Sweet potato curry – Simple, quick, healthy & delicious sweet potato curry made in South Indian style. Sweet potatoes are rich in iron, vitamin B, C, D and have many health benefits. They are good for peole of all age groups. Though they are high in carbs. Due to their high fiber, they don’t spike the sugar levels even in diabetics and don’t contribute to weight gain. Hence make them a better food than potatoes. With so many health benefits, it’s a good idea to include them in our diet.
sweet potato curry is easy to prepare and can be done under 30 minutes. It tastes mildly spicy and sweet. We absolutely love the quick sweet potato stir fry. i also make potato and sweet potato pulusu, a sweet and sour tasting stew from Andhra cuisine.
Sweet potato curry recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 cup onions chopped finely
- 1 cup tomatoes red ripe , chopped or pureed
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 tsp ginger grated or ginger paste
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp Coriander powder (optional)
- ½ to 1 tsp garam masala or any curry powder as desired
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsps Oil as needed
- ¼ tsp mustard (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 Pinch hing or asafoetida (optional)
How to make the recipe
- If you do not have coriander powder, add 2 tsps. Coriander seeds and then garam masala powder and red chili powder to a dry blender jar and powder together. That helps to make a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, mustard, and allow them to splutter. Add hing, ginger and then the curry leaves. Fry together till you smell the ginger good. Do not burn.
- Add onions, & green chilies. Fry till they turn golden.
- Next add tomatoes and sprinkle salt, turmeric. Saute for 2 mins
- On a low flame cover and cook till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy. The onion tomato mixture should blend well.
- While the tomatoes cook, you can peel and cube the sweet potatoes, add them to water till we use.
- Add chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder and red chili powder. Fry for about 1 to 2 minutes without burning.
- Next add sweet potato cubes, pour the same water we used to keep them. Just use enough water to immerse the sweet potatoes.
- Cook on a low flame, till they are soft cooked. You can adjust salt and spice at this stage.
- Keep covered for about 15 minutes for the flavors to absorb well by the sweet potato curry. Garnish with coriander leaves.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
To make sweet potato curry, we don’t need to grind any masala or paste. We can make use of any light spice powder or garam masala powder or only coriander powder will be fine.
How to make sweet potato curry
1. Wash, peel and cube sweet potatoes. Add them to a bowl of salted water till used otherwise they get discolored. Heat oil. Add mustard & cumin. When they splutter add curry leaves & hing. When they turn crisp add ginger paste and fry till aromatic.
2. Add onions, green chili and salt.
3. When they turn transparent add tomatoes or tomato puree. Sprinkle salt & turmeric. Saute well for 2 mins.
4. Add garam masala, coriander powder & red chili powder. Stir and fry for a minute.
5. Add cubed sweet potatoes.
6. Stir well.
7. Add the water we used to soak the sweet potatoes just enough to immerse them.
8. Simmer and cook till sweet potatoes turn tender and cooked. Check salt and add more if needed.
Serve sweet potato curry with rice.