jackfruit seeds kurma curry recipe – Sharing a jack fruit seeds recipe that goes great as a side dish with biryani, pulao, kuska rice or mint / pudina rice or even with chapathi.
Jack fruit seeds are high in complex carbohydrates, fiber and vitamin A and C. These were enjoyed in the earlier days by boiling or grilling them on the char coals or roasting them on the tawa.
Jack fruit seeds are used to make curry, kurma , stir fry and sometimes added to biryani and mushroom curry too.
We love the jack fruit seeds and mushroom curry, it is the same as the Andhra mushroom curry I posted earlier, boiled seed are added to the curry instead of cashews. The boiled seed can also be added in a simple potato mushroom roast.
Jack fruit seeds kurma curry is prepared with fresh coconut and poppy seeds or roasted gram. To accompany a special meal, poppy seed taste best. It is a personal choice whether to use poppy seeds or roasted gram.
find jackfruit seeds kurma curry recipe below
jackfruit seeds kurma curry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup jack fruit seeds chopped
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- stone flower little (optional)
- 1 pinch shahi jeera , can use cumin
- 4 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 tbsps Oil
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste or 1/2 tsp. amchur or lemon juice(optional)
- 1 tbsps poppy seed roasted , or fried gram / roasted gram
- ¼ cup coconut fresh , grated or pieces
- ½ tsp Garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
How to make the recipe
- Chop each jack fruit seed to half or quarters. Peel off the white skin.
- Scrapping off the white skin is optional. It can be scraped off with a knife if you prefer.
- Wash the seed and boil them till tender
- Make a fine powder of roasted poppy seed or roasted gram . Add coconut to the same blender and make a smooth paste with little water
- Add oil to a pan and saute all the dry spices till you get an aroma
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till it turns aromatic.
- Add chopped onions , slit green chilies and fry till the onions turn golden
- Add jack fruit seeds, turmeric, garam masala and red chili powder
- Fry for about 2 minutes
- Add the coconut paste and fry for about 3 minutes
- Add tamarind paste, salt and water just enough to cover the seeds
- Cook jackfruit seeds kurma curry for 5 to 8 minutes or till you see oil on top.
How to make jack fruit seeds kurma curry with step by step pictures
1. Dry the jack fruit seeds if they are just out from the fruit for few hours. This helps to peel of the skin better, else they will be sticky
2. Chop each seed to 2 or 4, this helps to peel off the white skin easily. If desired scarpe off the brown skin too with a knife. i did not do it.
3. Wash the seeds thoroughly before using them.
4. Boil them in enough water till tender.
5. Powder the roasted poppy seeds or roasted gram to fine powder. Add coconut and make a smooth paste with little water.
6. Heat a pan with oil, add all the dry spices and saute for a minute.
7. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get an aroma of the paste.
8. Add onions and green chili, fry till the onions turn lightly golden
9. Add boiled jack fruit seeds, red chili powder, turmeric and garam masala powder.
10. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes
11. Add the ground paste and fry for 3 to 4 minutes
12. Add salt, tamarind paste and water enough to cover the seeds. Do not add too much water, curry can become runny.
13. Cook till you see the oil on top. Takes about 5 to 8 minutes. Serve jackfruit seeds kurma curry with rice or roti.
Garnish with coriander leaves