Kadai mushroom recipe – Hot, spicy, flavorful and delicious dish made with mushrooms, onions, herbs and fresh ground kadai masala. The dish gets its name ‘kadai mushroom’ since it is cooked in a kadai, which is a basic wok used in most Indian kitchens. There are a lot of Indian dishes made regularly in a kadai. A special blend of spices known as kadai masala is used to flavor up these kadai dishes.
It is so aromatic & totally enhances the flavor of any dish. A kadai dish can be made with vegetables, paneer or even with legumes like chana. The basic idea is to cook them with this super flavorful spice blend.
So kadai masala is the star in this kadai mushroom recipe that lends a very unique flavor & taste. We love this at home so much that I keep making it quite often.
In this post, I have shared 2 recipes. First one is to make kadai mushroom gravy and the second one to make the semi-dry version.
Kadai mushroom gravy can be served with plain rice, flavored rice like jeera rice, ghee rice, roti, chapathi, butter naan or plain parathas. But the semi-dry version mostly goes well with any Indian flatbreads. It can also be packed in school & office lunch boxes.
The spice powder or masala can be ground ahead and stored in a airtight jar.
Recipe 1- kadai mushroom gravy
1. To a grinder jar, add
- 1½ tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 to 3 Kashmiri dried red chilies (or any heat chilies)
- 2 green cardamoms (optional)
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
2. Make a coarse powder. Set this kadai masala aside.
3. Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Next saute ¾ inch chopped ginger and 2 to 3 garlic cloves for a min.
4. Add 1 cup cubed onions (2 large) and saute them until they turn pink. Then add 1 cup chopped tomatoes (2 large) and ½ teaspoon salt as well.
5. Mix and fry or cook covered until the tomatoes turn completely soft. Add 6 cashews to the pan.
6. Cool the onion tomatoes completely. Then add them to a blender jar. After making the kadai masala powder, I transferred it to a small bowl. And then used the same jar here.
7. Make a smooth paste of the onions and tomatoes without adding water. Set this aside.
8. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan. Wash and slice mushrooms just before cooking them. Fry them well for 2 to 3 mins.
9. Add ¼ to ½ cubed bell peppers (capsicum) and 1 medium onion (diced & layers separated). Saute for another 2 to 3 mins on a high flame until a nice aroma comes out. Set these aside in a plate.
How to make kadai mushroom gravy
10. Add another tbsp of oil. Add kadai masala and saute it for 1 to 2 mins on a low heat. Then add onion tomato paste, red chili powder and garam masala as well.
11. Saute it very well until the mixture leaves the pan.
12. Next pour 1 cup water. Mix well to make a gravy.
13. You may need more water to bring it to consistency. Cover and cook until the gravy thickens and you see traces of oil over the gravy.
14. Add kasuri methi if using. Check salt and add more if needed. Mix everything well.
15. Add fried mushrooms, capsicum and onions. Mix well.
16. Add sliced deseeded green chilies and ginger julienne. Cook covered for 2 to 3 mins on a low to medium heat. You can also garnish with handful of chopped coriander leaves.
Serve kadai mushroom gravy with rice or roti.
Recipe 2 – semi-dry kadai mushroom
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons ginger fine chopped or paste
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- ½ teaspoon GARAM MASALA
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 large onion finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup tomatoes (2 medium), fine chopped or pureed
- ¼ to ½ cup capsicum / bell pepper sliced
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms sliced (10 to 12 medium)
- 1 small onion – diced and layers separated
- handful of coriander leaves chopped
To powder or coarsely crush
- 3 to 4 red chilies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds / daniya
- ¼ to ½ tsp fennel seeds (saunf, sombu)
- 1 green cardamom
How to make semi-dry kadai mushroom
1. Powder red chilies, coriander seeds and fennel seeds finely in a mixer jar.
2. Add oil to a hot pan. Add 1 fine chopped onion and saute until golden. I preferred to skip using onions here so I save some time.
3. Then add the ground kadai masala powder and saute on a low heat until it begins to smell good. The raw smell of the spices has to go away completely. Next add fine chopped ginger & saute for 30 to 40 seconds until it turns aromatic.
4. Then add fine chopped tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
5. Saute for a few minutes and cook covered until the tomatoes turn mushy. At this stage taste test the onion tomato masala and add more red chilli powder if you prefer the dish to be spicy. Pour ¼ cup water & cook until the masala turns thick.
6. Add sliced mushrooms, diced onions, bell pepper, garam masala & kasuri methi. Mix and fry stirring often for 3 to 4 mins until the raw smell of the onions reduce.
7. After that I prefer to cover and cook on a low heat until mushrooms turn tender so they absorb the flavors & release some moisture. If the veggies become too dry in the pan, sprinkle some water. I did not add any. Taste test and adjust the salt.
Garnish kadai mushroom with chopped coriander and grated ginger.
Notes: For a slightly creamy consistency of the gravy, blend tomatoes with 10 cashews until smooth and use. After sauteing the mushroom, pour little water and cook until the gravy turns thick and the mushrooms are done.
- Usually kadai masala is made with coriander powder, fennel seeds, red chilies & some garam masala. I have given the recipe to make the kadai masala as well in the same post. If you do not have the whole spices and chilies just use any ready made kadai masala.
- I have used button mushrooms which are best for this curry. Feel free to use any other kind.
- You can also make this mushroom recipe with other mixed veggies like potatoes, peas & bell peppers. Just get creative and add what ever veggies you like with mushrooms. You can also add some paneer.
- I have added few cashews to make the gravy slightly rich. You can either substitute with almonds or cream. If using cream then pour it towards the end.
Recipe card 1
Kadai mushroom recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
For kadai masala
- 1½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 to 3 dried red chilies , kashmiri (or less spicy variety)
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 green cardamoms (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 cashew nuts (can substitute with 3 tbsp cream)
- 1 cup onions heaped , cubed about 2 large
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped about 2 large
- ¾ inch ginger chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder (optional, just for color, adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt as needed
- 200 grams mushrooms (about 1 ½ cups sliced)
- 1 medium onion cubed large, layers separated (optional)
- ¼ to ½ cup capsicum cubed bell pepper (optional)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ginger julienne
Make a coarse powder of coriander seeds, red chilies, cardamoms and fennel seeds in a grinder/blender. Set this aside.
Add 1 tbsp oil to a pan. Saute ginger garlic for 1 min.
Next add onions and saute until they turn slightly pink.
Then add tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn completely mushy.
Add cashews to the pan. Set this aside to cool.
When cooled make a smooth paste of the onion tomato mixture in a blender.
Rinse the mushrooms well and slice them.
Add a tbsp of oil to the same pan.
When the oil turns hot, add sliced mushrooms and saute for 3 mins.
Then add capsicum and onion cubes.
Saute all of them together until mushrooms turn slightly golden. Set these aside.
How to make kadai mushroom
Add another tbsp of oil to the pan and heat it.
Next add the coarse powder of coriander seeds & red chilies. Saute this powder for 2 mins.
Add onion tomato paste, red chilli powder and garam masala. Saute for 3 to 5 mins.
Pour 1 cup water to the mixture and make a gravy.
If needed add more water to bring it to a slightly thin consistency.
Cover the pan and cook until the gravy thickens and you see traces of oil over the gravy.
Check and add more salt if needed.
Add kasuri methi and fried mushrooms, capsicum and onions. Stir well.
Add green chilies and ginger juliennes. Cover the pan.
Cook on a low heat for 2 to 3 mins. Turn off the stove. If desired sprinkle some finely chopped coriander leaves.
Rest for at least 15 mins before serving. Serve kadai mushroom with plain rice, roti or any breads.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes