Mawa barfi recipe – Learn how to make barfi using mawa or khoya with step by step photos. Wishing everyone a very happy new year, may this new year bring in lot of joy and peace to everyone. Year 2015 arrives with a specialty, i.e Vaikunta ekadashi or mukkoti ekadashi falls on the day of new year, a special day when Lord vishnu or Sri Hari is worshipped. To welcome the new year I made an easy mawa barfi that took just 15 minutes.
Barfi is an Indian sweet, traditionally it used to be made by condensing milk and then sweetened with sugar. There are also variations of making barfi without milk like peanut burfi, maida burfi,kaju barfi or coconut barfi. To know more about burfi, you can check this collection of 16 barfi recipes.
Barfi recipe shared here, is an easy one. All we need is mawa and sugar.we also call this as plain barfi, mawa burfi or khoya burfi. To keep it simple i have not used any garnishing, you can use pistas or choco chips to make it look colorful. You can even use kesar/ saffron for added flavor and light color.
If you plan to try this mawa barfi recipe, do stick on to the measurements mentioned below. Otherwise the results might vary and the barfi can turn sticky and get discolored.
Mawa barfi recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
240 ml cup used
- 2 1/2 cups mawa crumbled / khoya (12 oz or 340 grams)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp rose essence or kewra essence (optional)
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- ghee for greasing foil
- 2 tbsp nuts chopped (optional)
- 1 to 2 tbsp milk powder (optional, last instruction)
How to make the recipe
- Grease a aluminum foil and set aside.Make sure khoya is at room temperature. Crumble it and measure.Add it to a pan along with sugar, rose water, cardamom powder.
- begin to cook on a low flame stirring, sugar melts and makes the mixture gooey.Continue to cook stirring constantly but gently.
- With in few minutes, the mixture turns to a single mass. Transfer this to the foil and spread it with the spatula. Allow it to cool completely. Cut to desired shapes with a knife or pizza cutter. cool completely and store in a airtight container. Refrigerate and use with in 3 to 4 days.
- This step is optional.If your burfi doesn’t set or turns sticky and you are unable to cut it well. Then add milk powder and knead the mixture. Make a square and then cut it.I did not use.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make barfi recipe with step by step photos
1. Grease a aluminum foil or use a butter paper/ parchment paper. Keep it ready and set aside.
2. Bring mawa or khoya to room temperature before you crumble it. Then measure it and add to a pan along with sugar, cardamom powder and rose water.
3. Begin to heat on a low flame, stirring constantly.
4. Mawa and sugar will begin to melt and turn gooey.Continue to cook on a low flame stirring constantly.
5. All you need to do is just keep stirring gently till the mixture turns thick and becomes a mass. Do not whisk it vigorously, the end results will be sticky.The mixture should not get discolored, so cook it on a low flame. It took around 8 to 10 minutes for me to get to this stage. but i insist not to go by the timing as this can differ based on your flame or heat and also i take sometime to take the pictures in between.
6.Transfer the mixture to the greased foil. Spread it evenly with the wooden spatula used for stirring. When the temperature comes down slightly, make a square or rectangle.
7. Leave it to cool completely.I left it for around an hour. Cut to desired shapes. I prefer squares since there will be lesser uneven pieces left. When the mixture cools down, it should not be sticky otherwise you will not get good shapes. If it is sticky it means it is slightly under cooked. Then add the milk powder and knead the mixture. Make a square and cut to pieces. Adding milk powder is optional and is only a quick fix to the sticky barfi.
8. Cool mawa burfi completely. The color variations in the pictures are due to the different lighting sources.
Store mawa burfi in air tight jar and refrigerate.