Guntur chicken fry made with fresh ground spices – Learn to make spicy guntur chicken with step by step photos. Chicken fry can be as simple as a potato fry and can be made in many ways. Most of the times, it is the fry that gets done at home since the gravy dishes are difficult to finish. I have already posted an Andhra chicken fry recipe in a restaurant style which is mildly spiced, flavorful, simple to prepare and can be prepared even by bachelors. But today’s kodi vepudu recipe in Guntur or Andhra Style is a fiery hot and spicy dish that is deep red in color, as it is prepared with the Guntur red chilies.
I have mentioned what i use, you can adjust the quantities to suit your family’s taste. There is no separate garam masala needed since i have mentioned the spices to powder.
How to make Guntur chicken
1. Marinate chicken with all the marination ingredients and set aside for 30 minutes. Cook the chicken till soft. While the chicken cooks, dry roast all the spices.
2. Cool them and powder them. Add coconut and blend.
3. Add garlic and blend. Do not add garlic at step 1.
4. Add oil and heat a pan. Add curry leaves and fry until crisp.
5. Add cooked chicken. Fry till the moisture evaporates.
6. Add ground masala powder. Mix well and fry until the masala gets roasted well and moisture dries up.
7. This is optional. Sprinkle powdered cashews to give a restaurant style taste. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Serve with rice and rasam or as a starter. Guntur chicken is ready.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
To marinate and cook
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup onions , coarsely crushed
- 1 ½ tsp Lemon juice
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ghee melted
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
to roast and powder
- 3 to 4 red chilies , guntur (remove the seeds)
- 1 ½ tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp Desiccated coconut / endu kobbari (optional)
- ¼ tsp cumin / jeera
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 pepper corn
Preparation for guntur chicken
- Marinate chicken with marination ingredients in a pot. Set aside for at least 30 mins.
- Begin to cook on a medium flame until soft and tender.
- If needed can add few tbsp of water. If there is any excess moisture after cooking the chicken just evaporate it by cooking further.
- While the chicken cooks, dry roast the red chilies, coriander, cloves, pepper, cinnamon and cardamoms.
- When they turn fragrant, add cumin and coconut. Cool these and blend all of these together with garlic to a fine powder.
Making guntur chicken
- Heat a wide tawa with ghee or oil. Add curry leaves and fry till crisp. Set aside half for garnish.
- Add the chicken with left over stock if any, on a high flame let the water evaporate.
- Add the ground masala and fry till you get a good aroma. This takes around 8 mins.
- Add the cashew powder and ghee. Mix well and fry for another 2 to 3 mins or till the raw smell goes off. You can taste and check if the masala tastes raw.
- Serve guntur chicken with rice.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes