Egg Fried Noodles
A bowl of steaming hot Egg Fried Noodles is a pure comfort food and we all love it. This recipe helps you make restaurant quality egg fried noodles at home using pantry staples. This can easily satisfy your Chinese takeaway & restaurant meal cravings for the weeknight dinner. Al dente cooked noodles tossed with veggies, sauces and eggs is all what this dish is about.
Customize the dish further with the choice of your veggies and sauces to suit your liking.
About Egg Fried Noodles
Egg fried noodles are a delicious Chinese dish of stir fried noodles tossed with umami sauces, nutrient rich veggies and protein-packed eggs. These are quite popular in the Chinese fast food places, takeaways and fine dining restaurants.
Stir fried noodles can be made to a vegetarian, eggetarian or meat dish. Egg fried noodles is similar to the vegetable noodles except that eggs are added here.
For this recipe usually Chinese noodles like egg noodles or hakka noodles are used. They are easily available in the Asia stores or Indian grocery stores. However you may use any kind of noodles including udon, soba or even spaghetti.
A good bowl of noodles smell great, have a perfect al dente texture and taste super delicious, with a bunch of flavors that range from umami to hot and sour, all depending on the kind of sauces you use.
My recipe will teach you how to make a perfect bowl of egg fried noodles with all the about features.
Veggies like spring onions, carrots, cabbage, green beans and bell peppers go well in this. But you can always make your egg noodles using only spring onions or onions and leave out the other veggies.
You may like to check
Egg fried rice
How to Make Egg Fried Noodles (Stepwise Photos)
1. Bring 8 cups water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add 2 cakes of noodles (2 servings) and cook till al dente. The noodles should have a bite to them and not be overcooked.
2. Drain them to a colander and rinse thoroughly under running water to remove unwanted starch. This step also helps prevents the noodles from clumping up.
3. Set the colander aside. Add one tsp oil and toss the noodles to prevent sticking.
While the noodles cook, prepare the veggies from the recipe card below.
Make Egg Fried Noodles
4. Pour 2 tablespoons oil to a wok or pan. When the oil turns hot, regulate the flame to high. Add 1 to 2 slit green chilies (optional), onions (or white spring onions) and 1 to 1½ tablespoon chopped garlic. Fry the garlic and chillies for a minute, add bell pepper, green beans and carrots. If using green onions, use only the whites. Reserve the greens for later. Fry till the veggies turn slightly tender yet crunchy. Do not over cook.
I also love to add a star anise and a strand of mace.
5. While the veggies fry, rinse a bowl and break the eggs into it. Check for shells. If you want you may whisk them with a fork until frothy.
6. Slide the veggies aside in the wok/pan. I reduce the heat/flame as much as possible. Pour the eggs to the pan, but not on to the veggies.
7. Lightly scramble them. Cook till soft set.
8. Add 1 teaspoon vinegar (optional), 1 tablespoon soya sauce and ½ teaspoon crushed pepper. Vinegar will take away the raw smell of eggs, so I prefer to use. If you like to use chilli sauce, add it now.
9. Add the noodles and sprinkle more black pepper and salt to taste.
10. Toss well. Increase the flame to the highest and fry for about one to two minutes. If you have chopped spring onions you can use them for garnishing.
Serve Egg fried noodles hot.
Egg Fried Noodles Recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 2 cakes noodles (serving 2)
- 3 to 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1 to 1½ tablespoon garlic cloves chopped finely, about 2 to 3 large
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or white pepper crushed
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (skip if you don't have)
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon hot red chilli sauce (or any hot sauce, optional)
- 1 onion or 2 sprigs of spring onions chopped
- ½ cup bell peppers chopped
- 1 carrot julienne
- 4 to 6 French beans (green beans, optional)
- Bring 8 to 10 cups of water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add the noodles and let cook al dente, meaning fully cooked but the noodles should have a bite to them. Follow the cook time from your pack of noodles. Mine takes about 3 mins.
- Drain the noodles to a colander. I rinse mine under cold running water following the manufacturers instructions.
- While the noodles cook, rinse and chop the veggies. Separate the greens and the whites from the green onions while you chop.
- Break the eggs in a rinsed bowl & scramble them with a fork until frothy. Set aside.
How to Make Egg Fried Noodles
- Heat a wok with oil. When the oil is hot enough, add the chopped garlic and the spring onion whites. Let fry for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots, bell peppers and green beans. Fry them on a high heat until slightly tender yet crunchy.
- Slide the veggies aside in the wok and reduce the heat. Pour the eggs. Scramble them and cook till done but not overcooked.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. Pour the sauces and vinegar. Add the cooked noodles.
- Stir fry the noodles just for a minute or so on the highest heat. Sprinkle pepper.
- Serve egg fried noodles while still hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Can I add other veggies like beans cabbage like in veg noodles in this recipe? I’ve tried your veg noodles recipe and it was great, so checking on this one.
Yes you can add. Thanks for trying the recipes.
Tried egg noodle. Followed step by step. Turned out awesome. You have explained the recipe in a very simple and straight manner. My wife loved my preparation. Will try out your other recipes too.
Hello Dr. Rajesh
Glad to know! Thanks for leaving a comment
Hello Swasthi : Nice e-meeting you.
I prepared Egg noodles for my office lunch, very tasty and simple.
Loved my cooking.
Thank you! Glad to e-meet you as well!
You are most welcome.
Happy to know you could make tasty noodles. Thanks much for the comment!
How many grams of 2 cakes of dry noodles?Please advice.Thank you dear so much for your time and patience to answer everybody’s question.
I have stopped eating cake noodles since few years. This is a very old post so mentioned as cakes. Currently I eat whole grain noodles which are not in cake form. As per this, I think you can use about 120 to 140 grams of the noodles in the above recipe. Pls adjust the quantity of sauce. if needed just add more. Thanks for reading. Hope this helps.
Very nice recipe of egg noodles. Love it simple and tasty
Very tasty and easy recipe. My children loved it. Thank you for the recipe Swasthi.
Glad to know your kids loved it
Like n eat more
Sema super dish
wow yaar… amazing… when my mom goes visit my naitive i used to cook for me n my younger brother which tastes really really bad… after looking ur recipes geez got lot more better… my brother s happy too… tnx to you swasthi…..
You are welcome.
So glad to know the recipe helped you. Thanks for trying
Hi. Just tried this recipe. It was very easy to make and very tasty too. Loved it.
Thanks for trying Asha
i liked tihs resip so mauch bez its very testy
Thank you for this recipe
Realllllyyyy awesome in my busy schedule
Hi sisters, yesterday I tried this recipe It was very tasty and easy to prepare. My son enjoyed.. thank you so much for sharing ur recipe.. may God bless you and your family
Welcome and so glad to know your little one too enjoyed it. Thanks for the feedback and the wishes.
Have a lovely week ahead.
Swathi the noodles recipe is simply awesome. My kids really liked it.thank you so much
Happy to know kids loved it. Thanks for the feedback
Its so yummy this noodles
hi …this recipe was really so tasty …try at home..
Tasty noodles recipe. Loved it to the core thanks
Was worse when i tried twice as per the instructions on the noodels pack. Then, i thought that i couldn’t do this better.
For a last try, i searched on google & found this page & tried your way. Finally it worked.
Now im happy that i can do it again.
Thanks for your recipe & Thanks for your effort.
Welcome Krishna kiran. Iam glad the recipe worked