Soya chunks fried rice or meal maker fried rice is another easy and quick rice dish that can be cooked in less than 10 minutes, if you have the cooked rice in hand.
Soya chunks are protein and fiber rich and often used to make biryani and curries. I had tried several methods to make this soya chunks fried rice and recently I ended up making this perfect rice that was so tasty. Since then we love it to eat at least once a week.
To make soya chunks fried rice, I have used star anise and a single strand of mace also called as javitri. My suggestion is to use these, it makes the dish special by adding a great flavour.
I make a sweet beetroot salad to accompany this for the kid’s lunch box, but can be had without any side dish too.
To make the sweet beetroot salad, Mix ¼ cup of grated beetroot, few tbsps. Grated coconut, few raisins and chopped cashews and a tsp of honey.
soya chunks fried rice or meal maker fried rice recipe below
soya chunks fried rice recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rice long grain
- ¼ to 1/3 cup soya chunks or granules
- 1 tbsp soya sauce (can increase by ¼ tsp.)
- capsicum / bell peppers (green, red any), Few juliennes
- 1 to 2 stalks spring onions (green and white separated)
- 1 handful Green peas (optional)
- Carrots few juliennes
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/8 tsp pepper powder
- 2 tbsps Olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 star anise / star flower / chakri phool, small
- 1 strand mace / javitri
- salt as needed
How to make the recipe
- Boil soya chunks till soft. Squeeze up the excess water and rinse them thoroughly with cold water. Squeeze up the excess water and repeat the cold water rinse once more. Make sure there is no water left in the chunks
- soak and cook rice al dente, the rice should not turn mushy, cool it on a wide plate
- Heat a wok with oil, add mace and star anise, and let them fry for 2 minutes. Add minced garlic, sauté till you get an aroma.
- Add soya chunks, white part of spring onions, other vegetables, sauté on high heat for 3 to 4 mins
- Pour vinegar and soya sauce. Let it bubble for 1 minutes.
- Add rice, pepper powder, salt and spring onions. Mix and fry on high for 2 to 3 mins
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
how to make soya chunks fried rice or meal maker fried rice
1. Cook rice al dente, it should be grainy and not mushy. Set aside to cool
2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil and cook soya chunks till soft. squeeze off the frothy water and rinse. Repeat this once more. There should be no water left in the chunks.
3. Heat a wok with oil, add spices and garlic, fry till garlic turns aromatic.
4. Add vegetables except green onions, soya chunks and fry on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Pour the soya sauce and vinegar. When they begin to bubble, add rice, salt, green spring onions and pepper. Stir and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.