Bread pizza recipe with stove-top & oven instructions. Bread pizza is a quick Snack recipe made with whole grain bread, tomato pizza sauce, cheese and veggies. This makes a great snack for kids’ parties and most of them will love this. To make it taste very close to the regular real pizza, use a good pizza sauce and choose the toppings that are generally used to make a pizza.
However nothing can replace the taste of a yeast dough pizza base, but this may be a simple alternate when you crave for a pizza.
Bread pizza can be made in a oven or on a stovetop. There is not much difference between the 2 methods. Mozzarella cheese, four cheese, cheddar cheese, feta cheese or pizza cheese can be used for the topping. This time I have used mozzarella. Sometimes I also use a combination of feta cheese & mozzarella.
I have also used sliced olives here. If you do not have, just skip them. In this post I have used homemade pizza sauce (link in recipe card). If you do not have it then you may replace with any tomato sauce.
You can also make a bread pizza sandwich with the same recipe. Just skip toasting the bread, smear the pizza sauce and then top with your favorite ingredients and put in a sandwich maker.
To make in oven
If making in oven prepare a baking tray with a parchment paper or foil. Preheat the oven to 430 F or 220 C for 15 mins. Place the bread slices in the tray.
Spread pizza sauce as much as you desire. Place the veggies of your choice and then layer the cheese. Sprinkle herbs. Keep the tray in a preheated oven in the middle rack. Bake/ grill for 8 mins at 430 F or 220 C.
Adjust the grill time as needed. The veggies get grilled partially and the cheese melts and turns golden. Serve bread pizza hot as a snack or breakfast.
Make bread pizza on tawa
1. Grease a pan lightly with few drops of oil if making on your stovetop.
2. Toast the bread on one side slightly. This is optional but prevents the bread from turning soggy.
3. Flip them to the other side. Turn off the stove and remove them to a tray or board. If you leave them on the pan, they will begin to toast now.
4. Smear pizza sauce as desired. If you do not have pizza sauce, you can make it from this pizza sauce post or use ketchup or any of your favorite sauce.
5. Layer onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and olives as desired.
6. Next spread grated cheese as much as you like. You can use mozzarella cheese or a combination of any 2 or more.
7. Sprinkle herbs and red chili flakes as desired. Place them on the pan.
8. Cover the pan and cook on a low heat until the cheese melts.
9. Make sure you don’t burn the bread at the bottom. Remove it when the cheese melts.
Serve bread pizza hot as a snack. Any soup or pasta also goes well, if serving this for a meal.
Here are some variations I make to these bread pizza
- You can also make a spinach bread pizza. On a medium high flame saute some fine chopped spinach in 1 tsp oil until it wilts. Spread the pizza sauce over the bread and then layer the spinach, followed by cheese.
- You can also make a egg bread pizza. Just stir in an egg with grated cheese and spread it over the bread.
- Grill or fry some chicken until cooked through and place them over the bread. Then layer the cheese.
- Instead of pizza sauce you can also spread pesto.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread
- 1 teaspoon oil for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoon pizza sauce (or tomato sauce) as needed
- ½ to ¾ cup cheese grated (mozzarella or pizza cheese)
- ½ teaspoon Italian herbs or oregano
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 medium onion cubed and layers separated
- ½ cup bell pepper (capsicum) cubed
- 1 small tomato Firm ,deseeded and cubed (optional)
- 10 Olives as desired (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Cube the onions and separate the layers.
- Deseed the tomatoes and bell pepper. Cube them as well.
- Grate the cheese and keep it ready.
Make bread pizza on stove top
- Grease a pan/ griddle with 1 tsp oil. Toast the bread lightly on one side. Switch off the heat.
- Remove the bread to a board or tray, so the crisp side is on top. This step is optional but helps to keep the bread firm.
- Smear pizza sauce thinly as desired.
- Layer onions, bell pepper and tomatoes. Next grate and layer cheese and then the herbs and chili flakes. If you have olives, place them as well.
- Place the bread on the griddle. Cover the pan & begin to toast on a low to medium heat.
- Toast until the cheese melts. Keep checking to avoid burning the bread.
Make bread pizza in oven
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking tray & preheat the oven at 430 F or 220 C.
- Meanwhile , arrange the bread slices on a baking tray.
- Spread pizza sauce over the bread. Layer onions, capsicum and tomatoes. Next grate and layer cheese. Sprinkle herbs and chili flakes. Place olives as well.
- Keep the tray in a preheated oven in the middle rack. Bake/ grill for 8 mins at 430 F or 220 C. Adjust the grill time as needed. The veggies get grilled partially and the cheese melts and turns golden. Serve bread pizza hot as a snack or breakfast.
Video of bread pizza recipe
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.