Baby food recipes – A collection of homemade Indian baby food recipes for 6 10 18 months babies. If you are a new mum, you can check this Baby food chart for 6 months baby. If you have a baby older than 7 months then you can check this Indian baby food chart for 8 months & above. You can also take a look at the best foods to gain weight in babies & toddlers. This post contains a list of all Indian baby food recipes available on this blog.
I have also included a few sample baby food recipes in the recipe card. All the recipes are tried and tested and have been served for both my babies.
If your pediatrician has suggested you to start, then You can start with a single fruit, single veggie and then single grain. For more details please check this post on How to introduce solids to baby.
I highly recommend reading every line of the baby food posts on this blog as they can guide you extensively.
Baby food recipes – babies above 6 months
How to make baby rice cereal
Ragi porridge for babies
Apple Wheat porridge
Apple ragi (try ragi and apple separately first, then try together)
Khichdi for babies
Moong dal soup
Carrot almond baby food
Barley baby cereal
Sago carrot kheer for babies
Sabudana kheer for babies
Wheat cereal for babies
Soft idli recipe
Milk oats porridge
How to make ragi flour for babies
Oats porridge with vegetables (blend till smooth)
Sweet potato rice
Babies above 8 months
Urad dal khichdi
Raw banana rice
Ven pongal. please mash the rice well and remove the pepper corns. You can also puree it.
Curd rice. Puree if desired, skip tempering.
Moong dal halwa
Baby food recipes for babies above 11 months
These need to be pureed before serving
Oats vegetable khichdi
Sweet corn soup
Barley soup with vegetables
Chickpeas toddler food
Chickpeas soup (for babies above 15 months)
Badam milk. pls consult your doctor and use buffalo or goat milk, avoid cow’s milk.
Lassi (avoid salt and sugar)
Sample Indian baby food recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for 6 months baby food recipes 1 – Any one of the following (refer notes)
- ½ banana
- 1 sapota
- ½ papaya
- 2 tbsp cooked rice
Ingredients for 7 to 8 months baby food recipes 2 (refer notes)
- 2 tbsp rice or 2 tbsps ragi or wheat flour
- 200 ml water
- 1 small apple or banana
- 1/8 tsp ghee homemade (refer notes)
Ingredients for 8 months baby food recipes 3
- 1½ tbsp rice aged rice
- 1½ tbsp dal (toor or moong dal)
- 1½ tbsp carrots chopped
- 200 ml water
- 1/8 tsp ghee homemade
Ingredients for 8 months baby food recipes 4
- 2 tbsp rice
- 1 baby potato or 2 tbsp chopped
- 1 pinch carom seeds powder (ajwain powder)
- ¼ tsp ghee homemade
How to make the recipe
Making 6 months baby food recipes
- Make sure you follow the 3 day test rule for every food you introduce. Wait for the results until 4th day.
- To make the baby food, Mash any one of the fruits – banana, papaya, sapota very well until smooth.
- If desired add it to a blender and puree until smooth. To thin down add a few spoons of boiled and cooled water. Fruit puree is ready.
- If using cooked rice, then puree together rice and any of the fruit – (banana, papaya, sapota or steamed apple) along with some boiled and cooled water. Fruit flavored rice is ready.
- You can also feed only steamed apple. Peel and chop the apples. Bring half cup water to a boil and add the apples to it.
- Cook until the apples are slightly tender just for a minute or 2. Cool and puree with rice or just the steamed apple. Apple puree is ready.
Making 7 months baby food recipes
- Wash rice and soak in water for at least 30 mins.
- Pressure cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 whistles. You can also cook in a pot until soft.
- Apple flavored rice cereal : When the pressure goes down, open the lid and add grated apple. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins. Cool and make a smooth puree. If needed add some boiled and cooled water. Add few drops of hot ghee. Apple flavored rice is ready.
- Banana rice cereal : Cool the rice completely. Add banana and rice to a blender and make a fine puree. Pour few tbsps boiled and cooled water if desired.
Making 8 months baby food recipes
- Wash rice and dal in a cooker or pot a few times until the water runs clear. Add grated carrots and pour water.
- Pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles on a medium heat. If cooking in a pot add more water as needed.
- When the pressure goes down, using a masher mash the food to smooth. This is the stage you must be teaching you baby to eat mashed foods. Reduce feeding pureed foods. Add ghee to hot food and serve warm. Rice dal baby food is ready.
Making 8 months baby food recipes
- Soak rice until water runs clear. Soak for 30 mins and cook along with potato until soft for 3 whistles. Mash the rice well and add ghee. Feed warm. To prevent colic you can add a pinch of ajwain powder. Potato rice is ready.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.