Singapore fried rice recipe – Having stayed for more than a decade in Singapore, I haven’t found any fried rice that is specific to Singapore. We do get a variety of fried rice served in restaurants but there is nothing served as Singapore fried rice.
Singapore fried rice is a spicy hot rice that is available in some chinese take aways and also served as a street food in India. It is on the spicier side which is made with a variety of hot sauces like peri peri sauce or red chilli sauce. Peri peri is one of Asia’s hottest sauces available and is used for a variety of dishes from pasta, noodles to grilled chicken recipes.
Singapore fried rice is best served during winters for a quick dinner. I have shared a vegetarian version of the recipe. However you can also add an egg, shredded chicken or prawns as per your liking. Just marinate them in some sauce and saute it first before adding the veggies.
Singapore fried rice recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rice , long grain, (cook to keep the rice grainy)
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped finely
- 2 tbsp olive or sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp pepper crushed
veggies (you can use broccoli and mushrooms too)
- ½ cup spring onions or leeks
- ½ cup bell peppers (red, green and yellow)
- ¼ cup carrots coarsely shredded
- 1 green chilies slit or chopped
- salt as needed
- ½ tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp hot red chilli sauce or peri peri sauce
- 1 tbsp Light Soya sauce
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- Wash and soak rice for about 15 minutes. Cook rice in lot of water till al dente and drain off the water. Cool the rice completely.
- Heat oil in a wok on a high flame, add garlic and sauté to get an aroma.
- Add the spring onions, chili and carrots, toss for 2 mins.
- Add capsicums, drizzle some salt and continue frying till they are half done, do not fry for long as they tend to turn soggy soon.
- Add in the rice evenly.
- Mix all the sauces and pour on the rice evenly. Add pepper powder and toss on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes
- Singapore fried rice is ready to serve.
If you wish to add in eggs, you can use about 2 to 3 in the recipe.
You can use about 150 grams of shredded chicken. Just marinate it in 1 tsp soya sauce and 1 tbsp hot sauce. Add them to the pan after frying garlic, when it is cooked then add in the veggies.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes