Make the easiest bread pizza at home under 15 minutes with this easy recipe. Who doesn’t love the gooey cheesy goodness, especially when it’s done in no time! Sure it is a family favorite! Bread pizza makes a great snack, appetizer and even a quick meal option served with a soup or some salad on the side. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy them any time of the day. In this post I share 3 ways to make a bread pizza – in the oven, air fryer and on a griddle.
Plus a bonus, I also share an easy and quick way to make pizza sauce, incase you are running out of it.
About Bread Pizza
Bread pizza is a pizza variety made with bread as the base, replacing the pizza dough. Also known as pizza bread, it is made much the same way as a regular pizza with sauce, cheese and other toppings of choice. Any kind of bread like white bread, sandwich bread, French bread, Italian bread or even buns can be used to make this bread pizza.
Since you don’t need to bake the base, making this is a breeze. Plus you have plenty of topping options similar to your regular pizza.
Mozzarella cheese, four cheese, cheddar cheese, feta cheese or pizza cheese can be used for the topping. This time I have used mozzarella. Sometimes I also use a combination of feta cheese & mozzarella.
I have also used sliced olives here. If you do not have, just skip them. In this post I have used homemade pizza sauce (link in recipe card). If you do not have it then you may replace with any tomato sauce or even a good pesto.
You can also make a bread pizza sandwich with the same recipe. Just skip toasting the bread, apply the pizza sauce and then top with your favorite ingredients and grill it in a sandwich toaster.
How to Make Bread Pizza (Stepwise photos)
Make sauce or skip to use store bought
1.Skip this section if you have already have the sauce. Pour 1 tablespoon oil to a pot or pan and heat it. Add 2 to 3 chopped garlic and saute for 30 to 60 seconds until aromatic. If using onions (optional), add 1 small chopped onion and saute until golden. Next stir in ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes.
2. Saute for 20 seconds.
3. Add 3 medium tomatoes (250 grams) finely chopped or pureed.
4. Stir ¼ teaspoon salt & 1 teaspoon sugar.
5. Cover the pot partially. Cook on a medium flame until most of the moisture in tomatoes evaporates and turns thick.
6. Then add ½ to ¾ teaspoon mixed Italian herbs and ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper.
7. Mix well and taste test. Add more salt and herbs if needed. Turn off when the sauce turns thick. Cool this slightly.
Bake pizza bread in oven
If making in oven prepare a baking tray with a parchment paper or foil. Preheat the oven to 430 F or 220 C for 15 mins. Place the bread slices in the tray.
Spread pizza sauce as much as you desire. Place the veggies of your choice and then layer the cheese. Sprinkle herbs. Keep the tray in a preheated oven in the middle rack. Bake/ grill for 8 mins at 430 F or 220 C.
Adjust the grill time as needed. The veggies get grilled partially and the cheese melts and turns golden. Serve bread pizza hot as a snack or breakfast.
Make bread pizza on griddle
1. Grease a pan lightly with few drops of oil or little butter.
2. Toast the bread slices slightly on one side. This is optional but prevents the bread from getting soggy.
3. Flip them to the other side. Turn off the stove and remove them to a tray or board. If you leave them on the pan, they will begin to toast now.
4. Smear pizza sauce as desired. You can also use ketchup, pesto or any of your favorite sauce. Layer onions, bell peppers, tomatoes and olives as desired.
5. Next spread grated cheese as much as you like. You can use mozzarella cheese or a combination of any 2 or more.
6. Sprinkle herbs and red chili flakes as desired. Place them on the pan.
7. Cover the pan and cook on a low heat until the cheese melts.
8. Make sure you don’t burn the bread at the bottom. Remove it when the cheese melts.
Here are some tried & tested variations
- You can also make a spinach bread pizza. On a medium high flame saute some fine chopped spinach in 1 tsp oil until it wilts. Spread the pizza sauce over the bread and then layer the spinach, followed by cheese.
- You can also make a egg bread pizza. Just stir in an egg with grated cheese and spread it over the bread. You have to bake the pizza bread in the oven and not on the griddle.
- Grill or saute some chicken until cooked through and place them over the bread. Then layer the cheese.
- Instead of pizza sauce you can also spread pesto, tomato ketch or any other hot sauce.
Bread Pizza Recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread
- 1 teaspoon oil for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoon pizza sauce (or tomato sauce) as needed
- ½ to ¾ cup cheese grated (mozzarella or pizza cheese)
- ½ teaspoon Italian herbs or oregano
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 medium onion cubed and layers separated
- ½ cup bell pepper (capsicum) cubed
- 1 small tomato Firm ,deseeded and cubed (optional)
- 10 Olives as desired (optional)
- Cube the onions and separate the layers.
- Deseed the tomatoes and bell pepper. Cube them as well.
- Grate the cheese and keep it ready.
How to make Bread Pizza on Stovetop
- Grease a pan/ griddle with 1 tsp oil. Toast the bread lightly on one side. Switch off the heat.
- Remove the bread to a board or tray, so the crisp side is on top. This step is optional but helps to keep the bread firm.
- Smear pizza sauce thinly as desired.
- Layer onions, bell pepper and tomatoes. Next grate and layer cheese and then the herbs and chili flakes. If you have olives, place them as well.
- Place the bread on the griddle. Cover the pan & begin to toast on a low to medium heat.
- Toast until the cheese melts. Keep checking to avoid burning the bread.
Make bread pizza in oven
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking tray & preheat the oven at 430 F or 220 C.
- Meanwhile , arrange the bread slices on a baking tray.
- Spread pizza sauce over the bread. Layer onions, capsicum and tomatoes. Next grate and layer cheese. Sprinkle herbs and chili flakes. Place olives as well.
- Keep the tray in a preheated oven in the middle rack. Bake/ grill for 8 mins at 430 F or 220 C. Adjust the grill time as needed. The veggies get grilled partially and the cheese melts and turns golden. Serve bread pizza hot as a snack or breakfast.
In the Air fryer
- Smear some sauce over the bread and place it in the air fryer basket. Spread all your topping along with cheese. Air fry at 180 C or 350 F for 5 to 6 mins or until golden and crisp. Without preheating it takes up to 7 to 8 mins.
- 250 grams tomatoes (3 medium) pureed or deseeded & chopped
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes (adjust to taste)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves fine chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper crushed
- 1 tablespoon oil (preferably olive oil)
- 1 small onion (optional, fine chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes