Gobi 65 recipe – Gobi 65 is a delicious crisp fried appetizer made with cauliflower, spices, yogurt and herbs. 65 recipes are quite popular starters in South Indian restaurants. They originated from Chicken 65. There are many varieties made like Paneer 65, aloo 65. They are served as a evening snack or starter along with other South Indian foods.
We love the crisp fried appetizers made with gobi. My boys often ask for this Gobi manchurian. But I end up making this gobi 65 as it needs no bottled sauces and can be made in a jiffy.
I am sharing 2 recipes of gobi 65 – one is the restaurant style and the second one is a baked recipe.
To make gobi 65 recipe, cauliflower florets are batter fried until crisp. Then they are seasoned with a spicy masala. Crisp fried curry leaves, green chilies, spice powder and yogurt bring in a magical aroma to the gobi 65.
Serve this as a starter or as a side in a Indian meal. It is best served hot since the fried cauliflower bites begins to loose their crispness as they cool down.
1. Clean cauliflower florets and add them to hot water. Allow to sit for a while and drain them off and rinse them well in a colander. Set aside. Add flour, salt, ginger garlic paste, garam masala and pepper powder to a bowl.
2. Mix 1 tsp red chili powder with few drops oil and little water. Make a fine paste and add it to the flour. This helps gobi 65 to get a good color. Also add chopped curry leaves.
3. Add little water.
4. Mix everything well to make a thick batter.
5. Add cauliflower to the bowl.
6. Toss and coat the florets well with batter.
How to make gobi 65
7. Heat oil and deep fry until golden. You can also fry some curry leaves and slit deseeded green chilies for garnishing.
8. Drain gobi 65 on a kitchen tissue.
9. If you do not like to use yogurt for this recipe you can serve after this step after garnishing with curry leaves and green chiles.
10. To make a restaurant style cauliflower 65, heat oil in a pan. Add cumin to hot oil, when it begins to splutter add curry leaves, slit green chilies and garlic.
11. When the garlic begins to smell good, add yogurt, red chili powder and garam masala.
12. Stir and saute until the mixture thickens.
13. Add fried cauliflower and saute well for 2 minutes.
Restaurant style gobi 65 is ready.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
seasoning for gobi 65 (optional)
- 2 green chilies slit & deseeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 2 to 3 tbsp plain yogurt (Indian curd)
- salt as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for gobi 65 fry recipe
- Heat 3 cups water in a pot. Turn off the stove.
- Drop the cauliflower florets and rest for 2 to 3 mins. Rinse them well and drain completely.
- Transfer flour, garam masala, salt, red chili powder and ginger garlic to a bowl. Chop 1 sprig curry leaves and add it to the bowl.
- Pour water and make a batter. The batter must not be too thin or too thick.
- Add the gobi to the batter. Coat them well.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, drop the florets to the pan.
- Deep fry the cauliflower on a medium heat till golden and crisp. Set aside to a kitchen towel.
- Fry 1 sprig curry leaves in the oil. Set this aside for garnishing.
How to make gobi 65 recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Fry garlic, chili, curry leaves and cumin. When the curry leaves turn crisp.
- Add yogurt , chili powder , garam masala.
- Stir and let the mixture cook till it thickens.
- Add fried cauliflower and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve crispy gobi 65 as a starter.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.
Gobi 65 recipe with step by step photos – baked cauliflower 65, an healthy kids after school snack recipe.
There are so many ways a 65 recipe can be prepared. Few recipes use soya sauce or yogurt. The recipe shared here is a simple gobi 65 without using yogurt or sauce. If you desire you can add it while seasoning.
Ingredients to make gobi 65
1 ½ cups of cauliflower florets
Green and red bell peppers (1/2 each, optional)1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp Olive oil
2 ½ tbsps. Corn flour
1 tsp oil for seasoning
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 tbsp shredded ginger
1 tbsp shredded garlic
2 tbsp. Yogurt optional
1 onion chopped to cubes
1 green chili
Pinch of turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
Salt to taste
Lemon juice as per your taste
Add cauliflower florets to salted warm water and set aside for 15 minutes. Drain off.
Wash and pat dry the cauliflower florets.
Marinate them with marination ingredients and set aside for at least 30 mins to 2 hours.
Heat oil for deep frying or Grease a baking tray and preheat the oven to 240 C.
Sprinkle the dry flour on the gobi, mix well.
Add in the olive oil, mix well.
Place these on a baking tray and bake for 20 to 30 mins, time depends on the size of your florets.
Heat oil in a tawa, add curry leaves and green leaves. Fry till they turn crisp, remove and set aside.
Add shredded ginger garlic and fry to get an aroma.
Add onions, capsicum and salt
Fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 mins or till the capsicum is done. If using yogurt add now, mix and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add in baked gobi , curry leaves, chili and mix well and fry for 2 mins on high flame.
Gobi 65 is ready to serve as starter.