Chilli mushroom made under 15 minutes with mushrooms, green onions, bell peppers, soya sauce, chilli sauce and garlic. My quick home style chilli mushroom is easier, healthier and delicious, all without deep frying mushrooms! Serve it as a snack, party appetizer or a side with your Chinese meal of hakka noodles or fried rice. The options are endless, you can also wrap it in your rotis or tortillas or simple serve it with some bread toast.
I have also shared the tips to make a gravy version of the recipe. If you are a family of mushroom lovers, this recipe is sure to please you all.
Chilli mushroom is an Indo-Chinese appetizer where crisp batter fried mushrooms are tossed in a sweet and spicy chilli sauce. The saucy mushrooms taste simply delicious with a nutty and earthy aroma. Though chilli mushroom bears resemblances to Mushroom Manchurian both taste very different.
My home style recipe to make chilli mushroom is simpler and tastes delicious all without deep frying the mushrooms. Moreover there is no use of refined flour like corn starch or all-purpose flour in the recipe.
We saute the mushrooms on a high heat to bring out the earthy aroma and toss it in sauce. Isn’t that simple?
Yes it’s as simple as I just said. The key step in this recipe is that you need to balance the sweet, spice and tang for the perfect taste and texture. With so many different brands of sauces available in the market, we want to get the best and right results so you need to adjust the quantities of sauces.
This recipe uses a moderately generous amount of olive oil or peanut oil that gives the chilli mushroom a great flavour and taste. So do not skimp on the oil.
You can easily transform my saucy semi-dry chilli mushroom to gravy version by simply using a small quantity of corn starch and more sauces. For that stir in half a teaspoon of corn flour with ¼ cup of luke warm.
Break up the lumps and pour it to the skillet at the last step. Bring it to a boil on a medium heat. Turn off when it thickens slightly. Add more sauces as needed to taste.
How to make chilli mushroom
1. Chop 2 to 3 stalks of spring onions, half cup bell peppers, 2 to 3 garlic cloves and 1 cup mushrooms (quartered). Slit 1 green chili if using.
2. Heat 1 to 1½ tablespoons olive oil or peanut oil in a pan on a high flame. Choose the larger burner on your stovetop and regulate to the highest flame. Saute garlic in oil until aromatic, for 30 to 60 seconds without burning.
3. Add 1 cup sliced or cut mushrooms along with 1 deseeded slit chili.
4. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
5. Add spring onions and capsicum. Saute until half done, the capsicums must be crunchy. This may take about 2 to 3 mins.
6. Add 1 tablespoon soya sauce or tamari.
7. Add 1½ to 2 tablespoons red chili sauce and ¾ to 1 tablespoon tomato sauce. Add more sauce if needed.
8. Add 2 to 3 tbsp water all over. Stir and toss well. When the sauce reaches a thick consistency, Switch off. Taste the sauce and add more salt if desired. I have not added as the sauces already have salt in them.
Chilli mushroom recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup button mushrooms (cleaned and quartered)
- ½ cup bell pepper / capsicum cubed
- ⅓ cup spring onions (3 stalks)
- 1 green chili (slit and remove seeds)
- 1 tablespoon garlic , chopped, 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 to 1½ tablespoon olive oil or peanut oil or any
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce or tamari (adjust to taste)
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons chili sauce (adjust to taste)
- ¾ to 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup or tomato sauce (adjust to taste)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (crushed)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Rinse mushrooms well under running water. Slice or halve or quarter them.
How to make chilli mushroom
- Heat a wide skillet with oil on a high flame.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 to 60 seconds until aromatic. Do not brown or brown it.
- Next add mushrooms and slit green chilli. Saute for 2 mins.
- Add the capsicum and half of the spring onions, toss and fry till the capsicums are almost cooked yet crunchy.
- Make sure mushrooms are cooked yet not mushy.
- Add the sauces to the skillet all over and pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of water. Quickly stir well. The water immediately blends with the sauce and evaporates.
- Next sprinkle black pepper. Toss and fry for another min or until the sauce thickens.
- Check salt and add more sauces to suit your taste. Chili sauce & ketchup already have salt so I have not used. Off the heat.
- Serve chilli mushroom with hakka noodles or fried rice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes