Methi rice recipe with stovetop & instant pot instructions – Quick and easy rice dish made with fresh methi leaves, spices and rice. It can be served without any sides or with a refreshing vegetable salad & a simple raita. I make this often for the kids’ lunch box with a simple potato fry This methi rice turns out very flavorful and tastes delicious.
In this recipe, cooked rice is mixed with sauteed methi leaves and spice powders. There is also a one pot methi pulao recipe here on the blog. But the recipe I have shared here is a different one. Both taste good in their own way.
To quicken the process, I soak the rice the previous night and switch on the electric rice cooker with a timer set for the next morning. The rice gets done by the time I am ready to make this methi rice. I cool it and then proceed with the methi rice recipe.
I also pluck the leaves, clean and keep them ready the previous night. The next morning, I rinse them a few times and then drain well. Next use here in to make this.
We prefer some green peas here as they impart a mild sweet flavor. You can skip them or use some cashews.
Stovetop methi rice
1. Pour 1 tablespoon oil to a hot pan. Add half teaspoon jeera, 1 to 2 chopped garlic cloves, 2 green cardamoms and slit green chili. If making for lunch box, use oil. Using ghee for lunch box sometimes make the rice hard.
2. When the garlic is slightly fried, add 1¼ cup chopped methi leaves and ½ cup green peas.
3. I forgot to add green chili at step 1 so used now. If making for kids, deseed and use. Saute on a medium flame until the leaves wilt off. This takes approximately 3 to 4 minutes. I prefer not to over fry, so they retain the flavors and nutrients.
4. Add 1 pinch of turmeric and ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala. Stir and switch off.
5. Transfer cooked cooled rice. Sprinkle salt. If your rice is still hot, then add and set aside to cool. Do not mix hot rice as it turns mushy. Mix it when the rice cools down a bit.
6. Taste test and add more salt if you need. I prefer to sprinkle little lemon juice. Serve methi rice with salad or curd.
Methi rice recipe (Methi recipes)
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rice – uncooked rice
- 1 tbsp oil or as needed
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 to 2 green chili slit
- ½ cup green peas (frozen or preboiled)
- 1¼ cup methi leaves (tightly packed fenugreek leaves)
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala or any spice powder (adjust to taste)
- ⅛ tsp turmeric as needed
- salt as needed
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
Stovetop methi rice
- Wash and soak rice for about 20 minutes. Bring 2 cups water to a boil and add rice. Cook covered until the rice is done to a grainy texture and not mushy. Cool completely.
- Pour oil to a hot pan and add cumin, green cardamoms, green chilli and garlic.
- Saute garlic until a nice aroma comes out, then add green peas and methi leaves. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes until the leaves wilt completely.
- Add garam masala powder, turmeric and mix well. Turn off the stove.
- Transfer cooled rice and sprinkle salt. Mix everything well. Add some lemon juice. Taste test and add more salt and lemon juice if needed.
- Serve methi rice with raita or a veggie salad.
Instant pot methi rice
- Rinse 1 cup basmati rice and soak it. Set aside for 20 mins. Meanwhile pluck the methi leaves.
- Press SAUTE button on the instant pot. Pour oil to the steel insert.
- Add cumin, green cardamoms, garlic and green chilies. When they begin to splutter, add green peas and methi leaves.
- Saute for a minute or 2 until the leaves wilt. Add garam masala, turmeric, salt and drained rice. Pour 1¼ cup water.
- Press CANCEL button and scrape the bottom with a spatula to release any bits of food stuck.
- Press PRESSURE COOK button and set the timer to 5 minutes if using basmati rice. If using regular rice, set the timer to 10 minutes.
- Allow natural pressure release for 5 minutes. Release the rest manually. Let the methi rice cool down a bit and then taste test it. Then add more salt if needed and squeeze in lemon juice.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes