Anjeer barfi is made of dried figs and nuts, an easy guilt free sweet that is sugar free and can be prepared under 20 minutes. The sweetness for this burfi comes from the dried figs and little amount of dates and a good amount of mixed nuts are used to add crunch and volume. Some recipes call for mawa or milk powder to make an anjeer barfi which i have not used, Skeptical about the combo of anjeer with milk products.
Anjeer barfi is different from the date nut ladoo and dry fruits ladoo that i shared earlier. Each of these taste different since the ingredients used though similar are used in different proportions and the preparation method is different. dry fruits barfi and the dry fruits ladoo are a bit elaborate recipes and also use jaggery or sugar, but make a great treat for diwali.
For more sweet recipes, check collection of Diwali sweets recipes
find anjeer barfi recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3/4 cup figs dried , chopped, / anjeer
- 3/4 cup dates chopped (adjust to suit your taste)
- 2 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 3 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup nuts chopped (walnuts, almonds, cashews, pista)
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon or nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp oil or ghee (optional, use if not using a non stick pan)
How to make the recipe
- Chop the nuts, figs and dates. Measure them
- In a pan, dry roast nuts till crunchy and set aside.
- Add chopped figs and sprinkle 3 tbsp. water to the same pan and cook till they turn soft
- Add dates, raisins, cinnamon powder and cardamom powder. Mix and cook till everything turns mushy and sticky and thick.
- Add oil or ghee, if it sticks to the pan.(optional)
- Add nuts and stir well and mix. Now the mixture should look firm. If it looks soggy cook further for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add this to a greased plate, butter paper or foil. Roll with a rolling pin
- Cool this completely. Cut to squares.
- Consume within a day or refrigerate and finish with in a week
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make anjeer barfi recipe
1. Dry roast chopped nuts till crunchy. keep this aside in a plate
2. To the same pan, add chopped figs with 3 table spoons water to soften them. By the time i could take the picture, the water got evaporated. But make sure figs turn soft.
3. Add chopped dates, raisins, cinnamon or nutmeg powder and cardamom powder. cook on a low flame for few minutes
4. After 3 to 4 minutes, it turns mushy and stick. But this depends on the type of your dates too, but cook till they turn soft and mushy. I added 1 tsp. organic virgin coconut oil, this is optional. Since i used a stainless pan, it began to stick , so the oil helped me to cook it further without burning. If you are not using oil or ghee, use a non stick
5. Anjeer and dates mixture should become quite hot and thick, not soggy, else the burfi turns soggy and turns sticky while you cut.
6. Mix well. the mixture should looks firm and fairly dry like you see in the picture below. After adding nuts if the mixture doesn’t look firm, then cook for another two minutes. Transfer it to a greased plate, foil or butter paper. Spread the mixture with a rolling pin immediately and cool it. cut to pieces once it cools completely.
If using within a day, needs no refrigeration. Else refrigerate and use with in a week.