Coconut burfi recipe with video & step by step photos. Coconut burfi is a delicious south Indian Sweet recipe made with coconut, sugar, milk and cardamom powder. It is one of the most commonly made sweet during festivals & celebrations in South India. Try this easy coconut burfi for Diwali! For more similar recipes, you can check this collection of 100 Diwali recipes.
To make coconut burfi we do not need to check any string consistency. So this makes it more simpler and easier for beginners.
There are different ways of making coconut burfi. I have shared 3 recipes in this post.
The first recipe uses coconut, milk, sugar and cardamom powder. It takes about 40 mins to make these rich & delicious burfi. This is the one I have made countless number of times as it needs no condensed milk or mawa like the other recipes.
There is no continuous stirring involved in the recipe except for the last 10 mins. So this makes it easier to prepare these.
The second recipe needs coconut, condensed milk and cardamom powder. This yields a delicious dessert very close to Kalakand but with the taste of coconut. It tastes very rich and very unique.
If you do not have much time to make the first recipe, then you can try this as it only takes only 10 mins to make.
The third recipe uses mawa and coconut. Even this one takes just about 10 mins to make. If you are left with mawa after making some other recipe, then you can use it up for this one.
Here are the tips to make coconut burfi
Coconut: Fresh or frozen coconut tastes best in a burfi as it is more flavorful. However if you are not accessible to it then you can use desiccated coconut.
I have used fresh grated coconut from the frozen section. You can also use home made hand grated coconut or the one from wet grinder attachment.
Process the coconut: If using large coconut gratings, then process it in a food processor or blender until slightly fine. This helps the coconut burfi to set well. Do not over blend to the extent the coconut begins to release the milk and fats.
Milk: I have made the first recipe using full fat milk. You can also substitute it with vegan milk like coconut milk or almond milk. If using homemade almond milk you don’t need to strain the milk to remove the pulp. You can simply soak the almonds, peel the skin and blend with water. Use it up here.
Flavorings: The flavor of cardamom powder goes well in this burfi. On various occasions I have also tried coconut burfi with different flavorings like rose water & kewra water. If you like the flavors you can use them if you do not have cardamom powder.
You can check the detailed steps below along with the step by step pictures.
You may also like to check these Coconut Recipes.
Coconut burfi recipe
Coconut burfi recipe | How to make coconut barfi | Nariyal barfi
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Recipe 1 – Ingredients for coconut burfi
- 4¼ cups coconut or nariyal 400 grams (fresh or desiccated)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ghee
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder or elaichi
- 2 tablespoons cashews chopped or pistachios
- 2 cups milk (can also reduce to 1 cup)
Recipe 2 – Ingredients for coconut burfi with condensed milk
- 1¾ cup desiccated coconut (fine)
- ½ tin condensed milk or milkmaid (about ½ cup + 2 tbsp)
- ½ cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder or elaichi powder
Recipe 3 – Coconut mawa burfi
- 2 cups desiccated coconut (150 grams)
- 1½ cups mawa (150 grams)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons pistachios or almonds (finely chopped for topping)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for coconut burfi
- Grease a pan or keep a parchment paper ready.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp ghee. Fry cashews until golden and remove to a plate.
Recipe – 1 – How to make coconut burfi
- Add coconut and pour milk.
- Mix and bring it to a boil on a medium flame.
- Reduce the heat and cook until the milk is evaporated.
- Then add sugar and cook until the moisture is completely evaporated.
- Add ghee and continue to cook stirring constantly until the mixture turns dry & leaves the pan.
- Press down the mixture with a spatula to check if there is any excess moisture.
- If it still has moisture then cook further to dry it. (check video)
- Keep stirring continuously at this stage and cook until the mixture turns dense, thick and sticky. It also turns very aromatic and leaves the pan. If you prefer a very soft set burfi then take it off a bit early.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased pan and press down with a spatula.
- Sprinkle nuts and keep aside at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours to set.
- Slice the coconut burfi. Leave it at room temperature for 8 to 10 hours to set completely.
- Cool and store coconut barfi in a air tight jar.
Recipe – 2 – Making coconut barfi with condensed milk
- To a pan, add coconut, desiccated coconut and milk.
- Mix and cook on a medium flame until the entire mixture turns thick and to a mass.
- Add cardamom powder and mix. Transfer this to a tray.
- Press down with a spatula. Sprinkle some nuts.
- Refrigerate for an hour. Cut coconut barfi to squares and enjoy.
Recipe 3 – Coconut burfi with mawa
- Grease a pan generously with ghee or line a parchment paper..
- Add mawa and sugar. Mix and begin to heat on a low to medium flame.
- Pour milk and let the mawa dissolve completely.
- Next add coconut & mix.
- Cook stirring continuously until the entire mixture turns thick and begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Soon the coconut burfi mixture turns to a mass.
- Then add in cardamom powder and mix.
- Transfer this to the greased pan and level with a spatula.
- Sprinkle nuts and press them down with the spatula again.
- When the mixture cools down to warm, cut the coconut burfi to desired shapes.
- Do not wait to cool completely as it may turn powdery.
- Remove from the tray only after cooling completely.
How to make coconut burfi recipe
1.Heat a pan, preferably a wide one to help cook the ingredients faster. Then add ghee and fry the broken cashews in ghee until lightly golden. Remove them to a plate.
2. Add coconut and pour milk.
3. Stir well until combined and bring the mixture to a boil.
4.Then reduce the flame and cook until the milk evaporates. This takes about 12 to 15 mins on a medium low heat. You don’t need to stir it constantly. Stir it every now and then.
5.Once the milk has almost evaporated, then add the sugar and mix.
6.The sugar melts and the entire mixture turns gooey. Again cook it stirring every now and then until the moisture evaporates.
7.Add 1 to 2 tsp ghee and then stir it continuously nonstop to dry up the moisture. If you stop at this stage the mixture can burn so keep the flame low and do it.
8.To check if it is done press down with a spatula. There should be no excess moisture in the coconut burfi mixture. If you find there is more moisture then cook for a little longer.
Consistency of coconut barfi mixture
9.Add cardamom powder and cook stirring until aromatic.
10.When it is done, the mixture turns dense, sticky, dry, heavy and very very aromatic. You can smell like the khoya cooked with sugar. The mixture will also leave the pan. For a completely soft set burfi, you can take off little early.
Transfer this to the greased pan and press down with a spatula. Sprinkle fried cashews and pistachios if desired. Press down again.
Allow to cool down and set for 3 to 4 hours. Then cut the burfi to squares. At this stage top portion will be totally dry and slightly crisp. If you don’t feel the crisp texture while cutting, it means you took it off early and need to cook for a little longer.
Leave it at room temperature overnight for the coconut burf to set completely and become firm.
After 12 hours, a well done coconut burfi should be dry & crisp on the top and slightly juicy inside. It should not be sticky at all on top.
Method 2 – Coconut burfi with condensed milk & desiccated coconut
1. To make this version of coconut burfi, we need fine desiccated coconut. The finer it is the more tasty and melt in the mouth it will be. I processed the coconut in mixer for 2 to 3 mins since mine was very very coarse.
You can dry roast few nuts for garnishing. Set aside to cool. I roasted 2 tbsp pistas and powdered coarsely in mixer.
2. For this recipe, we need 1 ¾ cup desiccated coconut. Powder it and then add it to a heavy bottom pan.
3. Next pour half tin sweetened condensed milk. It will be about half cup plus 2 tbsps. I used milk maid. Pour half cup full fat milk. Mix everything well. Break the lumps if any.
4. Cook this until the mixture thickens and turns to a mass. This just takes about 3 to 5 mins. Add a generous pinch of cardamom powder. Mix well.
5. Transfer this to a greased tray. Grease your finger with ghee and press it gently. Add cashews or pistachios. I like to add powdered pistachios. I sprinkled and pressed a bit. Refrigerate for one hour. Cut to desired sizes.
Refrigerate coconut burfi and consume within 3 days.
Recipe 3 – Coconut mawa burfi
Please check the recipe card for instructions