Kadai egg masala – Delicious & healthy egg capsicum curry with step by step pictures. Eggs are one of the most versatile foods that many of us do not miss to have in our kitchen. We love curried eggs and make them often as it really doesn’t need much time to prepare. Any kind of egg curry pairs well with roti, paratha, plain rice and even as a side to flavored rice dishes like jeera rice, biryani or pulao. This kadai egg masala is one of my recent recipes that I have made it many times to go with the jeera rice. It tastes delicious, full of flavors from the fresh ground kadai masala and capsicum. Since it is quick to make, you can also cook this when you have guests home for a meal.
How to make egg capsicum curry
1. Add 2 tbsp of cleaned coriander seeds and 2 to 3 red chilies to a blender jar. If you have kids at home, reduce them to 1 to 2.
2. Make it to a slightly coarse or fine powder depending on your taste. I made slightly coarse. Do not make it very coarse.
3. In the same blender, puree onions and tomatoes. Set this aside and make a fine paste of cashews. You can also puree cashews, onions and tomatoes together.
4. You will have to boil the eggs either in a pressure cooker or in a pot. Peel the shells. Pierce them with a fork or knife few times for the flavors to be absorbed. Heat a kadai and saute them in oil until golden. You can also skip roasting and add them to the gravy directly. Set these aside.
5. To the same pan add 1 cup cubed capsicum and 1 cup cubed onions (layers separated). Fry these on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes to bring out the flavors. Set these aside along with the eggs.
6. To the same pot, add some more oil and saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
7. Add the kadai masala and saute on a low heat till it begins to smell good. We have not roasted the spices earlier, so make sure you do it here until the aroma comes out.
8. Add tomato and onion puree. Cook this for 2 to 3 mins.
9. Add red chili powder, garam masala and salt. I used this homemade garam masala . Chili powder is used to bring a bright color, you can also reduce or skip it if you have used enough red chilies earlier.
10. Saute until the mixture thickens a bit. Then add cashew paste.
11. Saute until the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan.
12. Add 1 cup water and bring it to a boil. I used ¼ cup more. You will have to adjust the amount of water slightly to bring it to a consistency.
13. Cook for about 3 to 4 mins or until the gravy thickens.
14. Add eggs and roasted capsicum, onions.
15. Mix and simmer for 2 mins. Add kasuri methi and ginger juliennes. Switch off the stove. Keep covered until you serve. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Kadai egg masala recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 to 5 boiled eggs
- 1 cup capsicum cubed
- ¾ to 1 cup onions cubed (layers separated)
- 2 tbsps coriander seeds
- 2 to 3 red chilies (less spicy variety, can reduce to 1 to 2)
- ¾ cup onions cubed (1 large)
- 1 to 1 ¼ cup tomatoes deseeded chopped (3 medium)
- 1 ¼ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 10 cashew nuts
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder (used for color, you can skip)
- salt as needed
- 1 pinch kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves, crushed
- ginger juliennes Few , for garnish
- coriander leaves Few , for garnish
- Powder the ingredients mentioned under “to powder”. Set this aside.
- Make a fine paste of cashews in the same jar with little water. Set this aside.
- Puree the tomatoes and onions as well.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute eggs until golden. Set these aside.
- Saute capsicum and onions on a high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Set these aside.
- Add more oil and saute ginger garlic paste for 1 to 2 mins, add the ground powder and saute until fragrant.
- Add onion tomato puree and saute for 2 mins.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and salt. Fry for few mins.
- Add the cashew paste. Saute untilt he mixture leaves the sides.
- Add 1 cup water and cook until the oil begins to separate.
- Add onions, capsicum and eggs. Stir and cook for 2 mins.
- Sprinkle kasuri methi and coriander leaves. Switch off the heat.
- Serve with paratha, roti or plain rice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes