Kadai mushroom recipe – Hot, spicy, flavorful and delicious mushroom dish made with fresh ground kadai masala. I have shared 2 recipes in this post. First one to make kadai mushroom gravy and the second one to make the dry version. This dish gets its name “kadai mushroom” since it is cooked in a kadai with kadai masala. Kadai is an Indian wok that exists in most Indian kitchens & is used for everyday cooking.
The spice powder that is used to cook the mushrooms is the star of this recipe that lends a very unique flavor.
Kadai mushroom gravy can be served with plain rice, flavored rice like jeera rice, ghee rice, roti, chapathi or plain parathas. This also goes well in a lunch box.
The spice powder or masala can be ground ahead and stored in a airtight jar.
This is one of those recipes that is most loved at home for its unique aroma. I am sure this mushroom recipe will be your new favorite.
Tips to make kadai mushroom
- Usually kadai masala is made with coriander powder, fennel seeds, red chilies & some garam masala. I have given the recipe to make the kadai masala as well in the same post. If you do not have the whole spices and chilies just use any ready made kadai masala.
- I have used button mushrooms which are best for this curry. Feel free to use any other kind.
- You can also make this mushroom recipe with other mixed veggies like potatoes, peas & bell peppers. Just get creative and add what ever veggies you like with mushrooms. You can also add some paneer if you like.
- I have added few cashews to make the gravy slightly rich. You can either substitute with almonds or cream. If using cream then pour it towards the end.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
For kadai masala
- 1 ½ tablespoon coriander seeds or daniya
- 3 to 4 dried red chilies , kashmiri (or less spicy variety)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 cashew nuts (can substitute with 3 tbsp cream)
- 1 cup onions heaped , cubed about 2 large
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped about 2 large
- ¾ inch ginger
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (optional, just for color)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ginger julienne
- 200 grams mushrooms (about 1 ½ cups sliced)
- 1 medium onion cubed large, layers separated (optional)
- ¼ to ½ cup capsicum cubed bell pepper (optional)
- salt as needed
How to make the recipe
- Make a coarse powder of coriander seeds and red chilies in a blender. Set this aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a pan. Saute ginger garlic for 1 min.
- Next add onions and saute until they turn slightly pink.
- Then add tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn completely mushy.
- Add cashews to the pan. Set this aside to cool.
- When cooled make a smooth paste of the onion tomato mixture in a blender.
- Rinse the mushrooms well and slice them.
- Add a tbsp of oil to the same pan.
- When the oil turns hot, add sliced mushrooms and saute for 3 mins.
- Then add capsicum and onion cubes.
- Saute all of them together until mushrooms turn slightly golden. Set these aside.
How to make kadai mushroom recipe
- Add another tbsp of oil to the pan and heat it.
- Next add the coarse powder of coriander seeds & red chilies. Saute this powder for 2 mins.
- Add onion tomato paste, red chilli powder and garam masala. Saute for 3 to 5 mins.
- Pour 1 cup water to the mixture and make a gravy.
- If needed add more water to bring it to a slightly thin consistency.
- Cover the pan and cook until the gravy thickens and you see traces of oil over the gravy.
- Check and add more salt if needed.
- Add kasuri methi and fried mushrooms, capsicum and onions. Stir well.
- Add green chilies and ginger juliennes. Cover the pan.
- Cook on a low heat for 2 to 3 mins. Turn off the stove. If desired sprinkle some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Rest for at least 15 mins before serving. Serve kadai mushroom with plain rice, roti or any breads.
Video of kadai mushroom recipe
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
1. Add coriander seeds & dried red chilies to a blender jar.
2. Make a coarse powder. Set this kadai masala aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Next saute chopped ginger and garlic for a min.
4. Add onions and saute them until they turn pink. Then add chopped tomatoes and salt as well.
5. Mix and fry or cook covered until the tomatoes turn completely soft. Add cashews to the pan.
6. Cool the onion tomatoes completely. Then add them to a blender jar. After making the kadai masala powder, I transferred it to a small bowl. And then used the same jar here.
7. Make a smooth paste of the onions and tomatoes without adding water. Set this aside.
8. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan. Wash and slice mushrooms just before cooking them. Fry them well for 2 to 3 mins.
9. Add capsicum and onions. Saute for another 2 mins. Set these aside in a plate.
How to make kadai mushroom gravy
10. Add another tbsp of oil. Add kadai masala and saute it for 1 to 2 mins on a low heat. Then add onion tomato paste, red chili powder and garam masala as well.
11. Saute it very well until the mixture leaves the pan.
12. Next pour 1 cup water. Mix well to make a gravy.
13. You may need more water to bring it to consistency. Cover and cook until the gravy thickens and you see traces of oil over the gravy.
14. Add kasuri methi if using. Check salt and add more if needed. Mix everything well.
15. Add fried mushrooms, capsicum and onions. Mix well.
16. Add sliced deseeded green chilies and ginger julienne. Cook covered for 2 to 3 mins on a low to medium heat. You can also garnish with handful of chopped coriander leaves.
Serve kadai mushroom gravy with rice or roti.
Recipe 2 – Dry kadai paneer
1½ tbsp Oil
1 to 1 ½ tsps GINGER GARLIC PASTE
¼ to ½ tsp kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
½ tsp GARAM MASALA
1 Pinch of turmeric
1 large onion finely chopped
½ to ¾ cup tomatoes (2 no), chopped or pureed
1 ¼ to 1 ½ cup mushrooms sliced (10 to 12 medium)
¼ to ½ cup capsicum / bell pepper sliced
handful of coriander leaves chopped
To powder or coarsely crush
3 to 4 red chilies
1 tbsp coriander seeds / daniya
¼ to ½ tsp fennel seeds (saunf, sombu)
How to make dry kadai mushroom
- Powder red chilies, coriander seeds and fennel seeds coarsely or finely in a mixer jar. We prefer fine powder.
- Add oil to a hot pan
- Fry onions until transparent.
- Then add the ground powder and saute until it turns aromatic.
- Fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Next add mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Mix and fry for stirring often until mushrooms are done.
- Sprinkle kasuri methi and garam masala. Fry for another minute.
- Garnish with coriander and grated ginger.
Notes: For a slightly creamy consistency of the gravy, blend tomatoes with 10 cashews until smooth and use. After sauteing the mushroom, pour little water and cook until the gravy turns thick and the mushrooms are done.