Like the popular Indian masala tea, apple tea is one of the staple drinks of Turkey and is enjoyed even with a meal. This tea is usually brewed with dried apples and tea leaves or tea bags. It is considered to be healthy too. I am sharing this apple tea recipe from my very old recipe dairy which I used to prepare during my stay in Bangalore.
apple tea recipe – learn to make one of the best apple cinnamon tea and experience the benefits.
Bangalore experiences really chilly winters and waking up to work early morning is something we would hate. I used to make this tea in bulk, refrigerate and heat up each morning to keep myself warm. I no longer make this in Singapore, since we do not experience such cold weather here. For all those lucky folks living in cold weathers, do try this apple cinnamon tea this winter to keep yourself warm.
I do not know the nutrition value of the apples in this apple cinnamon tea, but it certainly makes a great drink. The ingredients I use are apple, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, tea powder (or teabags) and honey. Honey only if drinking it warm else you can use your preferred sweetener, sugar or a low calorie sweetener. Do not add honey to hot tea.
These are the best ingredients not only to keep the body warm but also to soothe a sore throat or to open up blocked sinuses. For a detoxification, one can choose to use green tea leaves or green tea bags.
It can be made quickly and fresh each day in a microwave or can be brewed on stove top in large quantities and refrigerated. I chose the stove top brewed ones since the flavours are infused well. You can plus or minus ginger and pepper to suit to your liking or you can add more ingredients you desire. You can even use Matcha green tea powder, instead of adding tea with the spices; just add it at the end along with apples.
find below apple tea recipe
Apple tea recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 apple or 1/2 cup of minced apples (choose a delicious nice tasting apple)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick or (1/8 tsp cinnamon powder)
- ½ inch ginger piece or dry ginger powder as needed
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice (optional, if apples not sour)
- 4 pepper corn or pepper powder
- ½ tsp tea powder or leaves or 2 tea bags (use as needed)
- Honey or sugar as desired
How to make the recipe
- Add all the ingredients except sugar and apples to a deep pot and boil till it reduces to 2 cups.
- While the tea is brewing, wash, peel and mince the apple to pieces.
- Off the stove, add these minced apple pieces and cover the pot with a lid. Do not disturb for 5 mins. After 5 mins, strain the apple tea and add sugar. If it doesn’t remain hot, you can just heat up again. If you wish you can eat up the mushy warm apple too.
For a quick version of apple tea recipe:
- make in microwave, use powdered cinnamon, pepper and dry ginger. Do not try for a milk version with this recipe as apples might curdle the milk, but you can just stir the milk in the tea once it is brewed , but I don’t know how that tastes.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
If you are in the habit of binge eating processed foods, then this could cleanse your stomach. Yes, it’s true, begins to work after 12 to 18 hours of drinking 2 servings.
This apple tea recipe is not for pregnant women or a nursing mother. I do not know the after effects. All the above said are based on my experience.