Chilli mushroom recipe – A simple healthy mushroom recipe that’s perfect for a home preparation. This is almost same as restaurant style popular Indo chinese chilli mushroom except the mushrooms are not deep fried here.
To make the restaurant style chilli mushroom recipe, mushrooms are battered and then fried. But the recipe shared here is stir fried and no corn flour is used.
But uses a generous amount of olive oil that gives a great flavor and taste.
This flavorful chilli mushroom can be prepared in just 10 mins and you will love it, if you are a mushroom lover.
If you wish to make this a gravy dish, just stir in ½ a tsp of corn flour in ¼ cup of warm water, remove lumps and pour it in the skillet at the end. Bring it to a boil and off the heat.
How to make chilli mushroom
1. Heat olive oil in a pan on a high flame. Choose the biggest burner on the stove and put on to highest flame. Saute garlic in oil until aromatic.
2. Add sliced or cut mushrooms along with deseeded slit chili.
3. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
4. Cover and cook until they are half cooked.
5. Add spring onions and capsicum. Saute until half done, the capsicums must be crunchy.
6. Add soya sauce.
7. Add red chili sauce and tomato sauce. Add more sauce if needed.
8. Add 2 tbsp water. Stir and toss well. When the sauce reaches a thick consistency, Switch off. Taste the sauce and add more salt if desired. I have not added as the sauces already have salt in them.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup button mushrooms (cleaned and quartered)
- ½ cup bell pepper / capsicum cubed
- 1/3 cup spring onions , chopped
- 1 green chili (slit and remove seeds)
- 1 tbsp garlic , chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1½ to 2 tbsp chili sauce (If not sweet, add 1/4 tsp of sugar)
- ¾ to 1 tbsp tomato ketchup or tomato sauce
- 1/8 tsp pepper powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp water
How to make the recipe
- Rinse mushrooms well.
- Slice or halve or quarter them. If you want to remove the skin you can just peel off.
How to make chilli mushroom
- Heat a wide skillet with oil on a high flame.
- Add garlic and sauté for a min to get a good aroma.
- Next add mushrooms and chilli. Saute for 2 mins.
- Cover and cook until the mushrooms are half done.
- Add the capsicum and spring onions, toss and fry till the capsicums are almost cooked but not soft.
- Make sure mushrooms are cooked as well.
- Add the sauces to the skillet evenly. Add 2 tbsp water.
- Next sprinkle pepper powder. Toss and fry for another min or until the sauce thickens.
- Check salt and add more if needed. Chili sauce & ketchup already have salt so I have not used. Off the heat.
- Serve chilli mushroom with hakka noodles or fried rice.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.