Gobi masala recipe – Simple north Indian cauliflower recipe. This is a wonderful and healthy accompaniment to roti, plain paratha, jeera rice or even plain basmathi rice. To make the cauliflower gravy, no yogurt or cream is used and is kept simple.
The gravy tastes very delicious just with the addition of few cashews or almonds. You can also add in half cup of green peas to make gobi matar recipe.
Gobi masala or cauliflower masala recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams gobi or cauliflower
- 1 cup onions cubed
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 8 cashews or almonds
- 1 green chill slit (optional)
- ¾ cup tomato deseeded chopped or half cup puree
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt as needed
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala (Adjust as needed)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp kasuri methi or fenugreek leaves
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cardamom (optional)
- 2 cloves (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for gobi masala
- This step is optional. Boil onions in 2 cups of water for 2 to 3 mins. Remove and cool them completely.
- Separate cauliflower florets and soak them in enough warm salted water for 5 to 10 mins. This way any worms inside the florets, will let them come out. Do not boil cauliflower.
- Discard the water and rinse thoroughly under running water, set aside to drain.
- Puree onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and cashews to a smooth mixture without adding water. Keep this aside.
How to make gobi masala
- Heat a pan with oil, fry the dry spices for a minute.
- Add the onion tomato puree and saute until the raw smell goes off. The mixture will begin to leave the sides of the pan.
- Next add chili powder, salt, garam masala and coriander powder. Saute until it begins to smell good. The raw smell of spice powders should go away.
- Add cauliflower and saute for 3 to 5 mins.
- Pour ¾ cup water and mix. Cover and cook on a medium flame.
- When the gobi is cooked al dente, add kasuri methi.
- Off the stove. Add coriander leaves. Keep covered until served.
- Serve gobi masala with plain rice, jeera rice, roti, paratha.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
Preparation for gobi masala or cauliflower gravy
1. This step is optional. If you do not prefer to use raw onions in the gravy as sometimes they make the gravy bitter then you can follow this. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add 1 cup cubed onions. Allow to boil for 3 minutes. Drain them and cool.
Heat 3 cups of water to slightly hot temperature. Switch off the stove. Add 1 tsp crystal salt and cleaned cut florets of gobi. For this recipe i used 250 grams of cauliflower. Leave it for a while. Then drain them and rinse well. Drain in a colander.
2. While the gobi is resting in water, add onions, ¾ cup cubed deseeded ripe tomatoes, 6 to 8 almonds (optional), 1 inch ginger piece and 2 to 3 cloves of garlic.
3. Blend them without adding water until smooth.
How to make gobi masala
4. Heat a pan with oil. Add 1 cardamom, small cinnamon and piece of bay leaf and 2 cloves. You can also skip all these spices and just use bay leaf and cinnamon or just use cumin.
5. Pour the pureed onion tomato mix.
6. Cover partially and cook until the mixture cooks thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. Add ½ to ¾ tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp garam masala, 1 tsp daniya/ coriander powder and salt..
7. Saute until the mixture turns thick and begins to leave oil. The raw smell of all the ingredients should go away by now.
8. Add cauliflower and saute for 3 mins.
9. Pour ¾ cup water and stir well. Cook covered on a medium heat until the gobi is done. I just cook to al dente.
10. Sprinkle kasuri methi. Cook for a min. Off the stove and keep covered. You can sprinkle coriander leaves. Adjust salt if needed. You can also cook until the gravy reaches a thick consistency.
Serve cauliflower curry with roti, chapati or paratha