Moong dal payasam or kheer recipe – South Indian style payasam recipe also known as pasi paruppu payasam or pesara pappu payasam. A smooth creamy and delicious tasting kheer. Split skinned green gram is known as moong dal in Indian language. It is called as pesara pappu in telugu, hesaru bele in kannada and is the most sought among lentils in Indian Cuisine. It is considered to be tridoshic in Ayurveda and is light on the stomach, hence it is more often used in Indian homes.
Moong dal is preferred for preparing naivedyam or prasadam, an offering made to gods during religious ceremonies and puja. The most usual prasadam from south Indian cuisine like sweet pongal or chakkari pongal or pesara boorelu are also prepared using this dal.
We call this Moong dal payasam as pesara pappu payasam in telugu. It can be offered as prasadam or can even be fed to babies older than 8 months or can be enjoyed by all kids and adults. It is very delicious and hence can be prepared for special occasions and festivals too. It is also prepared during summers as moong dal is said to balance the heat in the body.
Moong dal payasam can be made in a few different ways. The color of the moong dal kheer depends on the kind of jaggery used. In my mom’s house to make this payasam, dal is not cooked mushy. It is prepared with diluted milk and fresh grated coconut is used along with the fried chunks of coconut and cashews for final garnish. It has a lighter taste than the recipe sharing now.
Moong dal payasam recipe or Pasi paruppu payasam
Moong dal payasam recipe | Pasi paruppu or Pesara pappu payasam
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup moong dal or pesara pappu or pasi paruppu
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup milk or thin coconut milk(adjust to bring it to consistency)
- ½ to ¾ cup jaggery or sugar
- 1/8 tsp green cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Nuts & raisins
- Ghee as desired
- Dry roast moong dal till you get a nice aroma.
- Wash few times until water runs clear. Pressure cook or soft cook with 1 cup water. When the pressure goes off, open the lid.
Making moong dal payasam
- Stir in milk as needed to bring it to a consistency and begin to cook on a low flame.
- If using sugar, skip this step. Grate jaggery add it to a small pot. Stir in very little water, melt on a low flame for a while. Filter this melted jaggery and boil until it thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Add sugar or jaggery syrup, cardamom powder to the moong dal. If you pour the hot jaggery syrup in boiling payasam, it will curdle most of the times. So make sure you cool it. Stir well. If you have you have add little coconut milk and stir. Simmer for 1 to 2 mins. Do not cook longer, it can curdle.
- Fry nuts and raisins in ghee. Pour this to the moong dal payasam.
How to make moong dal payasam recipe
1. Dry roast half cup moong dal until aromatic. You can directly roast in pressure cooker or pot as well.
2. Wash and cook with 1 cup or more water until soft.
3. When the pressure goes off, add cardamom powder.
4. Add coconut milk or milk and stir well. Cook on a low flame for a while or until it begins to bubble. Switch off the flame.
5. Skip this step if using sugar, just add sugar to the boiling kheer and switch off when the sugar is melted completely. If using jaggery, Stir it in a pot with little water.
6. Filter to remove dust particles. Boil until it thickens. Cool completely.
7. Add it to the cooked kheer and stir.
8. Fry nuts in ghee and garnish moong dal payasam.