Sprouts sandwich recipe – easy and delicious sandwich for breakfast or quick evening snack using sprouted green gram or moong bean sprouts. If you have the sprouts ready, this recipe just needs 10 minutes of your time. This sandwich can also be made with just thoroughly soaked green gram. To make the stuffing there is no cooking involved, except to put together all the ingredients.
Bread makes a rare appearance at home, it is just a stand by when I am unable to make the Indian breakfast foods. Sometimes i make sandwich for a change for the kids’evening snacks. This also goes well in the kids snack box too.
You may like this collection of sandwich recipes
Sprouts sandwich recipe
Moong bean sprouts sandwich recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread brown or multigrain bread
- ¼ cup green gram sprouts or soaked green gram
- 2 tbsp onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomatoes finely chopped (deseeded and firm)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves / cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 green chili chopped (skip for kids)
- salt as needed
- 1 pinch chaat masala / garam masala (adjust)
- 1 pinch amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 2 tsp ghee or butter
How to make the recipe
- Butter the bread slices on the outer side.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the mixture on side that is not buttered.
- Cover with another slice. Toast it in a sandwich maker.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make moong bean sprouts sandwich
1. To sprout the whole moong or green gram you can follow this detailed post on how to grow sprouts at home. The day I made this sandwich my beans had just begun to sprout, so they are very tiny. You can also make this sandwich just with soaked green gram. Add sprouts, finely chopped onion, tomatoes (deseeded), chilies, coriander leaves, chaat masala and little amchur powder to a bowl. If making for kids skip chili. You can substitute chaat masala with little garam masala. You can also add your favorite veggies like carrots, beets, tender cabbage and spring onions. Mix everything well.
2. Smear ghee or butter on the outer side of the bread.
3. Place the mixture evenly.
4. Cover with another slice of bread. Toast it in a sandwich maker until done or golden.
We served with homemade tomato ketchup.