Methi rice recipe – Quick and easy rice recipe for lunch box or dinner. It can be served alone with a fresh vegetable salad or a simple raita. A simple potato fry goes well with this rice for the kids’ lunch box. This rice turns out very flavorful and is quick, easy to make. Cooked rice is mixed with sauteed methi leaves and spice powder. There is also a one pot methi pulao recipe here on the blog. But the recipe i am sharing now is a different one, both good in their own way.
To quicken the process, I soak the rice the previous night and switch on the electric rice cooker with a timer set for the next morning. The rice gets done by the time I am ready to make this methi rice. I cool it and then proceed with the methi rice recipe.
I also pluck the leaves, clean and keep them ready the previous night. The next morning, I wash them a few times and then drain well. Next use here in this methi rice recipe. You can skip green peas and use cashews in the recipe.
Methi rice recipe
Methi rice recipe | Methi recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for methi rice
- 1 cup rice – uncooked rice
- 1 tbsp oil or as needed
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 to 2 green chili slit
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 ¼ cup methi leaves (tightly packed or fenugreek leaves)
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala or any spice powder
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric as needed
- salt as needed
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
How to make the recipe
How to make methi rice
- Wash and soak rice for about 20 minutes. Cook rice to grainy and cool completely.
- Saute cumin, green chilli and garlic in hot oil. You can also add 1 small bay leaf, 1inch cinnamon & 2 cardamoms if you like.
- Next saute methi leaves and peas for 3 to 4 minutes until the leaves wilt completely.
- Add masala powder, turmeric and mix well.
- Switch off the stove.Add rice and salt to the pan. Mix everything well. If desired can add little lemon juice.
- Serve methi rice with raita or a veggie salad.
How to make methi rice
1. Saute jeera, garlic, cardamoms and slit green chili in ghee or oil. If making for lunch box, use oil. Peanut oil goes very well for this rice, if you have you can use.
2. When the garlic is slightly fried, add chopped methi leaves and green peas.
3. I forgot to add green chili at step 1 so used now. If making for kids, deseed and use. Saute on a medium flame until the leaves wilt off. This takes approximately 3 minutes. Do not over fry, the flavors and nutrients will be lost.
4. Add turmeric and garam masala. Stir and switch off.
5. Transfer cooked cooled rice. Sprinkle salt. If your rice is still hot, then add and set aside to cool do not mix. Mix it when the rice cools down a bit.
6. If your rice is cooled, then you can mix it well and adjust salt. You can also sprinkle little lemon juice if you like.
Serve methi rice with salad or curd.