Hakka noodles is a popular Indo-Chinese dish of stir fried noodles, veggies and sauces. It is hugely popular in Indian restaurants and street stalls. It is usually eaten on its own or with a side of Manchurian or chilli dishes like gobi manchurian or chilli paneer. Indo-Chinese hakka noodles originated from the Chinese population living in Kolkata. Over the years it has become a favorite among many Indians. Here is the recipe to make perfect Chinese hakka noodles.
Hakka noodles are made of unleavened refined wheat flour. If you are trying to avoid refined foods then you may use any other whole grain noodles.
To make the dish, boiled noodles are stir fried with loads of veggies like cabbage, carrots, French beans, bell peppers, spring onions and regular onions. Use your choice of veggies & feel free to skip the rest. The aroma of fried cabbage is great in this dish. However since I did not have I skipped it.
The quantity of oil makes a huge difference here. Please do not skimp on the quantity of oil. If you are on a low oil diet, cut down your serving size but do not reduce the oil.
Most Indo-Chinese restaurants use only soya sauce & rice vinegar to make hakka noodles. The heat comes from the green chilies or the chili oil. Optionally you can use any hot sauce if you like.
Chilli oil is an optional ingredient you can use if you have. Some restaurants use it to enhance the flavors. There are different kinds of chili oil available in the market made with red chilies, schezwan peppers, garlic etc. You can choose what you like. I have not used any here.
1. Rinse all the veggies well. Slice the onions thin. Chop bell peppers, carrots, french beans and cabbage to thin juliennes. Chop garlic and chilli as well.
2. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Then add noodles and cook them al dente. Please follow the pack for the timings.
3. Drain them to a colander and rinse under running water. This helps to remove excess starch and keeps the noodles less sticky.
4. Drain off completely. Add 1 tsp oil and toss the noodles. This prevents them from turning sticky. Set aside.
Making hakka noodles
5. Pour 2 tbsps oil to the pan and heat it on a high flame. Add chopped garlic and fry for just 30 seconds. Then add in green chilli (optional) and spring onion whites. Saute for 30 seconds more.
6. Add onions and fry for 1 minute.
7. Then add carrots, capsicum, cabbage and beans. I didn’t use cabbage as I didn’t have. But it adds a very good flavor. Fry them for just 2 mins until a nice aroma comes out. The veggies should remain crunchy so do not over cook.
8. Add the noodles, salt, pour the soya sauce, hot sauce(optional) and vinegar.
9. Toss well and fry for another 2 minutes. Add ground pepper and spring onion greens. Taste and adjust the sauces and salt at this stage.
Tips to make good hakka noodles
Cooking noodles: Ensure you cook the noodles al dente and avoid over cooking. For the right texture cook them in plenty of water and rinse them under cold running water. This help to stop them from cooking further and gets rid of the excess starch.
Drizzle oil: Smear some oil all over the noodles to prevent them from clumping up. This is very important.
Use a wok or cast iron pan: A large wok is best for making hakka noodles. If you have a cast iron or a carbon steel wok, do make use of it.
Stir fry on a High flame: Keep the heat/flame high from the start to the end while you stir fry. This imparts a unique smoky flavor to the dish and prevents the veggies from turning mushy.
Stir frying the veggies & hakka noodles will all take less than 4 to 5 mins since it is done on a high flame. So do attend the pan all the time and keep tossing or mixing with a spatula to prevent overcooking & burning.
You can easily tweak this recipe to make egg hakka noodles or chicken hakka noodles. To make the egg version, stir in the beaten egg first to the hot oil & scramble it. Cook until the eggs are soft cooked, remove them to a bowl. Proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Add back the egg along with the noodles. You can also check these Egg noodles for step by step photos.
To make the chicken hakka noodles, add chicken strips of 3/4 inch size to beaten egg. Coat the chicken with the egg and slide in the chicken to the hot oil. Stir fry on a high flame until fully cooked.
Add the remaining egg and cook until done. Remove this to a plate and proceed with the recipe. Add back the chicken along with the noodles. For step by step photos you can also check this chicken noodles.
With these variations you will need to add more sauce and salt.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for hakka noodles
- 1 pack hakka noodles (150 grams)
- 2 tablespoons oil (preferably sesame oil)
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped finely
- 2 to 3 spring onion stalks (greens & whites separated)
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 green chilli chopped (optional)
- 1 small carrot thin juliennes
- ½ to ¾ cup capsicum (bell pepper) julienne
- 6 french beans chopped finely
- ½ cup cabbage finely shredded (optional)
- 1¼ tablespoon soya sauce organic
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (substitute with apple cider)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Use your favorite sauce) (optional)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chilli oil (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Rinse the veggies and slice the onions. Chop chilli and garlic. Chop carrots, cabbage, french beans and bell peppers to thin juliennes. Keep this aside.
- Bring 6 to 8 cups of water to a rapid boil. Add noodles and cook till al dente. Follow the instructions on the pack for cook time.
- Drain them to a colander and rinse under running water to remove excess starch.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the noodles and smear it well to prevent them from turning sticky.
How to make hakka noodles
- Heat oil in a large wok or pan on a high flame.
- Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Then add spring onion whites, onions and chilli. Fry until the onions turn transparent for a minute.
- Next add in carrots, capsicum and cabbage. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes until the veggies are partially cooked yet remain crunchy.
- Add noodles & sprinkle salt. Then pour soya sauce, hot sauce, chili oil and vinegar.
- Toss everything well and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes. Add black pepper and spring onion greens. Taste test and add more salt or sauces if needed
- Serve hakka noodles hot with gobi manchurian or chilli paneer.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
The key to making good hakka noodles is a Chinese wok and high flame.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.