Paneer jalfrezi recipe with step by step photos – I had made chicken Jalfrezi from a cookbook few times before and my people loved it. I wanted to share a vegetarian version made using paneer since jalfrezi recipes are fairly easy and taste good. Chicken jalfrezi is very popular in UK and there is also a vegetarian version made with mixed vegetables. This recipe is almost the same just with an addition of paneer to it, thus the name paneer jalfrezi.
It pairs well with plain basmati rice, jeera rice, roti, naan or can be used to make kathi rolls. It is kids’ friendly too, just reduce the chilli powder. To make this recipe you can also use cubed paneer.
Paneer jalfrezi recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 ¼ cup tomatoes or ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp. puree
- 1 cup onions , thinly sliced (2 medium onions)
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup capsicum or bell peppers cubed or sliced
- ¼ cup tomatoes , thinly sliced , deseeded (optional)
- 250 to 300 grams paneer or 11 oz , (replace with mix veggies to make veg jalfrezi)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 to 1 ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 tsp salt or as needed
- ¼ to ½ tsp dried fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi crushed
How to make the recipe
- Chop the veggies. If using store bought paneer, soak it in hot water for 20 mins. Cube or cut to finger length pieces. Set aside. Puree tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute cumin until they crackle. Saute onions & chilli until onions turn transparent. Then add ginger garlic paste & fry for 2 mins to remove the raw smell.
- Then pour tomato puree and fry until it thickens a bit. Add chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric and salt. Saute until the raw smell of tomatoes vanishes.
- Add the bell peppers & fry until slightly tender. Next add in paneer and kasuri methi. Gently stir in to coat the paneer with the spice paste. Cover and cook on a low heat just for 2 mins. Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve paneer jalfrezi with rice or roti.
How to make paneer jalfrezi
1. Wash and chop tomatoes. Add them to a blender and make a smooth puree.
2. Set aside tomato puree, capsicum / bell peppers cubed or sliced, ginger garlic paste, thinly sliced onions along with slit and deseeded green chili. If using store bought paneer, soak it in hot water for 20 mins. Remove and cut to desired size.
3. Add oil to a hot pan. Saute cumin in hot oil until they begin to splutter.
4. Add chilli and onions. Fry until transparent just for a while.
5. Add ginger garlic paste. Freshly ground paste works better.
6. Fry until the raw smell goes off.
7. Add tomato puree and cook for a while.
8. Add salt, turmeric, spice powders and stir. I added a bit of coriander powder since my garam masala was very strong.
9. Cook until the raw smell of tomatoes goes away.
10. Add bell peppers and if desired few thinly sliced tomatoes.
11. Stir and cook until the peppers are half done.
12. Add paneer and crushed kasuri methi. Mix everything gently to coat the masala well over paneer. Be gentle else paneer may break. Cook for just 3 to 4 minutes.
13. Adjust salt now. Stir. Add chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with naan, roti or plain basmathi rice.