Hakka noodles recipe – Simple steps to make veg hakka noodles at home. Hakka noodles is a popular Indo Chinese food served in restaurants and fast food centers across India. It is mostly served with other popular Indo Chinese foods like Chilli paneer, Chilli mushroom, Veg manchurian, Chilli chicken, Chicken Manchurian and gobi manchurian.
Frying the ingredients in a Chinese wok on the highest flame lends a unique and enticing flavor to the hakka noodles. Recreating this at home is not possible since most of us neither have the real Chinese wok nor the stoves with large burners which are most common in restaurants. If you have a bare cast iron pan, do use it. It lends a good smoky aroma.
This recipe will give you veg hakka noodles that smells & tastes good. The entire sauteing of the veggies & noodles has to be done on a high flame.
Restaurant style hakka noodles are flavoured with just soya sauce and vinegar. Most restaurants serve sauces in separate tiny bowls. Chili sauce or any other kind of sauces are mostly not used. You can easily tweak the taste to your choice by adding any of your favorite sauces like tomato sauce, garlic sauce, and green chili sauce.
Hakka noodles recipe
Hakka noodles recipe | How to make hakka noodles | Chinese noodles
Indo chinese hakka noodles recipe made with mixed vegetables like cabbage, carrots and bell pepper. It is served with a bowl of soup or any Chinese side dishes like Manchurian or chilli.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for hakka noodles
- 1 pack noodles individual pack of 1 serving
- 2 tbsp spring onions white and green separated
- 2 tbsp carrot julienne or chopped
- 3 tbsp beans chopped finely
- 4 tbsp cabbage finely shredded
- ¼ tbsp mushrooms sliced, optional
- ¼ cup capsicum chopped or julienne
- 1 green chilli slit & deseeded (optional)
- ½ to ¾ tbsp soya sauce organic, use as needed
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1/8 tsp pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1½ tbsp oil sesame or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 tsp chili sauce to 1 tbsp or your favorite sauce
How to make the recipe
Bring 3 to 4 cups of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook till al dente. Follow the instructions on the pack for cook time.
Drain them to a colander and rinse under running water to remove excess starch.
Add 1 tsp oil to the noodles and smear it well to prevent them from turning sticky.
While the noodles cook, chop all the veggies and garlic. Keep this aside.
How to make hakka noodles
Regulate the flame to high. Pour oil to a hot wok or pan.
When the oil turns hot, add garlic and fry till you get a nice smell just for 30 seconds.
Then add in the spring onions whites, carrots, mushrooms, chilies and beans. Fry until the mushrooms turn slightly tender. Keep stirring.
Add capsicums and cabbage if using. Saute till the capsicums are half done yet crunchy. This takes just a minute or more.
Pour the sauces and vinegar.
Add the drained noodles, spring onion greens and pepper powder.
Toss everything well and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve hakka noodles hot with gobi manchurian or chilli paneer.
Restaurant style hakka noodles is made just with vinegar and soya sauce. You can use your favorite sauce to flavor it up.
The key to making good hakka noodles is a Chinese wok and high flame.
To make egg hakka noodles
Just beat the eggs in a bowl. Slide the veggies in the pan after they are fried. Then pour in the beaten eggs and scramble them. Fry just until soft cooked. Then follow the rest of the recipe.
Preparation to make hakka noodles
1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Then add noodles and cook them aldente. Please follow the pack for the timings.
2. Drain them and rinse it under running water. This helps to remove excess starch and makes the noodles less sticky.
3. Drain off completely. Add very little oil and toss the noodles. This prevents them from turning sticky. Set aside.
4. While the noodles cook prepare the veggies, garlic and keep the sauces ready.
Making hakka noodles
5. Pour oil to the pan and heat it on a high flame. Add chopped garlic and fry till you get a nice aroma of garlic.
6. Add spring onion whites, green chilies, carrots, capsicum, cabbage and beans. I didn’t use cabbage as I didn’t have. But it adds a very good flavor. Fry them for just 2 mins until a nice aroma comes out. The veggies should remain crunchy.
7. Pour the soya sauce and vinegar. If you prefer you can add any other sauce.
8. Add noodles, green spring onions and pepper.
8. Toss well and fry for 2 minutes.
Serve hot with chilli paneer, chilli chicken, chicken manchurian.