Mango ice cream recipe without an ice cream maker. There are many ways a mango ice cream is made. Over the years I have tried a few recipes and loved 2 simple methods of making this. In this post I have shared not one but 2 recipes which will give you delicious and creamy mango ice cream.
The first one needs a hand mixer and the second one needs only a blender. Texture wise both are different and taste good. These 2 recipes are perfect even for those who don’t have whipping cream as even regular cream with 25% fats work here. Here are my tips:
How to make mango ice cream recipe – step by step photos
1. Wash and cube mango to pieces. I used about 1 and a half cups mango cubes. Add them to a blender jar.
2. Add sugar. Make a fine puree. Use sugar as needed depending on the sweetness of the fruit used.
3. The pulp turns thick and may also gets jammed in the blender since there is no water or juice added. Give a quick stir with a spoon. Set this aside.
4. Pour the cream to a bowl. I have not chilled the bowl and beaters as it is not very hot in the place where I live. If you are making this when the temperature is high, then it is good to use a chilled bowl and beaters.
5. Whip the cream until peaks. If you are using low fat cream then you may get soft peaks.
6. Do not over whip the cream, it tastes like butter after the ice cream is set.
mixing mango puree to make mango ice cream
7. Pour the mango puree.
8. Gently fold the mango puree with whipped cream. It should not be mixed vigorously otherwise the cream gets deflated and the ice cream may not turn light. Keep folding until the mango cream turns creamy and smooth.
9. Transfer to a freezer safe jar. Cover and freeze it until set. It may take about 8 to 12 hours to set depending on the fridge. You can also pour this to steel cups and insert a ice cream stick.
10. Scoop it to a serving bowl.
11. If the ice cream is too hard, then dip the scooper in hot water and scoop.
Garnish with sliced pistachios or cherries. Serve with your favorite toppings
1. Mangoes: Choose the best quality ripe mangoes that do not taste sour as this helps to minimize the quantity of sugar. Sour mangoes will need more sweetener and the taste of the mango ice cream will be different if made with sour mangoes.
For a nice yellow color in your ice cream use mangoes that have deep yellow colored flesh. Alphonso, Banginapalli are some of the popular varieties. If fresh mangoes are not available you may try with bottles mango puree or canned mangoes. Ensure they are tasting sweet and good.
2. Cream: Whipping cream gives the best results to make an ice cream. If you do not have whipping cream, then you can also use cream with 25% fats. Chill it in the fridge overnight and scoop the top thick portions and use it to whip the cream. Discard the runny liquid part at the bottom.
3. Sweetener: The first recipe uses sugar and the second recipe uses condensed milk. However you can use one for the other in both the recipes.
4. Blender Vs mixer: The first recipe uses mixer as it needs whipping the cream. The second recipe is made in a blender. However the first recipe can also be made in a blender but you need to be extremely careful while blending the whipping cream. If you overblend the cream, it turns to butter.
How to make this vegan
I have made this earlier with coconut cream (not coconut milk). You can refrigerate the coconut cream overnight. In the morning scoop the top portion. You will be left with a small quantity of liquid at the bottom. Just discard that.
Whip the coconut cream the same way as you would whip the regular dairy cream. You won’t get stiff peaks. When you see the soft peaks, add the mango puree and give a gentle mix.
Mango ice cream recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup chilled cream (25% to 30% fat) (fresh cream, whipping cream or coconut cream)(or 250 ml)
- 250 grams mango cubes or 1 large (about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups puree)
- ¼ to ½ cup sugar organic or palm sugar (about 50 grams)
- 2 tbsp Cherries (chopped) (or use whole)
- 1 tbsp pistas (chopped)
Recipe 1 – mango ice cream with hand mixer
- Chill the bowl, beater and the cream for few hours.
- Add mango and sugar to a blender. Make a smooth puree.
- Add the cream to the chilled bowl and whip until peaks using a stand or hand mixer.
- Pour the mango puree to the whipped cream. Gently fold in to avoid streaks. Do not stir or mix this vigorously, this deflates the whipped cream.
- Pour this to a freezer safe bowl. Cover and freeze until set.
- Scoop and serve mango ice cream with in 2 days to avoid ice crystals.
Recipe 2- Using blender no hand mixer needed, no churn
- We need only 250 grams mango puree, 100 ml of fresh cream, Half can of condensed milk (about 150 grams).
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender.
- Pour the mix to a freezer safe container. Freeze until set for overnight. Scoop and serve mango ice cream when set.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes