pala undrallu or payasam undrallu also called as undralla payasam is another sweet dish that is prepared as naivedyam to Lord Ganesha during vinayaka chavithi or sankashti. Rice balls or undrallu are prepared and boiled in milk to make payasam. Sugar or jaggery syrup can be used as a sweetener. You can find here more vinayaka chavithi recipes.
pala undrallu tastes like the paala thalikalu and is a good substitute to making thalikalu as there are no chances of these breaking up like the thalikalu.
If you prefer to use jaggery syrup, make sure to cool it completely before adding to the payasam else it can curdle. To prepare the jaggery syrup, just add little water to grated jaggery , melt it and filter to remove the impurities. Let it boil till it thickens. Set aside to cool and then proceed to prepare the payasam.
To make these pala undrallu I have used store bought flour, if you are particular about making the flour at home, you can make it one day ahead. Soak the rice overnight otherwise the balls may turn hard. Drain and dry rice thoroughly. Powder it in the mixer and sieve it. Collect the fine flour and use for making this dish. Some use coconut or nut paste to thicken the payasam, but that doesn’t yield a smooth and creamy payasam, so we use rice flour to thicken which gives the taste of traditional payasam and it is also very creamy and smooth.
step by step photos on pala undrallu
1. Add 1 1/4 cup water and oil to a pot and bring it to a boil. Set aside 1/4 cup.
2. Add the rice flour and stir.
3. The dough will be crumbly. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes. If the flour is too dry, use up some water as needed that was set aside.
4. Knead it to a smooth dough.
5. Take small portions of the dough. Grease your fingers and shape to balls.
6. Steam them in cooker or steamer for 5 minutes. If the balls are not steamed they may remain hard in the payasam.
7. Bring milk to a boil, add sagubiyyam.
8. When they are cooked fully and transparent, add sugar and stir. If using jaggery instead of sugar, melt jaggery in water in a different pot. Filter it and cook until thickened. Set aside to cool. do not add it now.
9. Add steamed balls and cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
10. Add cardamom powder. Mix 2.5 tsps rice flour with 3 to 4 tbsp. water and stir in to the payasam.
11. Cook until it thickens or for 3 to 4 minutes. If using jaggery syrup instead of sugar, cool it completely and add now and stir.
Cool the payasam and offer to God.
pala undrallu recipe or undralla payasam
pala undrallu recipe | undralla payasam recipe | payasam undrallu
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
for making undrallu
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 ¼ cup water
- oil , Few drops
for making undralla payasam
- 2.5 cups milk
- 100 to 120 ml sugar
- 1/8 tsp green cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp Sagubiyyam (sago, sabudana) (optional)
- 2.5 tbsp Rice flour
- 3 to 4 tbsp Water to mix the rice flour
How to make the recipe
- Add oil and Bring 1 ¼ cup of water to boil, set aside ¼ cup in a bowl.
- Add the rice flour and mix to get a ball. If needed use up ¼ cup of water that is set aside.
- When the temp slightly comes down, smear oil over your palms and knead it to a smooth dough.
- Make small balls, as small as the size of a grape. Smear oil over your palms and roll your palms over these balls to grease them. Cover and set them aside till you steam.
- Steam them for 5 minutes on medium high flame in a idli steamer or pressure cooker without weight.
- Bring milk to a boil, add sago and cook till it turn translucent or fully cooked.
- Add sugar and stir till it melts. If using jaggery syrup don’t add it now.
- Add the balls and let them cook on a medium flame for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder. While the payasam boils, mix 2.5 tbsps. rice flour with 3 tbsps. Water.
- Pour this in the payasam and cook on a low to medium flame till it thickens. Usually takes around 3 to 4 mins. Switch off the stove. If using jaggery syrup add it now and stir well.
- Cool it completely and offer to the Lord.