Matar mushroom is a Indian curry made with green peas, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes & spices. In India cuisine, we make a lot of dishes with green peas especially during the winters when fresh peas are in season. Matar mushroom is one of those common dishes served not only in Indian restaurants but is also made in many homes.
There are 2 ways to make matar mushroom. It can be made to a gravy or sabzi (dry curry). To make matar mushroom gravy, you can just follow this recipe of Matar paneer. Add the mushrooms along with the peas and saute for 3 to 4 mins.
In this recipe, mushrooms are slowed cooked in their own moisture hence the curry tastes very delicious & aromatic. This easy and quick matar mushroom can be made just under 20 mins.
How to make
1. Pour oil to a hot pan. Saute cumin in hot oil for a minute.
2. Add onions and fry until golden.
3. Next add garlic ginger paste.
4. Fry until the raw smell goes away.
5. Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt. On a medium flame fry until the tomatoes turn mushy. While the tomatoes cook, wash and cut mushrooms. Slice them and halve if they are large.
6. Sprinkle red chili powder and garam masala or meat masala.
7. Saute together until the mixture begins to leave oil.
Making matar mushroom
8. Add peas, mushrooms and turmeric.
9. Saute on a medium flame for 4 to 5 mins.
10. Cover and cook on a low flame.
11. After a while mushrooms leave some moisture.
12. Stir and cook further until done. Add chopped coriander leaves & grated ginger if you like.
Enjoy matar mushroom with rice or roti.
Matar mushroom recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1½ tbsp oil or ghee
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ¾ to 1 cup onions finely chopped (about 2 medium)
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¾ cup tomatoes – deseeded & chopped or pureed
- ¼ tsp Salt or as needed
- ½ to ¾ cup green peas (frozen or boiled mutter)
- 180 to 200 grams mushrooms (about 1½ cups sliced)
- ¾ tsp garam masala (use more if desired)
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric or haldi
- ¾ tsp coriander powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped finely
Preparation for matar mushroom
- Wash and chop onions, green chilies and set aside. Deseed and chop tomatoes or puree them.
- Rinse the mushrooms and set aside. Slice them when you are just about to add them to the pan.
Making matar mushroom
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and allow to splutter.
- Fry onions and chili until golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw flavors go away.
- Next put in the tomatoes with salt and fry until mushy.
- Add garam masala and chili powder. Saute until the mix leaves the sides.
- Then add peas and mushrooms along with a dash of turmeric. Fry for 4 to 5 mins on a medium heat.
- Cover and cook on a low flame until done. Stir in between if needed.
- When the mushrooms wilt, taste and add more salt if needed. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve matar mushroom with rice or chapathi.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes