Pizza paratha also known as roti pizza is made with Indian whole wheat flatbreads – roti, pizza sauce, cheese and herbs. I have made pizza paratha a few times before and one of the methods shared here has been liked by my kids a lot. There are a few different ways to make roti pizza. The easiest to make is just to smear some sauce over the cooked rotis and add cheese. Pop them in the oven until the cheese melts.
But those are way too thin to hold the cheese and the topping so I make them the way I have shown in this post. So how is this different? This is a Paratha recipe with stuffed pizza sauce & veggies, topped with cheese. This is on the heavier side and ideal to serve for a meal.
Just like the way a pizza is served hot, this paratha too is best served hot. You can also accompany this with some light soup. I mostly make Sweet corn soup or vegetable pasta soup to go with these pizza parathas.
You don’t need any chutney or pickle with this paratha if you use a really good pizza sauce. I use this homemade pizza sauce which is very flavorful and lightly spicy.
The taste and flavor of this pizza paratha comes out very very good only by using a good pizza sauce. You can also make the sauce ahead and refrigerate it for about 2 to 3 weeks. However you can also use store bought sauce for convenience.
I have toasted the pizza paratha on the tawa but you can also put it in a preheated oven for 2 to 3 minutes towards the end to brown the cheese slightly. I have used mozzarella cheese, you can also use four cheese or pizza cheese, grated, cubed or slices as desired.
How to make pizza paratha
1. Add wheat flour and salt to a mixing bowl. Pour water little by little and begin to make a dough.
2. Pour ½ tbsp oil and knead until the dough becomes soft and pliable. You can also skip the oil. Cover this & keep aside the veggies and pizza sauce is ready. To make the sauce at home refer the link mentioned in the intro of this post.
3. Divide the dough to 6 equal parts. Sprinkle some flour on the rolling area. Flatten a ball and dust some flour on both the sides.
Method 1 – Roti pizza
4. Roll it to a round or square shaped roti. Do not make too thick or too thin. Make 2 rotis of the same size and set aside.
5. Spread 1 tbsp pizza sauce on one of the roti. Do not apply to the edges. Layer onion, capsicums and olives.
6. Place another roti over the first one. Seal the edges gently to safe the stuffing.
7. Heat a tawa until hot. Gently place the paratha over the pan.
8. Flip and cook on both the sides until golden brown spots appear. Make sure the edges are cooked well.
9. Flip the paratha and sprinkle grated cheese on the hot paratha. Make sure to put the cheese on the hot side of the paratha. Sprinkle red chilli flakes and Italian herbs. Leave the paratha on a low flame till the cheese melts. Make sure the bottom doesn’t get burnt. At this stage you can skip cooking on the tawa. Just put the paratha on a wire rack in the preheated oven or microwave until the cheese melts.
Slice the pizza paratha and serve hot.
Method – 2 pizza paratha
1. Roll the paratha slightly thick, slightly thicker than roti. Spread sauce only on one half of the paratha, then sprinkle capsicum and onions over it.
2. Spread grated cheese and then red chilies flakes, Italian herbs.
3. Cover the other half and seal the edges.
4. Toast the pizza paratha on a hot tawa on both sides. Add little ghee or oil. Make sure the edges are cooked well.
Serve pizza paratha hot.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ¾ cup wheat flour / atta
- Water as needed
- Salt as needed (use very little)
- 1 to 2 tbsp Oil or as needed
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese grated or use as needed
- ½ to 1 tbsp Italian herbs or coriander leaves
- ¾ to 1 tbsp red chilli flakes (use as desired)
- 2 to 3 tbsp pizza sauce (use thick sauce)
- 1 onion medium , chopped
- ½ cup capsicum chopped
- Olives Sliced (optional)
- Add atta and salt to a mixing bowl. Pour water little by little and begin to make a dough.
- Add ½ tbsp of oil and knead until the dough becomes soft and pliable.
- Cover & Set this aside till you chop the veggies and get the pizza sauce ready. If you intend to make the sauce at home, do refer to the link mentioned in the intro of this post.
- Dust some flour on the rolling board.
- Divide the dough to 6 equal parts. Flatten a ball and dust some flour on both the sides.
- Begin to roll to a round or square shaped roti. Do not make too thick or too thin. Make the rotis and set aside.
- Then spread 1 tbsp pizza sauce on the roti. Layer onion, capsicums and olives.
- Place another roti over the first one. Seal the edges gently to safe the stuffing.
- For this recipe you will get about 3 stuffed parathas. Make them and set aside.
- Heat a tawa. When it turns hot, then gently place a paratha on the tawa and cook on both the sides until golden. You will need to toast the edges well to cook them thoroughly.
- When the paratha is done. Flip the paratha and immediately spread grated cheese on the hot paratha.
- Keep cooking on a low to medium heat until the cheese melts. Sprinkle some italian herbs and red chili flakes.
- Cut and serve immediately.
- You can also put it in a preheated oven and bake for 2 mins at 220 C to brown the cheese slightly.
Method 2 in the step by step photos
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes