Jackfruit seeds curry made in South Indian style. Jackfruit is very commonly consumed in South Asian countries. Apart from relishing it as a fruit, it is also used to cook various dishes. Not only the ripe fruit, even the unripe young fruit and the seeds are used. Traditionally Jackfruit seeds were fire roasted/grilled or boiled and enjoyed as a snack. They were also used to make a curry.
These seeds are usually sold in the vegetable stores or in frozen section of the supermarkets. You can also use the seeds that are left after eating the jackfruit.
This recipe is made in South Indian style like a kurma curry using coconut paste and spices. You can substitute coconut with coconut milk. However coconut can be skipped completely and a few chopped tomatoes can be used.
Preparing jackfruit seeds
1. Air dry the jack fruit seeds if they are just out from the fruit for few hours. This helps to peel off the skin better, else they will be sticky.
2. Chop each seed to 2 or 4, this helps to peel off the white skin easily. If desired scrape off the brown skin too with a knife. I did not do it.
3. Rinse the seeds thoroughly before using them. Boil them in enough water till tender yet you should get a bite into them.
How to make jackfruit seeds curry
4. Powder the roasted poppy seeds or roasted gram to fine powder. Add coconut and make a smooth paste with little water.
5. Heat a pan with oil. Then add all the whole spices (refer notes) and saute for a minute.
6. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get an aroma.
7. Add onions and green chili.
8. Fry them till the onions turn lightly golden.
9. Next Add boiled jack fruit seeds, red chili powder, turmeric and garam masala powder. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Add the ground paste and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
11. Next add salt and water enough to cover the seeds. Do not add too much water, curry can become runny.
12. Cover and cook till you see the traces of oil on top. This takes about 5 to 8 minutes.
Serve jackfruit seeds curry with rice or roti. Garnish with coriander leaves
Here are some tips that may help you if you are cooking with jackfruit seeds for the first time.
- Ensure the outer white covering over the seeds is dry and not moist. It is easy to remove the cover out of the dry seed. It is sticky and slips off when it is moist. So air dry them for a few hours.
- Many people scrape off the brown skin over the seed with a knife. But we don’t do it.
- Preboiling the seeds is important to cook them faster. Like most legumes these seeds take longer if cooked directly in the gravy. So we always boil them and discard the water.
Jackfruit seeds kurma
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup jackfruit seeds chopped
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit
- 1½ teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- 1 bay leaf or 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon cumin or shahijeera
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste or lemon juice (optional)
To blend (or ½ cup tomatoes)
- ¼ cup coconut or ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsps poppy seed or fried gram
How to make the recipe
- Chop each jack fruit seed to half or quarters. Peel off the white skin.
- Scrapping off the brown skin is optional. It can be scraped off with a knife if you prefer.
- Rinse the seeds and boil them till tender in enough water. Drain the water and set them aside.
- Dry roast the poppy seeds on a low heat until crunchy. Cool and make a fine powder in a blender. Add coconut to the same blender and make a smooth paste with little water
How to make jackfruit seeds curry
- Pour oil to a hot pan and add cumin & curry leaves (or bay leaf).
- Once the seeds crackle, add ginger garlic paste. Saute till it turns aromatic.
- Add chopped onions , slit green chilies and fry till the onions turn golden.
- Saute jack fruit seeds, turmeric, garam masala and red chili powder for about 2 mins.
- Add the coconut paste and fry for another 3 minutes.
- If using add the tamarind paste, salt and water just enough to cover the seeds.
- Cover and cook jackfruit seeds curry on a low flame for 5 to 8 minutes or till you see traces of oil on top.
- Serve the curry with rice or roti.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
Recipe originally published in August 2014. Republished in Feb 2020.