Eggless strawberry cake recipe – Soft, spongy, moist and delicious strawberry cake made without eggs. A strawberry cake is usually made by adding the fruit puree & pink color to the batter. I had baked it that way a few times. Somehow the cake wasn’t appealing without the food color. This time I made a simple cake batter and then topped with sliced strawberries.
It came out very delicious,moist & soft. The sweet flavor was amazing due to the sugar sprinkled strawberries.
I adapted this topping idea from Martha Stewart’s Strawberry cake. But the recipe had eggs in it, so for the batter I followed this Eggless Tutti frutti cake recipe.
To make this eggless strawberry cake, you don’t need a mixer. Just mix up the wet ingredients and then the dry to it. This cake can be made vegan by replacing the full fat milk with vegan milk and melted butter with oil.
1. Here are the ingredients needed. Bring milk to room temperature or warm. Melt the butter. You can also use oil. You can do all in one bowl in the microwave.
2. Wash and wipe dry strawberries. Slice them and set aside.
3. Grease a 7 or 8 inch cake tray. Line it with butter paper or dust some flour evenly.
How to make eggless strawberry cake
4. Pour milk and add sugar to the mixing bowl. Add vinegar or lemon juice.
5. Pour melted butter or oil.
6. Add in vanilla extract or strawberry extract. Mix well until the sugar dissolves.
7. Place a sieve over the bowl. Add flour. Here is the correct way to measure the flour in case you do not have a weighing scale. Fluff up the flour in the jar. Spoon it to the measuring cup. Level it with a spatula.
8. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt.
9. Give a light mix.
10. Sieve half of the flour. Mix just until combined.
11. Sieve the rest of the flour.
12. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter is slightly thick but of pouring consistency.
13. Pour this to the greased tray. Tap it to the counter a few times.
14. Place the strawberries gently covering the top. Avoid placing them towards the extreme end. Sprinkle sugar.
15. Bake this for 10 mins at 180 C. Later at 170 C for 20 to 25 mins. I baked it for a total of 40 mins as I wanted the cake top to be crusty. To have a moist cake top, check the cake after 30 mins. Tester comes out clean when the cake is baked.
16. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove it to a wire rack.
17. Cool it completely before slicing.
18. Dust some powdered sugar just before serving.
Serve eggless strawberry cake.
Eggless strawberry cake recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 200 grams strawberries
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour ( maida – 190 grams) (prefer organic)
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup sugar (prefer organic)
- 1 cup milk (full fat) at room temperature
- ½ cup butter melted , or oil
- 1 ¼ tbsp. lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp strawberry extract
- 1 to 1½ tbsps. sugar
- Remove the strawberries from the fridge atleast 2 hours before baking. This helps to keep them away from excess moisture.
- Wash strawberries well. Drain them in a colander.
- Wipe off any moisture with a clean kitchen cloth or tissues.
- Remove the stems. Cut each strawberry vertically into 2. Keep these aside
Preparing cake pan
- Grease a 7 or 8 inch cake tray. You can also use a 8.5 by 4.5 inch loaf pan.
- Dust flour lightly or line a parchment paper. Set this aside
- Preheat the oven to 180 C for atleast 15 mins.
Preparing eggless starwberry cake batter
- Pour room temperature milk to a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, vinegar or lemon juice.
- Pour melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Mix all of these until sugar dissolves.
- Place a sieve over the mixing bowl.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the sieve.
- Mix everything lightly with a spoon.
- Sieve half of the floor to the mixing bowl.
- Mix gently just until combined.
- Sieve the rest of the flour.
- Mix with a spatula just until combined.
- Pour the batter to the cake pan.
- Tap the cake tray to kitchen counter twice.
- Begin to place the sliced strawberries on top. Keep them as close as possible.
- Avoid placing them too much towards the edges.
- Sprinkle sugar over the strawberries.
- Bake at 180 C for 15 mins.
- Then at 170 C for 20 mins if baking in a 7 inch tray.
- You can adjust the timings to get a moist or crusty cake top. For moist top check after 30 mins. For crusty cake top, bake for 40 mins. In either cases, a tester/ skewer inserted comes out clean but moist from strawberries.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 mins.
- Remove it to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Dust some powdered sugar just before serving.
- Slice the eggless strawberry cake after cooling completely.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes