Pasta soup recipe – This comforting & delicious vegetable pasta soup is super quick to make any time. Serve this alongside some toasted garlic bread or a fried egg. I am sure it will be your new family favorite especially for those chilly or monsoon dinners.
This recipe doesn’t really need a lot of ingredients and you can just use your pantry staples. I haven’t made it spicy or hot but feel free to add in lots of ground pepper for that extra heat.
You can experiment with some red chili powder or paprika for a spicier pasta soup.
If making for dinner I usually roast some boiled eggs along with this soup.
You can use vegetables like potato, corn, carrots, beans and peas. I have experimented with other veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, sweet potato, cabbage and cauliflower which did not go well for us. You may experiment with the choice of your veggies.
For this recipe, I have used macaroni. You can use any kind of pasta here – spaghetti, penne, fusilli etc. I make this with macaroni since my younger kid still cannot handle other kinds.
If you have a toddler at home I suggest using elbow pasta or macaroni.
Pasta soup recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped finely
- 1 ½ cups veggies chopped (potatoes, peas, carrots, corn, beans)
- 1 to 2 medium tomato (deseeded & pureed) or lemon juice as needed
- 1 cup pasta – elbow pasta
- 2 cups water ( can add another ½ cup)
- Salt as needed
- ½ tsp Herbs – oregano as needed
- ½ tsp Pepper (adjust to suit kids)
- Any other seasoning as desired
How to make the recipe
How to make pasta soup
- You can also skip this step and cook the pasta along with the veggies. To get rid of the excess starch I have preboiled them first. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain to a colander and rinse them well.
- Heat butter in a pot, saute garlic until you begin to smell the garlic good.
- Saute the veggies for about 2 to 3 mins until you smell them good.
- Add tomato puree and saute on high for 3 to 4 mins. If using lemon juice, skip using tomato.
- Pour water and cook on a low heat until the veggies are soft and tender.
- Add salt and pasta. Adjust water as needed.
- Cook further for 2 to 3mins.
- Add pepper and herbs. Serve pasta soup hot / warm. Add lemon juice just before serving.
- Sprinkle your favorite seasoning if desired.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
1. Pour 6 cups of water to a large pot and bring it to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse them well in a colander.
How to make pasta soup recipe
2. Add butter to a hot pot.
3. Saute garlic until it smells good.
4. Saute the veggies along with garlic for 3 mins. I did not have potatoes so didn’t use, but I suggest using since they help to slightly thicken the soup. You can also use corn.
5. Puree tomatoes and add them to the pot. This step is optional. I used since there was no lemon at home. I usually add lemon juice to the warm soup just before serving.
6. Cook for 3 to 4 mins. I prefer to do this on a high flame until the tomatoes dry up.
7. Pour 2 cups of water.
8. Simmer covered with a small vent open to let out the steam. Cooking on a low heat makes the soup tasty.
9. Once the veggies are tender, add the cooked pasta and stir. Add more water if needed to suit your consistency.
10. Cook for 2 to 3 mins.
11. Add pepper.
12. Add oregano.
Serve hot or warm with spicy roasted boiled eggs or toasted bread.