Stuffed capsicum recipe – Stuffed bell peppers are a popular dish across the world. These are so many different kinds of fillings made to stuff the bell peppers. They can be filled with meat, veggies, cheese, rice or even with noodles. Here I have shared the recipe for vegetarian stuffed bell peppers.
These pan grilled stuffed capsicum are delicious with a burst of Indian flavors. They can be eaten as a appetizer or a side in your meal. My kids love them as a after school snack with this tomato soup or with sandwiches.
I consider these stuffed capsicum to be healthy as they are pan fried and loaded with veggies. You can use any kind of bell peppers – large or tinker bell peppers.
To make the stuffing, I have used potatoes, peas and carrot. Veggies like Cauliflower, baby corn, sweet corn, sweet potatoes or mushrooms can also be used. A handful of roasted cashews or peanuts can also be added to the stuffing to add crunch.
These potato stuffed bell peppers can also be grilled in a oven. It is convenient to oven grill especially when you make a large batch.
1. Boil or steam the veggies. I prefer to steam the potatoes first.
2. When the potatoes are 3/4th cooked, i add carrots and peas to the steam basket. Steam for a little longer until just cooked.
3. Rinse the capsicums. Small to medium sized ones work better, else they will have to be cut before serving.
4. Cut off the tops. I also cut slightly on the bottom for frying them conveniently.
5. Deseed them gently.
How to make stuffed capsicum recipe
6. Heat a pan with oil. Fry cumin and garlic until the garlic smells good.
7. Add sliced onions. I also added the tiny chunks of capsicum which i got after cutting the top.
8. When the onions turn golden, add red chili powder,garam masala or any other spice powder and crushed kasuri methi.
9. Saute just for a minute.
10. Add the steamed veggies and chopped coriander leaves.
11. Mash them well. Add salt as needed. Mix with the onion masala.
12. Stuff the capsicums.
13. Heat the same pan with oil. Add the stuffed peppers.
14. Cover and cook on a medium to low flame until the capsicum is half cooked or fully cooked to suit your taste. These can be grilled in a preheated oven at 160 C for 8 to 15 mins.
15. Sprinkle very little chaat masala mixed with a pinch of salt.
Serve stuffed capsicums warm.
Tips to make stuffed capsicum
- You can sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on the bell peppers.
- Potatoes can be replaced with sweet potatoes or even with some cooked quinoa.
- If you love paneer, then you can stuff the paneer bhurji.
- You can simply scramble some eggs and fill it in the bell peppers.
- Stuff it with this chicken keema to make them chicken stuffed bell peppers.
- To make them keema stuffed peppers, make this mutton keema and stuff.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 3 to 4 medium capsicums medium (6 if tinker bell)
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 medium carrot
- ¼ cup green peas
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves or 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 onion sliced
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala powder or as needed (optional)
- Steam potatoes, carrots & peas until fork tender, without making them mushy.
- Chop off the bell pepper tops and set aside. Deseed them as well.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Fry cumin and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Then add the onions & saute until golden.
- Add chili powder, garam masala, kasuri methi. Mix & saute for 1 min.
- Next add the steamed veggies and mash them. Mix together salt and coriander leaves.
- Stuff the bell peppers with this potato mixture. Fry them in 1 tbsp oil stirring often. You can also cover and cook for sometime.
- To bake them preheat the oven at 160 C and bake for 8 to 15 mins depending on the size of capsicums.
- Serve stuffed bell peppers as a appetizer or side in your meal.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
For more vegetarian side dishes you can check this collection of veg curries.