Garlic mushroom recipe – Button mushrooms sauteed in Indian style garlic sauce. These hot & spicy garlic mushrooms go good with just anything – plain rice, inside a sandwich bread or wrap, fried rice, noodles or serve as a starter. It is made with very few ingredients and tastes super delicious.
We love the dry mushroom recipes as they are simple to prepare and taste great since they are cooked in their own moisture without the addition of water. These garlic mushrooms also go good in the lunch box to office or school.
Mushrooms are used in Indian cuisine to make mushroom biryani, mushroom masala & some starters. Sometime ago we were feeling too bored with the same kind of mushroom dishes I was preparing. Then I came up with this recipe instantly which was loved by everyone at home.
Since then it has been a favorite at home. You can also serve these Indian style garlic mushrooms with plain rice. Just cook the basmati rice grainy and serve this as a side with lots of fresh sliced onions, cucumbers & lemon.
This recipe is roughly adapted from this Garlic chicken. The recipe requires making a quick garlic sauce and then sautéing the mushrooms in it.
Tips to make garlic mushrooms
- I have made the entire recipe just using mushrooms. You can also use veggies like potatoes & bell pepper.
- You can make the garlic sauce ahead of time and refrigerate. Use it to whenever needed.
- I have used button mushrooms you can use any other you like.
- You can also use the whole mushrooms without slicing. Just increase the cook time a bit.
- You can also grill the mushrooms in the oven first and then add them to the hot garlic sauce. Saute just for a minute.
- This recipe is kids’ friendly too, just adjust the red chilies.
- I have used red chilies to make the garlic paste. If you do not have them simply replace with red chilli powder.
- You can also use some naturally brewed soya sauce if you like. I try to limit the consumption of soy in our food so I have not used. But the taste of these garlic mushrooms is great even without the soya sauce.
- If you like crisp fried mushrooms, then dip the mushrooms in all-purpose flour batter and deep fry until crisp. Then add it to the garlic sauce. For details you can also check this Mushroom Manchurian.
Garlic mushroom recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1½ cup mushrooms chopped or sliced
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin or jeera or 1 strand of mace / javitri
- 1 to 2 tablespoon oil (prefer olive oil or butte)
For the garlic sauce or paste
- 5 large garlic cloves or minced(if using small, use more)
- 5 dried red chilies or chilli powder as needed (less spicy variety)
- ¾ tablespoon Vinegar (apple cider vinegar or lemon juice)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar (prefer organic) or jaggery
- salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder optional (less spicy one for color)
- 1 small Onion rings or slices
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
How to make the recipe
Preparation for Indian garlic mushrooms
- Add garlic, red chilies, vinegar, sugar, salt , red chilli powder (optional) to a blender jar. Add 1 to 2 tbsps water.
- Cover and blend well to make a paste. You can also skip blending and mix up red chili powder, minced garlic and rest of the ingredients with water as needed. Set aside.
How to make garlic mushrooms
- Heat a pan with oil. When the oil is hot enough, add mace or cumin.
- Wait for 30 seconds, add onions and saute until golden. While the onions fry, rinse & slice the mushrooms.
- Add in the garlic sauce and saute for 2 to 3 mins without burning.
- Make sure the raw smell of garlic has gone and the mixture turns aromatic.
- Next add the sliced mushrooms and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Cover and cook on a medium to low heat until the mushrooms are cooked to your liking.
- Transfer garlic mushrooms to a serving plate and garnish with coriander leaves and onions.
- Garlic mushrooms can be served as a side with basmati rice or as a stuffing in a sandwich or wrap.
- You can also toss some rice, noodles or spaghetti in the same pan.
Less spicy variety of chilies are preferred for this recipe otherwise the dish turns out too spicy.
Preparation for garlic mushroom recipe
1. Add red chilies, garlic, salt, sugar, vinegar or lemon juice to a blender jar. You may deseed the red chilies, but we love the half crushed seeds in this, so I did not deseed them. For a cut short method, you can also skip blending and make a paste using chili powder, garlic mince and the rest of the ingredients with water as needed.
2. Blend them together with just 1 to 2 tbsps water. You must get a slightly coarse thick paste. You can also add little chilli powder for color, i used about ¼ tsp.
How to make garlic mushroom
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add a single strand of mace or half tsp cumin. Saute for 30 seconds. Add finely chopped onions. Saute until they turn lightly golden. While the onions fry, you can wash and chop or slice the mushrooms.
4. Then add the garlic paste.
5. Saute very well on a low to medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure the raw smell of garlic has gone completely.
6. Add chopped mushrooms.
7. Mix well to coat the mushrooms with garlic sauce. Fry for about 3 mins, till you begin to smell the mushrooms good.
8. Cover and cook until the mushrooms are done to your liking. Do not over cook as the texture of mushrooms change & will turn soggy.
9. You can add few coriander leaves. You can also add in some cooked noodles or al dente cooked rice and saute for few minutes.
Serve as a starter or with bread, roti or plain rice.