Mushroom fried rice recipe – Aromatic, fluffy and delicious fried rice always gets the thumps up from hungry foodies. This quick version made with mushrooms and bell peppers is no exception. One of those “less than 30 minutes” recipes you need to bookmark, especially, if you enjoy mushrooms and love adding them to different dishes.
The mushroom fried rice is a satisfying meal in itself, but goes well with tasty sides including chili or Manchurian gravy and tofu. You can even serve this with chicken or cauliflower wings for a heartier meal for a weekend lunch or dinner. This dish is also a healthy and easy lunch box option.
Mushroom Fried Rice
The smoky and umami flavor of the fried rice comes from wok style cooking. When you sauté the mushrooms in soy sauce and oil on high heat, the mushrooms get caramelized and taste great. Together they create a dish that sings with a flavor that lingers long after you’ve had the last spoonful.
Small wonder then, that Indo-Chinese dishes like mushroom fried rice is a hit with everyone including kids.
About my recipe
My recipe makes you a wholesome dish in under 30 minutes when you’re cooking from scratch. Use leftover or precooked rice and you can serve it in 15 minutes or less.
I’ve stir-fried capsicum in this recipe, as I like to add vegetables to make a healthier dish for kids. You can simply add your favorite mushrooms from the regular button variety to exotic shiitake or portobellos.
For more flavor, add mixed vegetables, other bell peppers, green peas, bean sprouts or egg. Use spring onions, cabbage or celery to get the restaurant flavor.
Not a fan of soy sauce or bored of it? Skip it and use any of your favorite store-bought sauce.
How To Make Mushroom Rice (Stepwise Photos)
Cook the rice
Skip this section if you have precooked or leftover rice. Use 1 cup of cooked rice for this recipe.
1. Soak ½ cup of basmati (jasmine rice or sona masuri) for 10 to 20 mins. Rinse the rice at least thrice to remove excess starch (as this will make it sticky). Soaking also prevents the grains from becoming dry and hard after you stir fry it.
2. Add 3 to 4 cups of water to a large pot or saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil on medium high heat. As the water begins to boil, drain the rice. Add it to the boiling water. Also add 1 teaspoon oil to the water. Continue to cook on a medium high heat to al dente (tender and chewy, but not mushy).
The rice will quickly cook in a few minutes, so keep checking to prevent overcooking. The grains must be separated yet fully cooked.
Cool the rice and prep ingredients
Drain the cooked rice quickly to a colander. And cool it until all the steam vanishes. Fluff it up with a fork and cover it when the rice is perfectly al dente. This prevents it from drying and getting too chewy.
Troubleshooting: If your rice feels overcooked and on the softer side, drizzle a tablespoon of oil on the hot rice and spread it with a fork. Cool the rice without covering it.
While the rice is cooling, chop the onions, mushrooms and capsicum. Keep other ingredients ready.
Make The Mushroom Fried Rice
Heat 1 to 1½ tablespoon olive oil (or oil of choice) in a wok or pan. Add 2 chopped cloves of garlic and sauté on a high heat until aromatic.
Now add the white part of 1 spring onion or regular onion (finely chopped). Sauté for a minute.
Add ½ cup of bell peppers or capsicum, 1 to 1 ½ cup of thinly sliced mushrooms of choice and 1 slit green chili.
Sauté until they turn tender and are cooked completely. Mushrooms tend to let out water and cook in their own juice. If you mushrooms are drier, then you cover and cook on a low heat.
Add ¾ to 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to the sauteed veggies. Continue cooking on high flame. Skip soya sauce and vinegar if preferred, and add any readymade sauce.
Add ¾ teaspoon of vinegar
Add the cooked rice, pepper powder (as per taste) and spring onion greens. Sprinkle salt (as per taste) evenly over the fried rice.
Mix everything well and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Serve Mushroom fried rice hot as standalone dish or with sides.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 to 1½ tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic (fine chopped)
- 1 to 2 sprigs spring onions (scallions or 2 to 3 tbsps of chopped onions)
- ½ cup bell peppers (sliced capsicum, any color)
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced (more if required)
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- ¾ to 1 tablespoon soya sauce (adjust to taste) (or any other sauce of choice)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon vinegar (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (crushed)
- salt (only if required)
- 1 to 1½ cups cooked rice (or ½ cup raw rice)
- For this recipe you require fluffy and al dente cooked rice. If you have precooked rice you may proceed to the next section.
- Pour 3 cups of water in a large pot and bring it to a boil. Add 1 tsp oil to the water.
- Meanwhile rinse rice well a few times in a colander or in a bowl to remove all of the surface starch. Soak the rice until the water comes to a boil.
- When the water begins to boil rapidly, drain the water from the rice and add it to the water.
- Let the rice cook until al dente, meaning fully cooked yet firm and not mushy. Drain the rice to a colander. Cover and set aside. Let cool completely. If the rice is overcooked by mistake, simply drizzle some oil over the rice and spread it on a tray and cool completely.
How To Make Mushroom Fried Rice
- Heat a wok with oil on a high heat. Fry garlic until it turns aromatic without burning it.
- Fry spring onion whites or sliced onions for 1 min.
- Add mushrooms, capsicum and chili. Stir fry until they are cooked al dente and not mushy.
- Pour soya sauce , vinegar and saute for a minute . You may also skip soya sauce and vinegar and use any other preferred sauce.
- Add cooked rice, salt if required, black pepper and spring onions greens. Saute for 2 mins.
- Serve mushroom fried rice hot.
- For more nutrition, add veggies like green peas or beans sprouts.
- To make it more protein rice, use 2 beaten eggs. For this, scramble eggs in the pan before you begin to make the fried rice. When the eggs are just cooked yet soft remove it to a bowl. Add it back to the pan at the last step.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
Mushroom fried rice recipe first published in January 2016. Updated and republished in November 2021.