Pomegranate juice recipe or Anar juice recipe – A detailed step by step photo guide to deseed pomegranate and juice the arils. Homemade fresh pomegranate juice is refreshing, delicious and so much superior in taste than the store bought bottled pomegranate juice.
So it absolutely makes sense to put in a little effort to deseed the fruit, juice them and enjoy straight away from the juicer or the blender.
Pomegranate or Anar is one of those beautiful looking and delicious fruit that is loved by everyone. Apart from juicing, pomegranate arils are also used for many culinary purposes like making desserts, sauces, syrups, jams and even for flavoring foods in Indian cuisine.
Pomegranate is a fruit cultivated from the ancient times in many countries.
In India a lot of homes also grow these in their back yard. Pomegranate is considered to be a symbol of prosperity and is also offered to the Hindu Gods during religious ceremonies, pooja and festivals.
During the festive season (August to November), usually most Indian homes have this fruits in abundance as they are in season.
How to make pomegranate juice at home
1. Wash pomegranates under running water. Cut off the crown.
2. Similarly cut down the bottom part of the fruit. This loosens the rind as it looses the strength on both the parts.
3. Make 4 slightly deep incisions as you see in the picture.
4. Hold 2 of the parts and gently separate them. Without messing up, the fruit gets divided to 4 parts. Pomegranates stain the work tops and even the clothes. A few disposable tissues or a kitchen cloth is helpful.
5. Remove the seeds to a large bowl, they come off easily. Prepare the other fruits you like to use.
6. I use a large piece of ginger as it helps to prevent colds since cold pressed juice is quite cooling to the body. You can skip ginger in summers. I squeeze a large lemon & add a bit of Himalayan salt too into the juice pot.
Consume pomegranate juice fresh before it begins to oxidize. If you prefer cold juice, refrigerate or freeze the seeds for some time and then juice them. Adding ice cubes dilutes the juice and reduces the taste & the nutrition values as well.
Tips to make pomegranate juice
Choosing pomegranates: Always choose the fruits that have a smooth blemish free skin with a fresh moist look. Avoid buying them if the skin is even slightly low in moisture or dried. It is hard to peel such pomegranates.
2 ways to deseed : There are 2 ways you can deseed a pomegranate. I have shown the first method in the step by step instructions. The second method is to quarter the fruit and then place each one in a bowl filled with water.
Deseed it in the water bowl. This method is great if the arils are firm. Avoid this method if they are even slightly softer or soggy.
Combinations: There are several fruits you can use in combination with pomegranates to juice. The most popular one is the apple pomegranate combo.
Since pomegranate juice is high in iron, combining it with fruits high in vitamin C may help the absorption of iron. So we normally use a lemon or or few oranges or apple while juicing pomegranates.
Pomegranate juice or anar juice can be made in a blender, centrifugal juicer or a cold press juicer. A juice made in cold press juicer is the most delicious.
If you do not have one, you can also use a regular blender with a smoothie or juicing jar. You will have to strain the juice after blending.
Pomegranate juice or anar juice recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 kg pomegranate (about 5 large)
- 1 lemon (or 4 oranges or 3 to 4 kiwis or any citrus fruit)
- 1 to 2 inches ginger (if making in a slow juicer, skip in summer)
- 2 to 3 pinches Himalayan salt (optional) (skip if making for babies)
How to remove seeds of pomegranate
- Wash the pomegranates under running water. Wash the other citrus fruits you intend to use.
- Cut the crown and the bottom part of the pomegranate.
- Make 4, slightly deep incisions on the fruit length wise starting from the crown to the bottom.
- Hold 2 of the parts and separate them gently. This divides the fruit into 4 parts.
- Seed the fruit and add them to a large bowl.
- Rinse the ginger and peel it.
- Prepare the other citrus fruit cutting them as desired.
How to make pomegranate juice
- Add the mixed fruits to your blender or juicer chute. If making in a blender, fill only half of the jar.
- Pulse and a few times until the pomegranate seeds are crushed.
- Pass through a strainer and collect the juice in a large bowl. If making for a baby, pass it through a muslin cloth placed over a strainer.
- Serve pomegranate juice immediately.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes