Matar Mushroom is a one pot curried side dish made with mushrooms, green peas, onions, tomatoes, spices and herbs. This flavorsome and delicious curry gets done under 30 minutes and makes for a great weeknight dinner option. Serve it with plain rice, flavored rice, Chapati, Plain Paratha, roti or with your favorite bread. This Matar Mushroom is warming, tasty and uses simple pantry staples. Like many other Indian veggie dishes this Mutter Mushroom can be made to a semi-dry dish or to a gravy that has more sauce.
‘Matar’ also spelled as ‘Mutter’ is a Hindi word for green peas. So Matar Mushroom literally translates to peas mushroom. As the name says, these 2 ingredients are the star of this dish. The sweet aroma of green peas perfectly compliment the earthy flavor of mushrooms, making this curry the best! Matar and mushrooms simmered with onions, tomatoes and lots of spices is what this dish is about.
If you love cooking simple dishes then you will most likely make this often just like the way I do. If you have the rotis or rice ready, you won’t require more than 30 minutes for this healthy and delicious meal. This curry also goes well in office and school lunch boxes.
This matar mushroom is made the same way like any other Indian curry. First a base of onion and tomato masala is made and then mushrooms are sautéed to bring out the aroma. Later peas and mushrooms are simmered on a low heat so the mushrooms absorb all of the flavors from the spices.
In this post I have shown a semi-dry curry because that’s what we eat most often. No blending, no cream, no coconut milk is what our everyday homemade Indian foods are. A typical regular home cooked Indian meal is simple and we don’t blend the ingredients every time to make the gravy nor do we add cream and coconut milk to every curry.
So our homemade Indian foods are not creamy with loaded fats like what you get to see in the restaurants. This matar mushroom is a typical dish from the Indian households. If you love to make a gravy version of this, follow my pro tips section below.
For more Mushroom recipes You may check
Mushroom pepper fry
Simple Mushroom Stir Fry
How to Make Matar Mushroom (Stepwise photos)
Make Onion Tomato Masala
1. Pour 1½ tablespoon oil to a hot pan. Once the oil turns hot, add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
2. Soon the cumin seeds will sizzle and splutter, then add ¾ to 1 cup fine chopped onions. On a medium heat, fry the onions stirring often until golden.
3. Reduce the heat. Next add 1 teaspoon garlic ginger paste.
4. Fry until the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
5. Add ¾ cup chopped tomatoes (or tomato puree) and sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt. On a medium flame fry until the tomatoes turn mushy. While the tomatoes cook, wash and chop the mushrooms. Slice them and halve if they are large.
6. Add ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder,1/8 teaspoon turmeric, ¾ teaspoon garam masala or meat masala and ¾ teaspoon coriander powder.
7. Saute onion tomato masala until you see traces of oil separate from the mixture.
Make Matar Mushroom
8. Add ½ to ¾ cup peas and 200 grams mushrooms. I forgot to add turmeric at the earlier step so I used it here.
9. Saute on a medium flame for 4 to 5 mins, until you begin to smell the mushrooms.
10. Cover and cook on a low flame until the mushrooms are done to your liking. I generally cook until they are tender but not mushy and soggy.
11. After a few minutes, mushrooms let out some moisture.
12. Stir well and saute for a minute on a slightly high heat. Taste test and adjust salt at this stage. If you prefer you may also add 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi at this stage, before turning off the heat. Add chopped coriander leaves & ginger juliennes if you like.
Enjoy matar mushroom with rice or roti.
- Creamy curry: Blend the onion tomato masala to a smooth paste. Simmer it with ¾ to 1 cup water until thick. Meanwhile saute the mushrooms separately in a pan for 4 to 5 mins and then add them to the slightly thick curry along with peas. Cook until the curry becomes thick. Take care not to overcook the mushrooms. Lastly pour ¼ to ½ cup thick coconut milk or cream.
- Cashew nuts: You can also add some cashewnuts or almond meal while you blend the onion tomato masala. The nuts will provide a thick and creamy texture to your curry so you may skip the coconut milk and cream in this gravy version.
- Peas: I prefer to use the frozen peas. You may also use the fresh peas from the pods. If they are not tender, boil them separately in water and use in the recipe.
- Tomatoes: I have used fresh tomatoes here. Feel free to replace it with half cup of bottled tomato puree.
Matar Mushroom | Mutter Mushroom
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1½ tablespoon oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¾ to 1 cup onions finely chopped (about 2 medium)
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ¾ cup tomatoes – deseeded & chopped or pureed
- ¼ tsp salt or as needed
- ½ to ¾ cup green peas (frozen or boiled fresh peas)
- 200 grams mushrooms (about 1½ to 2 cups sliced, button or cremini)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon garam masala (use more if desired)
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped finely or 1 teaspoon Kasuri methi
- Wash and chop onions, green chilies and set aside. Deseed and chop tomatoes or puree them.
- Rinse the mushrooms and set aside. Slice them when you are just about to add them to the pan.
How to make Matar Mushroom
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and allow to splutter.
- Fry onions and chili until golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw flavors go away.
- Next put in the tomatoes with salt and fry until mushy.
- Add garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric and chili powder. Saute until aromatic and thick. (To make a gravy dish with more sauce, read my notes below from the recipe notes)
- Then add peas and mushrooms. Fry for 4 to 5 mins on a medium heat.
- Cover and cook on a low flame until the mushrooms are tender but not mushy and soggy. Keep stirring in between.
- As the mushrooms cook, they release moisture. When the mushrooms are tender, open the lid and mix well. Saute on a slightly high heat for a minute.
- Taste and add more salt if needed. If you prefer you may add crushed kasuri methi (optional).
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve matar mushroom with rice or chapathi or with toasted bread.
- To make Matar Mushroom Gravy: Blend the onion tomato masala to a smooth paste. Simmer it with ¾ to 1 cup water until thick. Meanwhile saute the mushrooms separately in a pan for 4 to 5 mins and then add them to the slightly thick curry along with peas. Cook until the curry becomes thick. Take care not to overcook the mushrooms. Lastly pour ¼ to ½ cup thick coconut milk or cream.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
This post was first published in December 2015. Updated and republished in December 2022.
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
This is so delicious! Now I’m can e one of my favorite restaurant meals at home. I appreciate the instructions with clear steps, the other and timing of seasonings matters and this is just perfect.
Glad you like it Angela. Thank you
Swasthi, I really appreciate the descriptions you give of the various spices – so eye-opening! I had 2 questions about this recipe, which I made tonight (after going to a wonderful local spice shop to get all fresh spices!) It was very tasty, but one ingredient listed (3/4 to 1 tsp coriander powder) wasn’t mentioned in the actual instructions. When should it have been put in, or was that a typo? (I left it out, as there was gr. coriander in the garam masala recipe.) Also, we’d always enjoyed this dish at our local Indian restaurant, but it had more sauce than this recipe made. What would you suggest as a way to make it more “gravy-like?” Thank you – I’m so glad to have found your blog!
Thanks for trying. I missed including the coriander powder & I updated it now. Just like you said it is already included in the garam masala but this extra powder sometimes help to balance out the stronger flavors of garam masala. There is a paragraph to make a creamy curry under the pro tips section in the post. Please check that.
Thank you! Sorry I missed that “pro tip!”
This recipe is a keeper. So fast and easy. Came out delicious.
Thank you Deepti
So delicious! Thank you for sharing your healthy and easy recipes! 💜
Glad to know Vanessa. Thank you
Thank you Marco
I always follow ur recipes. They r the best
Thank you so much Tejveen
I am not a fan of mushrooms, but after trying out this recipe, I really like mushrooms. Thank you.
Glad to know Upasana
Fantastic dish! My wife and I loved it, we kept the chili ? down figuring we can always add fresh chili as a garnish.
Thank you so much!
Hi Simon Hiscock,
Glad you both loved it! Thank you
i made this for my mom. She was proud of me but it was extremely spicy!!!
Glad to know!. You can reduce the chilli powder to make it less spicy.
Amazing and best recipe for a beginner in Indian cooking…being me.
The matar mushroom turned out to be very tasty. My son too loved it. Thanks a lot for such an easy, quick and tasty recipe ?.
Glad to know you liked it. Thanks for trying
I made this last week, it was very delicious, and spicy!! A big thumbs up from my husband too! Thanks for sharing!! 🙂
Swasthi maam..today fr lunch i preprd mushroom in this way…was great maam…
So nice to hear from you. Hope your little one is doing good. Glad to know mushroom curry turned out great. Thanks for the feedback
My expectations & searching menus I got this website thanks a lot
Excellent ..Keep going swathi…
Thanks for shearing this website
Dear swasthi. All ur recipes r so easy to make..really love to try out all ur recipes ..cooking made really easy by u
Thank you so much! Hope you enjoy the food!