Cooker cake recipe – This post shows detail steps on how to make cake in a pressure cooker, pot or pan without using a oven. Baking without a oven is not a new technique. Infact it was invented and used since many decades in various countries. In India, most house holds use a cooker for their daily cooking. So many prefer to use it rather than investing in a Oven.
If you are new to baking then you might be wondering why bake in a pressure cooker? Well, it’s for a simple reason that aluminum cookers have a heavy base or bottom which helps in even distribution of heat.
So they are very good for baking and can yield extremely good cakes, muffins and cookies. If you do not have a pressure cooker then simply use a heavy bottom pan, kadai or pot.
You can use the same technique shown below to bake a cake in a kadai or any pot.
I had lot of readers requests for a cooker cake recipe. I tried a few recipes with and without egg which I will be sharing here. In this post I am sharing a eggless cake recipe that can be baked in a cooker. However this recipe can also be used to bake cake in Oven.
It can be even tried by beginners and is made with very few ingredients. This recipe will yield you a soft, moist and delicious eggless vanilla cake. There is no condensed milk used here.
Preparation for cooker cake recipe
1. I have used a 7 inch cake pan. If you use a smaller pan, the batter may overflow while baking. Grease the pan and dust some flour. If possible use butter pan or parchment paper.
2. Spread salt in the pressure cooker.
3. Place a plate over the salt. Any plate will do. It is just to cover the salt. Place a ring or any hot pot stand. The bottom of the cake may get burnt or over baked if you place the pan directly on the plate.
4. Remove the gasket or ring and weight.
5. Cover the cooker. Heat it on a medium flame.
6. Add sugar and milk to a mixing bowl. Do not use cold milk. Use at least room temperature to warm milk.
7. Pour melted butter or oil. If using oil, use coconut oil.
8. Add vanilla extract and lemon juice or vinegar.
9. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
10. Place a sieve over the bowl. Add flour, salt baking powder & baking soda. Mix them up lightly.
11. Sieve it.
12. Gently mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
13. Transfer the batter to the cake tray. Tap the cake tray to the counter few times. Brush with milk on top. This is optional.
How to make cake in cooker
14. The cooker should be hot enough inside. Place the cake tray inside.
15. Cover the cooker. Please note that you will need to remove the gasket and weight. Regulate the flame to low or sim. Bake for 50 to 60 mins.
16. When the cake is done you will begin to smell the baked cake. A tester inserted comes out clean. The cake top will be dry and not sticky. If it is moist, bake it for a few more mins.
17. Cool the cake on a wire rack for 10 to 15 mins. If you have not used parchment paper on the sides, use a spatula or knife to loosen the cake. Invert it on the rack. Remove the parchment paper. Cool this completely.
18. I made a simple white chocolate icing. You can use any chocolate or choco chips. I heated up 2 cups of water in a kadai. Placed a pan over the hot water. Place the chopped chocolate in the pan. Make sure water doesn’t enter the pan.
19. Begin to stir continuously until the chocolate melts and turns smooth.
20. Cool the cake and chocolate completely. Pour the chocolate over the cake. Spread it with a spatula.
Sprinkle some grated chocolate. As I did not have chocolate, I used sprinkles.
Slice the cake and serve. You can keep this cake in the fridge for up to 4 days. Warm up in a steamer for few mins.
1. Any aluminum pressure cooker or pressure pan works good to use as a oven for the cake baking.
2. A heavy bottom or a heavy gauge aluminum cooker may not get spoilt if used properly for baking. Avoid using light weight cookers. Also avoid anodized and steel cookers.
3. Avoid baking without spreading salt at the bottom. Salt absorbs some heat from the extreme hot base and prevents overheating the cooker base. Overheating aluminium cookware can weaken the material and damage the shape.
4. Avoid washing, rinsing or adding cold foods to the hot cooker after using it for baking. Sudden temperature variation may make the material to weaken and damage. Allow the cooker to cool down naturally before using it again.
5. Do not use gasket & weight while baking.
If you follow all the above instructions your cooker will last longer even if you use it for baking often.
Cake recipes that you can bake following the same cooker method:
Eggless chocolate cake
Eggless Black forest cake
Chocolate sponge cake
Eggless sponge cake
Eggless carrot cake
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (maida or wheat flour) (190 grams)(organic)
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup sugar (+ 2 tbsp optional) (organic)
- ½ cup oil (or melted butter)
- 1 cup milk (do not use cold milk)
- 1 ¼ tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 tsps vanilla extract (or few drops essence)
- 100 grams chocolate (any chocolate or chocolate chips)
- Grease 7 inch cake tray. Dust with flour evenly or line a parchment paper. Set this aside.
- Add salt to a pressure cooker and spread it evenly.
- Cover the salt with a plate.
- Place a ring or hot pot stand over the plate.
- Remove the gasket and weight.
- Cover the cooker and begin to heat it on a medium heat.
Making cake batter
- Pour milk, sugar, vinegar, melted butter (or oil) and vanilla to a mixing bowl.
- Stir well until sugar dissolves.
- Place a sieve the bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the sieve.
- Lightly mix them up. Sieve it.
- Gently mix until the flour is just combined well. Do not over mix the batter.
- Pour this to the pan. Knock it a few times to the counter.
- Brush milk on top to get a golden top. This is optional.
How to make cake in cooker
- Place the cake tray inside the cooker on top of the ring or stand. The cooker has to be hot inside.
- Cover the cooker with the lid. Pls note the gasket & weight have to be removed.
- Bake for 50 to 60 mins on a low flame.
- When the cake is completely baked, a tester inserted comes out clean.
- The cake top will be fairly dry when you touch it. If it is still moist then bake for few more mins.
- Cool it for 10 to 15 mins over a wire rack.
- Then invert it on to the wire rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.
To bake in oven
- Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins
- Bake it for 30 to 35 mins. Tester inserted comes out clean. Adjust the time to suit the size of your pan and oven.
- Pour water to a pot and heat it. The water level has to be less than half.
- Place another bowl or pan over the pot. The bottom of the bowl or pan must touch the hot water.
- Also make sure water doesn’t seep into the top bowl or pan.
- Add 100 grams of chocolate or chips. Keep stirring until the chocolate melts and turns smooth.
- Make sure the cake and the chocolate both are cool and not hot.
- Pour the chocolate over the cooled cake and spread it evenly. Top with some sprinkles if you have.
- Slice the cake and enjoy.
- Pressure cooker or pressure pan
- 1 plate (steel or aluminium to cover salt)
- 1 steel or aluminium hot pot stand or ring
- 1 cup salt or clean sand
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes