Aloo methi recipe – easy recipe of fenugreek leaves and potatoes sauteed in garlic & spices. Fenugreek leaves are called methi in hindi and potatoes known as aloo. Hence the name aloo methi. They both pair up wonderfully well to make a stir fry, variety rice or Paratha.
All of us love recipes that are simple for everyday meal and this is one of them. To make this aloo methi recipe, I have used just 7 ingredients and the results are simply superb.
Sometimes I also pack this for the kid’s school box as a side with some roti or lemon rice. It can also be used to make kathi rolls. I just mash the potatoes a bit before using them in the wrap.
Aloo methi recipe
Aloo methi | How to make aloo methi
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups potatoes or aloo chopped or cubed
- 1 ½ cups methi leaves chopped fenugreek leaves
- 2 cloves garlic Chopped
- ¾ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 ½ tsp oil or ghee
- Salt as needed
- 2 Green chili slit or chopped
- Pinch turmeric (optional)
- Pinch hing (optional)
- ½ to ¾ tsp Garam masala (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for aloo methi
- Pluck methi leaves and add it to a large bowl filled with water.
- Sprinkle one tsp salt over the leaves and set aside for 10 minutes. This helps the mud and pesticide residue to melt off the leaves.
- Wash and peel potatoes. Cube them. Keep them immersed in a bowl of water to prevent potatoes from getting discolored.
Making aloo methi
- Add oil to a pan, add cumin. When they begin to crackle, add garlic and fry till it begins to smell good. Sprinkle hing.
- Transfer potatoes and sprinkle turmeric. Fry for one to 2 minutes.
- Pour in water just enough to cook potatoes. Alternately you can skip adding water & just saute them in oil stirring often until soft cooked. You can also use pressure cooked potatoes to quicken the entire process.
- While the aloo cooks, drain off the leaves. Wash in fresh water. Repeat rinsing if needed.
- Drain off the water completely. Chop them finely.
- Check if the potatoes are cooked by piercing a fork into the aloo.
- When the aloo is soft cooked, evaporate if any water is left. Add little garam masala and salt. Stir and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped methi leaves and chilies. Fry until the leaves wilt off. Do not over fry to prevent nutrition loss.
- Serve aloo methi with rice or roti.
1. Pluck and wash methi leaves thoroughly in enough water. Repeat the rinse a few times. Drain completely in a colander. Meanwhile Peel and cut potatoes. Add them to water. Set aside.
How to make aloo methi
2. Fry cumin and garlic till aromtic in hot oil. Add a pinch of hing.
3. Add potatoes, turmeric and fry for 2 minutes.
4. Pour water just enough to cook potatoes. Do not add lot of water. Alternately you can also skip adding water and saute them in the pan until completely cooked. Or you can also pressure cook potatoes until just done and use them here.
5. Next cover and cook till the potatoes are soft cooked.
6. Make sure the water is evaporated completely. Add garam masala and salt. Fry for one to two minutes.
How to make aloo methi
7. Add chopped chilies and methi leaves. I have not used red chili powder. The heat comes only from green chilies. So add a good amount of chilies. Lastly fry until the leaves wilt off. Prevent over frying otherwise there will be loss of nutrients.
Ready to serve aloo methi with rice or roti.