Mushroom fry recipe – Stir fried mushrooms with cashews, Indian spices & herbs. This mushroom fry is very simple to make yet it tastes amazingly delicious with a wonderful aroma of masala. It goes well with rice, roti or even with bread.
To make this dish first onion & tomatoes are stir fried then spiced with masala powder and chilli powder. Then the mushrooms are stir fried in the onion tomato masala.
The recipe shared here is the simplest way you can make a flavorful mushroom stir fry. I have used cashews here, you can replace them with green peas, tofu or even paneer.
How to make mushroom stir fry
1. Add oil to a pan and heat. Add cumin and mustard (optional).
2. When they crackle, saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
3. Fry finely chopped onions or onion paste evenly.
4. Stir often until they turn golden.
5. Add tomato puree or finely chopped tomatoes.
6. Saute until the raw smell goes away from the mixture.
7. Add curry leaves, garam masala, red chili powder and turmeric.
8. Saute for 1 to 2 mins on a low flame until the curry leaves smell good.
9. Add mushrooms and cashews or peas. Sprinkle salt evenly.
10. Fry for 2 to 3 mins. Cover and cook on a low flame until the mushrooms are cooked. They let out lot of moisture when covered and cooked. If they do not release moisture, then you can sprinkle little water.
11. Cook until the water evaporates. Adjust salt if needed and add 1 tsp of lemon juice. This is optional.
Serve mushroom fry with rice or chapathi.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ¼ cup white button mushrooms sliced or 10 to 12
- ¼ cup green peas or cashews
- 1 onions finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- 1 to 2 sprigs curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 to 3 tbsps Oil
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala or meat masala (readymade is ok)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
How to make the recipe
- Chop onions, slit green chilies. Soak cashews for 15 minutes or rinse green peas, drain them and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin, mustard, allow them to splutter. Fry ginger garlic paste for 2 mins.
- Add onions and fry them evenly till they brown, not burnt. While the onions fry, you can chop the mushrooms.
- Next add tomato and saute until the moisture dries up and the raw smell goes off.
- Add chili powder, garam masala, curry leaves and turmeric. Saute until the raw smell has gone, just for a minute.
- Add chopped mushrooms, cashews and salt. Fry on a medium flame till you begin to get an aroma of mushrooms. This takes 2 mins.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the mushrooms are cooked, giving a good stir in between. Do not overcook as mushrooms tend to become soggy very fast. Add lemon juice if desired.
- Serve mushroom fry with rice and ghee or chapathi.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.