Shankarpali recipe with video and step by step photos. Shankarpali is one of the crispy deep fried festive snacks popular in Maharashtra & Karnataka. These are usually made with maida or plain flour and are also known as maida biscuits or sweet diamond cuts in South India. These are great to serve as a tea time snack and they keep good for 2 to 3 weeks.
Shankarpali can also be made with whole wheat flour / atta or maida and atta in equal quantities. I do not use maida for any of our foods at home except for a tablespoon or 2 of the organic plain flour for some Indo chinese recipes.
Though my mother used to make these often during our childhood, I never made these for my kids & they had never tasted them.
During our last visit to India, my kids had these shankarpali made with maida in one of my friend’s home and loved them.
During the June holidays, I tried these with atta and found a lot of difference in the flavor, texture and taste. So this time I made these in small quantity using Organic unbleached Plain flour.
Sweet shankarpali recipe
Shankarpali recipe (sweet diamond cuts)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for shankarpali
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar organic
- 2.5 to 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 Pinch salt
- ¼ tsp elaichi or green cardamom powder
- 1 cup plain flour organic / maida or atta (half /half works good too)
- Oil for deep frying
How to make the recipe
- Add sugar, ghee and water to a pot.
- Heat until sugar dissolves completely. Cool this down for sometime.
- The syrup must be slightly hot and not completely cold.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt and cardamom powder along with hot syrup.
- Make a stiff dough.
- Knead well until the dough turns soft. Divide the dough to 4 balls and roll them to smoothen.
How to make shankarpali
- Grease the rolling board and flatten a dough ball.
- Begin to roll to a 6 to 7 inch roti which is neither too thick nor too thin.
- Make cuts with 3/4 to 1 inch apart vertically. Then repeat horizontally to get sweet diamond cuts.
- Separate them and transfer to a plate.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Check if the oil is hot by gently sliding a small piece of dough. It should rise slowly.
- When it is hot enough gently slide them to the hot oil one after the other.
- Keep stirring & fry until golden & crisp.
- Drain them to a kitchen tissue.
- Cool sweet shankarpali completely and store in a air tight jar.
Video of Sweet shankarpali recipe – Diamond cuts
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
Making sugar syrup
1. Add 1/4 cup sugar to a pot. I used organic sugar.
2. Add 1/4 cup water.
3. Add 2.5 to 3 tbsp ghee or oil. I used ghee.
4. Stir and begin to heat on a low flame until the sugar melts. Switch off and take away from heat. Do not overcook this mixture, sugar may crystallize.
5. Switch off and allow the temperature to come down.
6. Add 1 cup flour to a mixing bowl. Add a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp cardamom powder.
7. Make sure the mixture is still slightly hot not very hot. Just hot as much as we can bear.
8. Knead the dough well. The dough must be stiff and not sticky. If the dough is sticky then you can just add 1 tbsp of flour and knead. I did not use any more flour.
9. Divide the dough to 4 parts and roll them to balls.
How to make sweet shankarpali recipe
10. Grease the rolling area or board. Begin to roll a ball. Keep the rest of the balls in a warm place covered to prevent turning hard.
11. Roll it to a neither too thin or too thick chapathi.
12. With the help of a cutter or knife, begin to cut the chapathi vertically with 3/4 inch lines apart. Repeat horizontally to get diamond shapes.
13. Separate them and remove to a plate. You can finish making all the diamond cuts and spread them on different plates.
14. Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot enough, add few to the kadai and fry them stirring until golden.
15. Drain Sweet shankarpali to a kitchen tissue.
Cool sweet diamond cuts completely and store in a air tight steel or glass jar.