Matar paneer is a Restaurant style creamy, delicious and rich peas paneer masala. Matar paneer is one of India’s most popular paneer dishes. In most Indian homes, it is made during winters when fresh peas are in season. However it can also be made with frozen peas anytime around the year.
This matar paneer is the best when you plan for a special meal. Some roti, phulka, naan or plain basmati rice, jeera rice or ghee rice will be great to pair up with this.
I usually make matar paneer with raw onions, tomatoes and cashews blended together. It is a super quick recipe and is great to make when you are in a hurry.
Today’s recipe takes some time since the onions and tomatoes are sautéed first and pureed. This is what makes the dish simply superb and unique.
This recipe is roughly adapted from my Paneer butter masala which is a popular recipe on the blog.
Matar paneer or mutter paneer recipe
Matar paneer | Mutter paneer
matar paneer is a delicious creamy dish made of peas and Indian cottage cheese. This recipe will give you restaurant style matar paneer. Plain basmati rice, roti, phulka, jeera rice, ghee rice or Naan go well with matar paneer.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
To fry & puree
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic or lahsun chopped
- 1 inch ginger or adrak chopped
- 1 cup onions chopped (1 large)
- 1 to 1 ¼ cup tomatoes (2 medium) chopped
- 10 cashewnuts
- ½ tsp Salt
For matar paneer gravy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 2 cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 small bay leaf (optional)
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chili powder (less spicy variety)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- ½ to ¾ tsp coriander powder
- ½ to ¾ cup peas or matar (boiled or frozen)
- 1 to 1 ¼ cup water (use more if needed)
- 1 green chili deseeded & slit
- 200 to 250 grams paneer or indian cottage cheese
- ¾ to 1 tsp Kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- Salt as needed (about ¼ to ½ tsp)
- Handful coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp milk cream
How to make the recipe
Preparation for matar paneer recipe
Fry ginger garlic in 1 tbsp oil for a minute. Next add onions & fry until they turn light golden. Put in tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Saute for 2 to 3 mins. Cook covered until soft & mushy.
Add cashews. Cool this completely. Make a fine paste of this in the blender.
How to make matar paneer
Heat 2 tbsps oil in the same pan. Saute cinnamon, cardamoms & bay leaf for a minute.
Pour the pureed onion tomato mixture. Add chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder.
Saute until it leaves the pan. Keep stirring to prevent burning.
Add green peas. If using fresh peas, boil them until tender in a pot, drain and use. If using frozen peas then you can rinse and use.
Pour 1 to 1 ¼ cups water. Mix well to make a gravy. Add more water if needed.
Mix and cook covered on a medium heat until the gravy thickens and traces of oil appear over the gravy.
Check salt and add more if needed. Add green chilli, paneer and kasuri methi.
Mix well. Cover and cook just for 2 mins. Sprinkle coriander leaves and cream. Stir well.
Serve matar paneer with rice, naan or paratha.
Video of matar paneer recipe
You can substitute tofu for paneer.
Preparation for matar paneer recipe
1. Heat a pan and add 1 tbsp oil. When the oil turns hot, add ginger and garlic. Saute just for a minute.
2. Add chopped onions. Saute them until they turn pink to light golden. The raw smell of the onions has to go away.
3. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
4. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
5. Cover the pan. Cook on a medium flame until the onions and tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Add cashews and turn off the stove.
7. Cool this mixture completely. Transfer to a blender jar.
8. Make a smooth puree without adding water.
How to make matar paneer recipe
9. Heat a pan with 2 tbsps oil. Add cinnamon, cardamoms and a small bay leaf. You can also skip them and just add 1/2 tsp cumin. Fry them for a min.
10. Pour the onion tomato puree. Add chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder. You can also add the spice powders first to hot oil. If the pan is too hot , it will burn the powders so i added later.
11. Fry this until the mixture comes together. Keep stirring often.
12. Add boiled green peas or frozen peas. If using fresh peas, then you may need to boil them. Drain and use here. I used frozen peas, so just rinsed well and added. Pour 1 to 1 1/4 cup water.
13. Mix well.
14. Cover and cook until the gravy thickens.
15. Taste the gravy and add more salt if needed.
16. Add chilli, paneer and kasuri methi. Mix gently and cover. Cook just for 2 to 3 mins.
17. Add chopped coriander leaves and cream. Mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Serve matar paneer with basmati rice, roti, phulka or ghee rice.