Kadai mushroom recipe – Hot, spicy, flavorful and delicious mushroom dish made with fresh ground kadai masala. This dish gets its name “kadai mushroom” since it is cooked in a kadai, an Indian wok that exits in most Indian kitchens. The spice powder that is used to cook the mushrooms is the star of this recipe that lends a very unique flavor.
Kadai mushroom gravy can be served with plain rice, flavored rice, roti, chapathi or plain parathas. This also goes well in a lunch box. The spice powder or masala can be ground ahead and stored in a airtight jar.
Kadai mushroom gravy recipe
Kadai mushroom recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
For kadai masala
- 1 ½ tbsp coriander seeds or daniya
- 3 to 4 dried red chilies , kashmiri (or less spicy variety)
other ingredients for kadai mushroom recipe
- 2 to 3 tbsps oil
- 6 cashew nuts (can substitute with 3 tbsp cream)
- 1 cup onions heaped , cubed about 2 large
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped about 2 large
- ¾ inch ginger
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder (optional, just for color)
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- ½ to 1 tsp ginger julienne
- 200 grams mushrooms (about 1 ½ cups sliced)
- 1 medium onion cubed large, layers separated (optional)
- ¼ to ½ cup capsicum cubed bell pepper (optional)
- salt as needed
Preparation for kadai mushroom recipe
- Make a coarse powder of coriander seeds and red chilies in a blender. Set this aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a pan. Saute ginger garlic for 1 min. Add onions and saute until they turn slightly pink.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn completely mushy.
- Add cashews to the pan. Set this aside to cool.
- When cooled make a smooth paste of the onion tomato mixture in a blender.
- Add a tbsp of oil to the same pan.
- Rinse the mushrooms well and slice them.
- When the oil turns hot, add sliced mushrooms and saute for 3 mins.
- Add capsicum and onion cubes and saute all of them together until mushrooms turn slightly golden. Set these aside.
How to make kadai mushroom recipe
- Add another tbsp of oil to the pan and heat it.
- Add the coarse powder of coriander seeds & red chilies.
- Saute this powder for 2 mins.
- Add onion tomato paste to the pan and saute for 3 to 5 mins.
- Pour 1 cup water to the mixture and make a gravy. If needed add more water to bring it to a slightly thin consistency.
- Cover the pan and cook until the gravy thickens and you see traces of oil over the gravy.
- Check and add more salt if needed.
- Add kasuri methi and fried mushrooms, capsicum and onions.
- Stir well. Add green chilies and ginger juliennes.
- Cover the pan. Cook on a low heat for 2 to 3 mins.
- Turn off the stove. If desired sprinkle some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Rest for at least 15 mins before serving.
- Serve kadai mushroom with plain rice, roti or any breads.
Video of kadai mushroom recipe
1. Add coriander seeds & dried red chilies to a blender jar.
2. Make a coarse powder. Set this kadai masala aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Next saute chopped ginger and garlic for a min.
4. Add onions and saute them until they turn pink. Then add chopped tomatoes and salt as well.
5. Mix and fry or cook covered until the tomatoes turn completely soft. Add cashews to the pan.
6. Cool the onion tomatoes completely. Then add them to a blender jar. After making the kadai masala powder, I transferred it to a small bowl. And then used the same jar here.
7. Make a smooth paste of the onions and tomatoes without adding water. Set this aside.
8. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan. Wash and slice mushrooms just before cooking them. Fry them well for 2 to 3 mins.
9. Add capsicum and onions. Saute for another 2 mins. Set these aside in a plate.
How to make kadai mushroom gravy
10. Add another tbsp of oil. Add kadai masala and saute it for 1 to 2 mins on a low heat. Then add onion tomato paste, red chili powder and garam masala as well.
11. Saute it very well until the mixture leaves the pan.
12. Next pour 1 cup water. Mix well to make a gravy.
13. You may need more water to bring it to consistency. Cover and cook until the gravy thickens and you see traces of oil over the gravy.
14. Add kasuri methi if using. Check salt and add more if needed. Mix everything well.
15. Add fried mushrooms, capsicum and onions. Mix well.
16. Add sliced deseeded green chilies and ginger julienne. Cook covered for 2 to 3 mins on a low to medium heat. You can also garnish with handful of chopped coriander leaves.
Serve kadai mushroom gravy with rice or roti.