Egg noodles recipe – sharing one of the easiest recipe to make egg noodles. It’s so simple and will come together under 20 minutes. You can make it easily even on a busy day with minimum ingredients. For a healthier option use whole wheat noodles. I made with whatever I could buy on my way home after a busy day. You can use any variety of noodles whole wheat noodles, rice noodles, hokkien noodles or whatever you have.
Noodles is not a frequent affair at home. But is only a stand by when I don’t want to hang around eating in mcdonald or kfc. I prefer making egg fried rice or noodles at home as they are really quick to be done.
To make egg noodles I will not ask you to use any fancy ingredients or sauce that you may not have in your pantry. You can use any veggies you have in hand like onions or spring onions, carrots, peas or bell pepper. But yes we need eggs.
Egg noodles happened on a day, when I did not have any veggies in hand, not even an onion. I went ahead making these noodles only with bell peppers. But you can make it even without any veggies if you don’t have. But for a healthier meal, I suggest using enough vegetables.
These noodles turn out to be flavorful and light. The flavor comes from the 2 spices. Star anise and mace used in the traditional Chinese cuisine. Hence we don’t need any sauces.
For those who are very particular about using sauces, you can use any of your favorite sauce like chili sauce, tomato sauce, soya sauce or peri peri. They can be added along with vinegar.
how to make egg noodles
1. Bring 3 liters of water to a rolling boil. Add noodles and cook till al dente.
2. Drain off and rinse them thoroughly under running water to remove unwanted starch.
3. Set the colander aside. Add one tsp oil and toss the noodles to prevent sticking.
4. Add oil to a wok or pan. When the oil turns hot, put on the flame to high. Add green chilies and garlic. If you have star anise and mace, add it now. When they begin to sizzle, add onions or bell pepper or whatever veggies you are using. Fry till they turn slightly soft yet crunchy.
5. While the veggies fry, rinse a bowl and break the eggs into it. Check for shells.
6. Slide the veggies aside in the pan. I reduce the heat/flame as much as possible. Pour the eggs to the pan, but not on to the veggies.
7. Lightly scramble them. Cook till soft cooked.
8. Add vinegar and little pepper powder. Vinegar will take away the raw smell of eggs, so I prefer to use. If you like to use soya sauce, chilli sauce, add it now. Let them bubble.
9. Add the noodles and sprinkle more pepper and salt.
10. Toss well. Increase the flame to the highest and fry for about one to two minutes. If you have chopped spring onions you can use them for garnishing.
Mildly spicy and flavorful egg noodles ready under 25 minutes.
Egg noodles recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cakes noodles (serving 2)
- 2 to 3 eggs
- 1 garlic cloves large or 2 small , chopped finely
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit
- Pepper powder as needed
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Olive oil or sesame oil as needed
- ½ cup bell peppers chopped
- 1 onion or 2 sprigs of spring onions chopped
- 1 carrot julienne
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp sauce any hot
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1 strand mace (optional)
- Cook noodles in surplus water till al dente. Drain and rinse them with cold running water. Drain in a colander and smear 1 tsp oil to the noodles and toss.
- Break the eggs in a rinsed bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a wok with oil. Add green chili, star anise, mace and garlic. when they crackle, add the veggies and fry till partially cooked to keep them crunchy.
- Slide the veggies aside and reduce the heat. Pour the eggs. Scramble them lightly and cook till done.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and vinegar. If using other sauces, Add them too. cook till they begin to bubble.
- Add the noodles , more salt and pepper powder if needed.
- Increase the flame and toss fry on high for one to two minutes.Serve egg noodles while still hot.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes
Here are some unhealthy ingredients that might be listed on the pack of noodles : guar gum, palm oil,tartrazine or any food color, ajinomotto or Monosodium glutamate. Check before you buy.