7 cup burfi recipe – an easy 7 cup cake or 7 cups sweet made with besan. This barfi recipe gets its name “7 cup burfi” since 7 cup of ingredients are used to make it. It tastes very close to the traditional Mysore pak but with an additional taste & aroma of coconut. It tastes very delicious and is good to make only for occasions like festivals or celebrations as it has high amount of sugar in it.
To make this 7 cup burfi, we don’t need to check sugar syrup consistency which means it is easy even for beginners.
You can also check this complete collection of over 100 diwali recipes.
This recipe is made with 1 cup each of besan, milk, ghee,coconut and 3 cups of sugar. The 7 cups sweet recipe I have shared here is a modified version that has less sugar in it. There is no standard cup size to follow, we can just use any cup
Using the traditional recipe, the 7 cup burfi turns out overly sweetened and that’s how it is made. I made it a few times before and each time i tried reducing 1/4 cup of sugar. This time i made it with 2 cups instead of 3 cups and it turned out just right in taste, sweetness and texture.
The color of the burfi can be slightly different if the flour is roasted a bit more and more sugar is added. This can also be made to a soft set burfi, do check the notes mentioned in the recipe below.
Preparation for 7 cups burfi recipe:
Grease a tray or an aluminium foil to pour the mixture. You can also use a parchment paper. Set this aside.
Grease a knife and set aside.
You can also add tiny chunks of cashews or pistachios to this, if you like to use, chop them and keep them ready.
Do read the notes mentioned in the recipe card if you like to try the recipe.
7 cup burfi or 7 cup cake
7 cup burfi recipe | 7 cup cake | 7 cups sweet | Seven cups sweet
7 cup cake is a burfi made using 7 cups of ingredients. This is a modified recipe and can be made with reduced amount of sugar, so the total ingredients come up to 6 cups.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ½ cup besan or gram flour or kadalai maavu
- ½ cup coconut or cashew powder (can use frozen or desiccated coconut)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup ghee (can reduce by 1 tbsp)
- 1 cup sugar (can increase to 1¼ cups)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder or elaichi
How to make the recipe
Preparation for 7 cup burfi
Please read the notes before you try. Grease a tray and set aside. You can also use a parchment paper or greased foil. Grease a spatula or the base of the cup to level the barfi.
Add ½ cup besan to a heavy bottom pan or kadai. On a low to medium flame fry until it turns aromatic. Keep stirring continuously to prevent burning.
Then add ½ cup coconut or cashew powder. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
How to make 7 cup burfi
Next add 1 cup sugar. Pour ½ cup milk and ¼ cup ghee. Stir well.
- Cook on a medium heat until it begins to bubble well.
Add cardamom/ elaichi powder.
Continue cooking until the mixture begins to thicken. Pour 4 tbsps (¼ cup) of ghee. Hot ghee yields a burfi with lot of pores like mysore pak. For a soft set burfi just add ghee in any form you have - solid or liquid
Stir well and cook.
Be attentive as it reaches the final stage. The mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan and it turns porous (visible bubbles).
Pour this to the greased tray immediately. Level it with a greased cup or spatula.
Using a greased knife, draw lines on the 7 cup burfi when still hot.
- After a while, cut deeply. When cooled down, cut to pieces.
Store 7 cup burfi in a air tight jar.
If using 1¼ cups of sugar, the final consistency of the burfi mixture will be a bit more gooey than you see in the step by step picture.
If you like a soft set burfi and not one with pores, add all the ghee at one time in the beginning
7 cup burfi recipe – preparation
1. Measure ½ cup ghee and set aside.
2. Add ½ cup besan to a heavy bottom pan and begin to roast until it turns fragrant on a medium flame. Do not let it brown. Keep stirring constantly.
3. Add ½ cup coconut or cashew powder and mix well. To make cashew powder you can just pulse ½ cup cashews in a mixer to a coarse powder. Do not blend at a stretch otherwise it will release oil.
4. Lower the flame and roast for 2 to 3 minutes. Again do not let the flour discolor.
5. Add 1 cup sugar.
6. Pour ½ cup milk.
7. Pour ¼ cup ghee.
How to make 7 cup burfi
8. Mix well. Put on the flame to medium. The sugar melts and the mixture turns gooey. Keep stirring from here to the end without interrupting else the mixture gets burnt. It takes around 10 to 12 minutes for the mixture to reach the final stage, but do not go by the time. Just for an approximation i mentioned it.
9. After few minutes, you will see the mixture begins to bubble. Continue stirring.
10. Add cardamom powder. Continue to stir and cook until the mixture thickens.
11. When you see the consistency of the mixture thickens, add ¼ cup ghee. Preferably hot this time to get a porous texture. If you want a soft burfi then you can add ghee just as it is. Stir well again for the mixture to absorb the ghee.
13. You will find the mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan. But still quite runny. Continue to cook. Be attentive as it is going to reach the final stage. Adjust the flame if needed.
14. The mixture thickens and you can see lot of pores (bubbles) in the mixture. The mixture completely leaves the sides now. If you cook past this stage, burfi will break or become powder.
Setting 7 cup burfi
15. Quickly pour the mixture to a greased tray. Level it with a greased flat spatula or a cup or bowl. While the 7 cup cake is still hot, draw lines carefully with a greased knife. After a while, cut them deeply with a knife. When it cools down completely , cut them to pieces.
I doubled the recipe so I got many pieces.
Store 7 cup burfi in a air tight jar. When it cools completely the color lightens.