Kadai chicken recipe – or chicken karahi is one of the easiest and most flavorful dish from the Indian subcontinent. Kadai is a wok that is used to cook foods in this region. Dishes made in kadai also known as karahi are named after it like kadai chicken, kadai egg masala, kadai paneer, kadai chole, kadai mushroom, chicken karahi or karahi chicken and so on.
A mixture of freshly ground spices brings in an enticing and spicy flavors to the dishes made in kadai. There are different ways a kadai chicken is made in Indian subcontinent.
This easy restaurant style North Indian chicken curry goes by the name kadai chicken on the menus of Indian restaurants. Most restaurants use capsicum which lend a unique aroma to the dish. It is loved by us for its simplicity & the flavors.
Kadai chicken can be served with any rice based dishes, roti, naan or chapati too. This recipe is roughly been adapted from vahchef and Nita mehta’s cookbook. It has been altered slightly for ease.
To make kadai chicken gravy use some cream at the end or use thick cashew milk.
Kadai chicken or chicken karahi or chicken kadai recipe
Kadai chicken recipe | Chicken karahi | Chicken kadai recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 300 to 400 grams chicken (bone or boneless)
- ¾ cup capsicums (or bell peppers cubed)
- ½ cup onions (cubed and layers separated (optional, adds good flavor)
- ¾ cup tomatoes (chopped and pureed)
- 1 ½ tbsp oil (adjust as needed)
- 1 red chili broken
- ½ tsp cumin (optional)
- ½ cup onions chopped
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chilli powder Kashmiri (optional)
- 8 cashew nuts (or 3 tbsps cream)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Coriander leaves Few, chopped finely
For kadai masala
- 1 ½ tbsp coriander seeds (or daniya)
- 4 red chilies
- 1 to 1½ tsp garam masala powder
How to make the recipe
Dry roast coriander seeds and red chillies until crisp. Cool and powder them along with garam masala.
- Add chopped tomatoes to a blender and puree them. You can skip this step if u don’t mind using tomatoes directly.
You can skip this step if using cream. Soak cashews in warm water for 10 minutes. Then make a fine paste adding little water.
How to make chicken karahi or kadai chicken
Add oil to a kadai or wok. Fry capsicum and cubed onion for 2 minutes on a high flame. When you begin to smell them good transfer to a plate. Keep it aside.
To the same kadai add broken chili and cumin. Fry till the cumin begins to splutter.
- Add onions and fry till golden.
Next add ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off. Do not burn it.
Add chicken and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add kadai masala and red chili powder. Mix and fry well for just two to 3 minutes.
Next pour tomato puree, cashew paste and add salt.
Mix and cook till almost the raw smell goes off from the tomatoes. The masala thickens and begins to leave oil.
Cover and cook until the chicken is soft cooked.
- Add sauted onions and capsicums. Mix and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Cook till the gravy thickens to your desired consistency. If using cream, pour the cream to a bowl. Take a portion of the gravy and mix with cream. Add back to the kadai and stir well. Off the heat.
- Do not overcook kadai chicken. Capsicum and onions should be crunchy.
Sprinkle crushed kasuri methi and coriander leaves. Mix well and cook for just one to two minutes. Off the stove.
Serve kadai chicken with rice or roti.
Preparation for kadai chicken recipe
1. Dry roast coriander seeds along with red chilies until crisp. Cool and powder coarsely with garam masala.
2. Puree tomatoes. You can also use chopped tomatoes.
How to make kadai chicken
1. This step is optional. Skip if you do not want to use capsicum. Heat a pan with oil. Fry cubed onions and capsicum for 2 to 3 minutes on a high flame. When they begin to smell good, set them aside in a plate.
2. Add red chili and cumin.
3. When the cumin begins to crackle add onions and fry till golden.
4. Time to add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
5. Add chicken and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Cover and cook on a low flame for 4 to 5 mins. Do not add water.
7. Add kadai masala and saute for another two to 3 minutes.
8. Add tomato puree, cashew paste and salt. Stir and cook uncovered till the raw smell of tomato puree goes away. The gravy also thickens. This takes around 5 minutes on a medium to low flame.
9. Cover and cook until the chicken is soft and fully cooked. Then add onions and capsicums.
10. Mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Pour 3 tbsp cream to a cup, add little tomato gravy from the kadai to the cream. Mix and add back to the kadai.
12. Lastly I sprinkled crushed kasuri methi and coriander leaves. Cook for another two minutes.
Garnish kadai chicken with coriander leaves, lemon, onion wedges and ginger julienne.