Instant sweet paniyaram recipe using whole wheat flour. These wheat flour appam are quick to make any time as it simplifies the entire process of soaking and grinding rice, the way it is made in the traditional method. I have added a banana to enhance the sweet flavor and can also be skipped.
These Instant sweet paniyaram are best prepared with fresh coconut and cooked in ghee. I made these a few months ago during one of the festival days for the evening Naivedyam. These also make a quick evening snack for the kids after their school and also go well in the school box.
These turn out to be a bit dense without the addition of soda, if not making for offering then do use soda. It helps to make them slightly lighter.
There is a small quantity of rice flour added in this recipe, if you do not eat rice on certain days then you can replace it with bombay rava or chiroti rava.
Instant sweet paniyaram recipe (whole wheat appam)
Instant sweet paniyaram
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup whole wheat flour / atta
- 1 banana medium sized or 2 small bananas – 110 grams
- 2 tbsps rice flour (can be replaced with semolina)
- 2 tbsps coconut grated
- ½ cup jaggery grated, or karupatti or palm jaggery
- ½ cup water to melt jaggery
- pinch soda (skip if making for naivedyam)
- 2 pinches cardamom powder / elaichi
- water as needed for batter
How to make the recipe
- Dissolve jaggery in half cup slightly hot water. Set aside.
- Mash the banana very well in a bowl. Filter the jaggery to the mashed banana.
- Add coconut.
- Add flours and then soda.
- Mix well using more water as needed to make a batter of thick pouring consistency. (refer the picture). Do not add too much water. The batter must be free from lumps.
Making whole wheat flour sweet appam
- Grease paniyaram pan with ghee and add ghee in each of the moulds. When the ghee turns hot, pour batter with a tbsp to fill 3/4 of the mould.
- When the base sets and turns lightly golden to brown, flip them with a skewer or wooden spoon.
- Cook until the other side too cooks and the edges turn golden.
- Make sweet paniyaram or sweet appam in batches. Serve hot or cold.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make Whole wheat flour sweet appam
1. Heat half cup water in a pan. Switch off and add grated jaggery or karupatti. I used raw jaggery.
2. Stir and dissolve it completely.
3. This is the ripe banana I used. It weighed about 110 grams (with skin on) and was 6 inches long. We are adding banana only to enhance the sweet flavor. Using too much banana may make them very dense, so giving you more details about size and weight. You can reduce the quantity of banana.
4. Mash the banana very well.
5. Filter the jaggery syrup.
6. Add coconut and cardamom powder.
7. Add rice flour and wheat flour. Mix very well and make a thick batter using more water as needed.
8. Make sure the batter is of thick but pouring consistency and has to be lump free. Whisk very well for a minute.
9. Grease your paniyaram pan very well. Add ghee as desired and heat it.
10. Fill the moulds upto 3/4 level with batter.
11. Cover and cook for few minutes. Check if the base if firm and has been cooked to golden. Then flip them with a skewer, chop stick or wooden spoon and cook until completely cooked or the edges turn brown.
12. You can flip them again to make them slightly crisp.
Serve sweet paniyaram hot or cold as desired.