Egg fried rice recipe with video & step by step photos- This can be prepared under 30 minutes, including cooking rice freshly. It is wholesome and nutritious on its own and does not need any side dish. But can be accompanied with any Indo Chinese foods like manchurian or chilli potato.
Egg fried rice can also be made using boiled eggs. This recipe is similar to the easy veg fried rice I shared before. But this one is with an addition of eggs. If you are looking for quick dinner ideas , do try this.
You can plus or minus the ingredients based on their availability or to suit your taste.
Using star anise, mace, celery and garlic add great flavors to the rice that one can often find in restaurant served Indo chinese foods. I suggest using them, if you do not want to use soya sauce.
I have used vinegar which also kills the smell of eggs. If you wish to use tomato or chili sauce, you can add it along with vinegar.
In the video, I have not used mace or star anise. I have also used cabbage which adds flavor like the restaurant style egg fried rice.
Preparation for egg fried rice
1. Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes. Cook till al dente. Do not make it mushy. While the rice cooks, you can carry on making the scrambled eggs.
Heat oil in a wok or pan on the highest flame. Add chopped garlic. Fry till the garlic smells lightly fried. If you have, use 1 strand of mace and a small piece of star anise / flower. For making 4 serving you can use 1 star anise. If you like to use soya sauce you can skip mace and star anise.
2. Add in carrots, capsicums, spring onions whites.
3. Fry on a high heat till they are almost cooked, but crunchy.
How to make egg fried rice
4. Lower the flame to medium. Break the eggs to a bowl and add them to the pan. You can also beat the eggs until frothy and add them here to make the egg fluffy .
5. Lightly scramble them and cook till soft cooked. Add vinegar.
6. If using soya sauce, add it now. Using soya sauce too often or too much is unhealthy. You can also make egg fried rice without soya sauce.
7. Sprinkle salt evenly including on the veggies.
8. Add pepper powder. Mix everything well and cook until eggs are fully cooked.
9. Add spring onion greens. Stir and fry for a minute.
10. Add cooked and cooled rice, a bit more of salt and oil if needed.
11. Mix well. Put on the flame to very high and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve egg fried rice hot.
Chinese egg fried rice recipe
Egg fried rice recipe | How to make egg fried rice | Egg rice recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rice , uncooked or 3 cups cooked rice
- 1½ tsp vinegar (adjust to taste)(I use apple cider)
- 1½ tsp soya sauce (adjust to taste) (use organic)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp crushed pepper or pepper powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 ½ tbsp Olive oil or sesame oil
- 3 tbsp spring onions chopped, (green and whites separated)
- 1 medium carrot chopped (optional)
- ½ cup capsicum small / bell peppers cubed
- ½ cup cabbage shredded (optional)
- 3 eggs small or 2 large
Preparation for egg fried rice
- Wash rice and soak for 30 mins. Drain the rice.
- Cook rice till al dente in lot of water. You can skip this if you are using left over rice. Cool the rice completely.
- Chop the veggies. Set aside.
- Break the eggs to a bowl and set aside. You can also beat the eggs if you like fluffy egg.
Making egg fried rice
- To be cooked on high flame. Heat a pan with oil, add chopped garlic. Fry till the garlic is lightly fried. You can also add a strand of mace and piece of star anise for flavor.
- Add chopped veggies, white parts of spring onions and fry them till they wilt off. For about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to medium. Pour eggs and scramble them and cook till they are lightly done.
- Sprinkle pepper, salt and vinegar, combine everything well and cook till the eggs are fully cooked. Do not overcook.
- Add green parts of spring onions and mix everything well. Add rice and mix. If needed add little more oil.
- Fry on the highest flame for about 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust salt and spice as needed.
- Garnish egg fried rice with some spring onions and serve.
Video of egg fried rice recipe
NUTRITION (estimation only)
- For health reasons, use naturally brewed or organic soya sauce. Avoid chemically processed soya sauce.
- You can also skip soya sauce and vinegar, just spice up the egg fried rice with more green chilies and crushed pepper.
- You can also use tamari in place of soya sauce.
- For a spicier version, use schezwan sauce or sri racha sauce.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes