Pista ice cream recipe with & without Ice cream maker – Sharing a easy eggless pistachio Ice cream recipe. I had a reader’s request for a Falooda and kulfi recipe. I did make Vanilla Ice cream several times in the past months. But it didn’t even last more than a day. This time I made this pista ice cream to top the falooda. It’s holiday time and my kids didn’t spare this one too as it was extremely delicious.
Pistachio ice cream is a popular ice cream variety made with pistachios, cream & sugar. Most often edible green food color is added to it to make it more appealing.
There are 2 ways a pistachio ice cream can be made. First method is made using ground pistachios and the second method is to make a simple ice cream and then just add the chopped nuts towards the end or during the freezing.
I am sharing both the methods here.
Preparation for Pistachio ice cream
1. For this recipe we need a base vanilla ice cream which can be made with or without a icecream maker. I have made this using a kitchen aid icecream attachment. To make one without the Icecream maker, follow this Vanilla Ice cream recipe which i shared earlier and follow from step 9.
2. Chop pistas finely. You can also use a nut chopper. I have used half cup (heaped) pistas for this recipe, which went very well for our taste. You can reduce 1 to 2 tbsp if you do not like them much. Freeze your icecream bowl for at least 20 to 24 hours. Also chill milk and cream.
3. Add sugar to a bowl. I used 3/4 cup organic turbinado sugar, so my icecream turned a bit pale. You can also reduce 2 tbsp.
4. Add 1 cup milk and 1.5 tsp vanilla extract.
5. Whisk them very well until the sugar dissolves completely.
6. Add 2 cups cream and whisk well. What you see is just one cup, I added one more while churning since i forgot to add now. If you do not like to use raw milk and cream, then heat them up until they turn warm. Cool and chill them for few hours.
How to make pistachio ice cream
7. Fix your bowl and start the machine. Pour the mixture.
8. Churn for 15 to 20 mins. You will see this soft set ice cream.
9. Add in the pistachios and gently mix. If you have made one without a Ice cream maker, then just follow from this step.
10. Transfer this to a freezer safe bowl and freeze for at least 6 to 8 hours.
11. I was left with a bit more which i transfered to tiny stainless steel cups and put a stick. Covered with foil and allowed them to set. Just before serving, immerse the cups in a bowl filled with water. Gently remove them. You can also use a knife to loosen the Popsicle.
Scoop and serve pista ice cream with your favorite garnishing.
Pistachio Ice Cream | Pista Ice Cream
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup unsalted pistachios heaped
- 1 cup full fat milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup sugar organic
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract or few drops of pistachio essence
- If you do not have a icecream maker, please follow this ice cream recipe without maker.
- Chop pistachios finely and set aside some for garnishing.
- Freeze the icecream maker bowl as per the manufacturers instructions, usually for 24 hours or so.
- Whisk together milk, vanilla and sugar to dissolve the sugar completely. Pour cream and mix well. This has to be very cold otherwise chill this well for 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Start the machine and pour the mixture slowly into the churner. Churn for 15 to 20 mins, until thick. The timings may vary depending on the temperature and your ice cream machine.
- If using a kitchenaid ice cream attachment it makes a click noise when the ice cream is thick and perfectly done. You are going to stop at this stage. It is soft set & is eatable.
How to Make Pistachio Ice Cream
- Once the ice cream is ready add the chopped nuts. Fold gently to incorporate the nuts into the ice cream. Do not churn after adding nuts, they will get stuck at the bottom.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container. Place a parchment paper over the ice cream and press down so there is no air in between the parchment and the ice cream. Cover and freeze until firm set or for 6 to 8 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, take the container out of the freezer and leave it at room temperature for 5 mins. Scoop and serve pista ice cream. Garnish with your favorite toppings or with the pistachios we set aside.
Method 2 – Pista Ice Cream with Ground Pistachios
- Soak ¼ cup pistachios in half cup milk for about 1 to 2 hours so they soften. Chop the rest of the pistas & set aside.
- Blend the soaked nuts well in a blender/ grinder, adding milk only as needed to make a very smooth & thick paste. It should be of peanut butter consistency and not too thick.
- Scrape the sides and grind. It should have a smooth paste/butter like consistency as we don't want grits in the pista ice cream.
- Transfer this pistachio paste to the rest of the milk, cream and sugar. Whisk until the sugar dissolves completely. If your pistachio is not smooth, simply strain the mixture before you make the ice cream as we don't want grits.
- Pour the chilled mixture in your ice cream churner following the manufacturers instructions. It takes about 15 to 20 mins depending on your ice cream maker.
- Gently fold the rest of the chopped pistas into the ice cream without deflating. Transfer this to a freezer safe bowl and freeze until pista ice cream is set.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes