe for the first time. After a couple of hours, the cake turned sour. I don’t know what went wrong.
Just wondering what would have gone wrong. Sour cake means it has gone bad. I have mailed you earlier on this.