Oats laddu recipe – Oats ladoo is one of the easy Indian sweets recipes that I love to prepare at home often. It can be prepared with sugar or jaggery and not much of ghee is needed and it is optional. They are non-sticky while you hold on and slightly chewy and taste good. They can be made absolutely fat free or vegan by eliminating the ghee. I had posted an oats burfi recipe last Diwali, so this time thought of sharing this laddu recipe too.
This recipe is a no fail one and needs no string consistency, while the burfi can become powdery or may not set well, if one goes wrong with the string consistency. Do try this healthy Easy Diwali Sweet Recipe. I have used organic brown sugar cubes this time; you can use white sugar or brown sugar or even jaggery.
Oats laddu or oats ladoo recipe below
Oats laddu recipe | Oats ladoo recipe with jaggery | Healthy sweet recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup jaggery or 200 grams grated or sugar (can reduce a bit)
- 1 cup rolled oats or 100 grams
- 1 cup coconut heaped or 150 grams grated fresh or frozen coconut
- ¼ tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ghee /coconut oil / vegetable oil or butter +for greasing the palms
- Ghee roasted Nuts and raisins as needed
How to make the recipe
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and dry roast oats till they smell good. Cool this completely, powder in a dry blender to suit your taste coarsely or finely and keep aside.
- To the same pan, add jaggery, water and coconut. Stir and cook till the jaggery or sugar melts off. Add cardamom powder, cook stirring constantly, till you see strings in the mixture.
- Time to add the powdered oats. Stir well. Switch off the stove. Stir in the ghee, nuts and raisins.
- Let the temperature come down, roll small portions to balls with greased palms.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
Oats laddu with step by step pictures
1. Dry roast oats in a heavy bottom pan till you get a nice aroma. Do not discolor them. Set this aside to cool
2. Powder this coarsely in a mixer. Set aside.
3. Add 1 tbsp. water, coconut and sugar, mix and begin to cook.
4. After a while, the coconut will begin to release moisture. Add green cardamom powder.
5. Continue to cook till all the water evaporates. You can even see tiny sugar strings in the mix.
6. Add the oats powder, mix well and off the heat. Do not continue to cook else the mix will become dry and may not bind together to make balls.
7. Add the raisins, nuts and ghee. Mix well.
8. Transfer this to a plate and let it cool for around 5 mins, grease your palms and take small portions of this mix and roll to balls